CA Seals and Sealions eating all of WA Springers?

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
What a mess. It sounds like if they stay for each run, then after spring salmon, the shad, steelhead and fall run salmon. Doesn't sound like there is much reason to leave, and a lot of fish will be consumed. I'm just reading along. No good ideas really. Could any kind of tribal and/or permitted hunt maybe make it uncomfortable enough for them to not hang around? These wildlife issues just seem overwhelming, like everything else, any more.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
As fun as the relcoation idea sounds, they've relocated sea lions as far away as California and they still find their way back to the Columbia pretty quickly.

Exactly why culling won’t work either. Unless we cull to the point that led to the Marine Mammal Protection Act in the first place.

I love fish and fishing as much as anyone on this forum but the culling needed to actually make a long term impact is not something I would support. There needs to be a different solution.

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The sea lions in the Columbia are all males. We could cull to our hearts content without affecting the species future. It is a choice between species, and as was stated earlier, fish just aren't as cute as a brown eyed mammal.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
WDFW and ODFW have actually wanted to do something for a while. Thing is they literally can't.
I say they should do something terminal and take the legal action from the feds.. forgiveness rather than permission.... then do it again next year..

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Exactly why culling won’t work either. Unless we cull to the point that led to the Marine Mammal Protection Act in the first place.

I love fish and fishing as much as anyone on this forum but the culling needed to actually make a long term impact is not something I would support. There needs to be a different solution.
Wouldn't they notice their friends starting to disappear and decide it's not worth the risk to hang around?

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I'll say it.. salmon are more important than sea lions..killem all ( the ones tmin the Columbia)there are plenty of them, who it fake offends doesn't matter.

Reactions: JS

Matt Paluch

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
So I lobbied Congress to help pass the MMPA exemption that allows WDFW, ODFW, and several tribes to lethally remove sea lions. They are killing sea lions. Social media has exploded with a lot of rumors and outright false information about what is being done. The pinniped problem is real, and additional action may need to be taken, but I'd encourage everyone to keep a level head and not fall victim to the wildly exaggerated information that is being spread around.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
So I lobbied Congress to help pass the MMPA exemption that allows WDFW, ODFW, and several tribes to lethally remove sea lions. They are killing sea lions. Social media has exploded with a lot of rumors and outright false information about what is being done. The pinniped problem is real, and additional action may need to be taken, but I'd encourage everyone to keep a level head and not fall victim to the wildly exaggerated information that is being spread around.
well what fun is that Matt? 😁

Reactions: JS

Flymph

Steelhead
Does killing abundant but protected wildlife to help other, more vulnerable protected wildlife represent good, scientific, and ethical wildlife management, or does it represent an attempt to avoid taking action on more important, but politically difficult, causes of a species’ decline at the expense of the targeted animals?

Matt Paluch

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Does killing abundant but protected wildlife to help other, more vulnerable protected wildlife represent good, scientific, and ethical wildlife management, or does it represent an attempt to avoid taking action on more important, but politically difficult, causes of a species’ decline at the expense of the targeted animals?
In the case of the sea lions in the Columbia System, there is no population level threat to the species by killing them. Leaving them there does present population level threats to many ESL listed salmon populations. The underlying cause of the sea lions increasingly using the Columbia for feeding grounds is both concentration of prey due to the dams, and climate change shifting their range north. Closer to the equator, populations of sea lions are decreasing.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Getting rid of them is level headed.