Always trust the Oracle

Islander

Life of the Party
In the last post about my local lake, @Roper reminded me that there is wisdom to be had by consulting the Trout Oracle @Scott Salzer. So, I managed to get him to share some of his knowledge with me for my outing today. Now you have to realize that the Oracle doesn’t randomly impart his valuable information with just anyone and even those that know him well, usually have to entice him with quality microbrews or high end scotch whiskey. So when you do get the benefit of his sacred intel you should heed it. I proved that today at my own expense.

Got to the lake around 11:00 and shortly after was fishing a usual spot. I had done well with my crawdad flavored simi-seal leech yesterday so thought that would be the best to try today. The Oracle had told me that the pumpkin head should do well for me and I should have listened. I fished this spot for close to 20 minutes without a bump. Finally realizing I should follow the advice I was given, I switched over to a pumpkin head. I kid you not, my very first cast in this same spot…..fish on! I continued fishing (hit a couple more areas) with the same bug for two more hours and had a stellar day. Had over a dozen to the net, LDR’d a few, with only one smaller rainbow. Everything but the one was in the 17-20 inch range and fought like crazy. This is the first one.
A0414B39-63A5-47D3-9DD8-D78709281BC3.jpeg
Pumpkin head for the win!

Islander

Life of the Party
That Tiger sure is healthy!
That one was a pig. When it first took the fly it was pretty deep. I set the hook and it just sat there. I thought I was snagged and started to head towards the spot until I saw it slowly move sideways. I had to dredge it up off the bottom and then when it got close to the surface it went bananas. First time I’ve ever seen a tiger come out of the water.