Tribes fish and WDFW roll over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I don't think so, from what I understand Environmental justice isn't imposing like stereotypical communist equality it's a framework to view how decisions are made and who those decisions effect. The first examples of environmental justice movements were criticizing the citing of waste and waste processing plants in communities with larger black communities, and the environmental justice part was people were going hey there's an inequity here and we think that inequity occurs because of x and then advocating for changes, but environmental justice as a field doesn't advocate a specific solution.

I could be off base but that is my general understanding.
In before the lock

Emily27

Steelhead
Not going into the politics of that.
How is it different/more political to address my question than to say that everyone has had equal benefits? I'm just asking if everyone has had equal harm done to them, and if it matters if they haven't.

Last edited:

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
How is it different/more political to address my question than to say that everyone has had equal benefits? I'm just asking if everyone has had equal harm done to them, and if it matters if they haven't.
Sorry cannot go there. If you really want to talk about it DM me..

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
It's a ceremonial fishery. Best be careful or you and Rob will be sitting next to each other in cultural sensitivity reprogramming class.

Matt is instructing.

Like I have said, I have zero issue with tribal fishing, ceremonial or comercial.

My problem is the state rolling over to anything the tribes say, with zero conservation benefits, like the Stilly and now the Sky.

Last edited:

LBL

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Didn’t the old hatchery that was there during the time the dams were there get decommission a few years after the dams came down and the new hatchery was built?
That is how I remember things.
SF
Yeah you’re right. I’m not commenting on the pro or con just that it existed. I love that river. I’ve hiked it, boated it, fished it. Along with a few other folks we were the first to boat from the old upper dam site to the mouth. I watched the entire process of radical change from on the river during the dam removal and saw some of the first returning anadromous fish when the river was silt laden and had a mineral smell you could taste.
The return or non return of salmon/steelhead is more complex than I can comprehend, especially in light of the loss of runs on other OP rivers with pristine watersheds.
Look at this thread. I’m pretty sure we all want to see healthy runs but people are getting kinda nasty (no fingers pointing). I’m just hoping we can work with the entities that have control towards a better, even if not perfect, outcome.
My bigger point was that I don’t feel the tribes are the enemy and have been and still could be the most influential partner in rehabilitation.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
It is seldom a responsible use of taxpayer monies to pursue a legally untenable goal to appease the personal interests of a small group. Success is highly unlikely and the end result is most often further distrust and solidification of broken relationships.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I’m pretty sure the fee I would charge in order to put myself through that frustration is well beyond what anyone is willing to pay.

Profits are unpaid wages. Do it for justice. Do it for what's right. Do it cause it needs doing. Do it for your comrades.

Besides, the wolf lady was raking it in and she doesn't seem any more in touch or talented than yourself. The WDFW was more than happy to pay her an exorbitant fee.

Last edited:

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Like I have said, I have zero issue with tribal fishing, ceremonial or comercial.

My problem is the state rolling over to anything the tribes say, with zero conservation benefits, like the Stilly and now the Sky.

That makes two of us. I fully support tribal treaty rights to fish. I don't support a totally impotent WDFW that feigns leadership and co management. I don't support the abuse of the "ceremonial" fisheries concept unless they are actually that. If you're gonna do it just say you're gonna do it cause the WDFW isn't going to do anything about it anyway so let's be honest about it and say what it is. I also don't support labelling stuff sustainable when it's clearly not. That gripe goes well beyond the tribes and their fishing over failing runs and calling that product sustainable.

Matt Paluch

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Profits are unpaid wages. Do it for justice. Do it for what's right. Do it cause it needs doing. Do it for your comrades.

Besides, the wolf lady was raking it in and she doesn't seem any more in touch or talented than yourself. The WDFW was more than happy to pay her an exorbitant fee.
If it’s that important to you, you’re free to do it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.