Recent content by Emily27

1. E

Tribes fish and WDFW roll over again.

How is it different/more political to address my question than to say that everyone has had equal benefits? I'm just asking if everyone has had equal harm done to them, and if it matters if they haven't.
  2. E

I don't think so, from what I understand Environmental justice isn't imposing like stereotypical communist equality it's a framework to view how decisions are made and who those decisions effect. The first examples of environmental justice movements were criticizing the citing of waste and waste...
  3. E

Jumping back to one of you're earlier posts you mention that indigenous people have benefited from essentially colonization in the exact same way you have (ignoring that those benefits have likely gone much more to you than them due to a variety of systemic factors, look up systemic racism...
  4. E

The Elwha dams were built before indigenous people who lived on reservations or had tribal membership had the right to vote. The first one was built before indigenous people had the right to vote at all. They didn't ask for this.
  5. E

WTF? (Deschutes March Brown hatch)

I'd echo this, heard a report from someone who went over there a week ago and it sounded like it was pretty on and off spot by spot. Also a lot of smolts are out-migrating right now apparently, idk how big the fish you saw jumping were but I often see smolts jumping downstream.
  6. E

Another biology question, residualized/landlocked Pacific salmon spawning?

Apparently, early maturing/not out-migrating fish are a bigger problem among hatchery fish, so add that to the list of hatchery's effects on fish. https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/feature-story/tale-migrating-mini-jack
  7. E

Another biology question, residualized/landlocked Pacific salmon spawning?

Green Peter Reservoir in Oregon has a small population of landlocked chinook, I think there are a couple of articles with pictures if you look it up. Recently the Army Corp started putting a lot of adult salmon into it though to supplement that population and study fish passage through the dam...
  8. E

CA Seals and Sealions eating all of WA Springers?

I feel like they would just notice that they got to sit on their favorite rock more often and that there was less competition for fish.
  9. E

CA Seals and Sealions eating all of WA Springers?

Pre-Colonization Seals and Sea Lions did forage pretty far upriver in the Columbia right? I found this paper that says they were common all the way to Celilo Falls where they gathered in large concentrations. I would assume that the federal/state regulator's justification for not just doing...
  10. E

Snohomish/Skykomish get screwed

It was actually in the little red book, did you not see the part about killing all the salmon alongside the rats and the sparrows?
  11. E

2023 Garden Thread

the spots I'm looking at are mainly split between the North side of a shed and the South side of my house so probably full sun to part shade/full shade. I'm mainly looking at small patches to fill in so nothing huge or super brambly.
  12. E

What's in your vise?

Been working on spinning deer hair, nowhere near as precise as I think would be nice to be able to do but I'm okay with the big dots for a pattern like this. Also If anyone has any favorite tutorials for getting better at spinning hair, especially putting in more complex patterns I would love...
  13. IMG_20230410_203015425.jpg

IMG_20230410_203015425.jpg

14. E

2023 Garden Thread

I've been getting into planting more natives in my garden in the past couple of years and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of really aggressive native plants that thrive in the places that weeds typically do and will outcompete or stand their ground well against typical garden weeds? I'm...