A Short Trip to the Beartooths & YNP

I headed out Sunday afternoon to check out a lake in YNP I have been wanting to fish. Trout Lake is about 10 miles south of the NE entrance and I was hoping it had seen little or no pressure for a while because of that entrance being closed after the flooding. It was reported to be a “short but steep hike” from the trailhead so I figured it might be doable with the Cruzer. I traveled up Chief Joseph hwy to the Beartooth area and chose a nice campsite at Crazy Creek. I was amazed at how few people were in the area and how many sites along the way up were vacant. I don’t know if it’s the economy, gas prices or the cold late winter weather, but I didn’t mind the lack of others. Crazy Creek Falls is just across the road from the campground and the water goes under the highway and right behind some of the spots. After setting up I took the short drive to the park entrance to check on getting my boat inspection for the following day. The lady there told me that the person that does it will be working the gate at 7am in the morning.
The next morning I was at the entrance at 7am sharp, got my sticker, drove to the trailhead and loaded up the Cruzer for the hike in. The reported “short and steep” was extremely accurate, my fitness watch calculated the total distance up the hill as 1/3 of a mile. As for the “steep“ part, I had to stop several times to catch my breath and avoid barfing up my gourmet breakfast of Rice Chex and BRCC Caramel Espresso Triple Shot. Finally at the top of the climb I found a beautiful little lake in a fabulous setting. I had the lake to myself for an hour or so before several hikers and a couple of shore fishermen made their way up the trail. My hopes of bigger fish were soon dashed as they were still spawning near the inlet area on the north side which is closed to fishing. However, I did bring the 3wt. and I was rewarded with an abundance of 10-13” cutties that were eager and willing. I fished until around noon and then headed back to the truck for some lunch. The walk down was much easier than the walk up!
Since I still had a lot of daylight left, I decided to go hit a lake in the Beartooths I had visited a couple years back that wasn’t to far from my camp. Lily Lake (I believe named for the lily pads all along most of the shoreline) is a fairly deep lake with easy access and holds cutties and some grayling. I have only caught one small greyling and was hoping to maybe find some bigger ones. Unfortunately I didn’t get any greyling but had fun with more feisty cutties. After a long enjoyable day, I fell asleep listening to the moving water running through the back of my campsite.
The next morning I took the short drive up to Beartooth Lake as this lake holds greyling also. No greyling and the fishing was very slow, only a few very small cutties before the wind starting blowing, so I headed back to camp, got something to eat and headed home. I will definitely hit Trout Lake again when those bigger fish are active again and continue my pursuit of some larger greyling.

8685B123-60E5-4A15-AB19-21BC6C35DC66.jpeg
My campsite at Crazy Creek.

AF110C04-73CA-415B-B94D-F2093D90685C.jpeg
Even the occasional rain shower made the drive beautiful.

FC602485-8605-44B5-84DA-A94C1ACCD41C.jpeg93F521E6-3F0F-4D3E-BE82-3B25E0A2BCA2.jpeg
Crazy Creek Falls

DF220587-E039-4F82-A0B8-986ABCE533F1.jpeg
Cresting the hill and seeing Trout Lake.

7ED32CC0-44C5-4C6E-86C0-4BFB722D39DF.jpeg
Not a bad place to spend the morning. Where the trees meet the water on the right side is the inlet. I never walked over to look but heard hikers saying, “wow, look at those big fish.”

0CC2EB9B-2FBF-4136-AB03-BEFF5D6EE99E.jpeg5300AB38-CDB6-4F7D-B0B4-7CD00F8D8995.jpeg50BAD57B-2E56-4395-92FF-7998775AAC6C.jpeg
Lots of Yellowstone Cutthroat.

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
You can keep this stuff to yourself, ya know....

Nice. I know how much Roper likes that Beartooth Highway. What a nice trip!

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Trout Lake, YNP is indeed a gem of a hike, even if you don’t fish. See any otters??

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Trout Lake had 20-30" rainbows in it the last time I fished there, violent jumpers. The cutthroat were 14-20" but fought more sluggishly. Tons of river otters feed at the spawning creek and are very approachable.

Peach

Stillwater Fanatic
That lake is on my bucket list - thanks for sharing. Sounds like a Autumn or Fall trip would be better to get a shot at the larger trout.

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Nice report. Too bad you had to talk about Trout Lake. It used to be a very special place but social media ruined it. Guess you didn't do it any harm, its long been done.

Islander

Life of the Party
That lake is on my bucket list - thanks for sharing. Sounds like an Autumn or Fall trip would be better to get a shot at the larger trout.
Yes, plan on hitting it again in the fall. Hopefully the rivers will be in better shape also. Still a lot of fast water with the winter and wet spring we had.

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
It's not like it's a zipperlip. It was written up extensively in a Yellowstone fishing guide I picked up in the 1980s. When exactly was it a more special place than it presently is?
You are correct but those fishing guides weren't open to the world of internet. Now that said I'll get on my soap box on this topic. What value did naming the lake provide in the very nice fishing report? The report was terrific and the photos were great. There was just no reason to name the lake IMO. None.

Islander

Life of the Party
Well, my reason for posting reports, as well as reading fishing reports from other people, is to inspire or be inspired to go try new places, fish waters that I have never tried or catch species of fish that I haven’t had the pleasure of catching and I hope others will possibly do that from reading my reports. I mostly fish C&R water (which Trout Lake is) so it’s not like folks are going to eliminate the resource by me saying where I go. As for being some secret place that nobody had discovered until social media came to be, we need to understand that Trout Lake is just a few miles south of the NE entrance to the Park. That entrance gets an average of 130,000 people per year. There is only one road coming in from that entrance and other than the Pebble Creek campground and a few picnic areas, you have to drive by the Trout Lake parking area and trailhead to get to anywhere else in the Park. The parking area and trailhead (including the giant sign with the map on it) are literally right next to the road. I guess I have never understood the big secrecy thing with places to fish, especially fly fishing. There’s just not that many people doing it, at least compared to all the other available activities these days. I don’t mind telling folks about beautiful places to fish, how to fish them, heck I’ll even give them the flies I’ve been successful with, if it helps promote the sport. That’s just IMO.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
You are correct but those fishing guides weren't open to the world of internet. Now that said I'll get on my soap box on this topic. What value did naming the lake provide in the very nice fishing report? The report was terrific and the photos were great. There was just no reason to name the lake IMO. None.
As one who keeps quiet about a lot of things fishing, I understand the sentiment. I suppose that all waters would be better off left unnamed. However, with waters that are decidedly not zipperlip, I don't think any measurable harm is done by mentioning the name. I often mention the Skagit, Stilly, Cowlitz, and certain lakes in posts without feeling like I'm inviting unwanted attention to them. And I avoid mentioning a lot of other places I fish. And naming Trout Lake pleasantly reminded me of the times I hiked and fished there over 30 years ago. So in that sense there was one reason.