CA Seals and Sealions eating all of WA Springers?

Many Sealions spotted today Kalama up to Madrow. 100 Seals in Cowlitz near Kelso, and seals all the way to barrier dam. Goodbye Springers. Is this a overrun by California? Does WDFD even have a clue how to manage this overpopulation (they are experts at harvest!)

Attachments

• 24698.jpeg
    24698.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 78
  • 24659.jpeg
    24659.jpeg
    365.6 KB · Views: 77

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Does WDFD even have a clue how to manage this overpopulation (they are experts at harvest!)
Unfortunately, it's up to the feds, and they seem to not be particularly fond of culling the sea lions much.

Unfortunately, it's up to the feds, and they seem to not be particularly fond of culling the sea lions much.
Guess the Feds and WDFW will just let them eat all the fish so they can starve. I've just never seen this many and in the tributaries.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
What WDFW and ODFW "could" do is mention that they won't be enforcing against miscreants who perform a little vigilante culling of seals and sea lions. There aren't enough federal agency LE to even come close to covering the area. Not suggesting anything here, just thinking slightly out side the box.

What WDFW and ODFW "could" do is mention that they won't be enforcing against miscreants who perform a little vigilante culling of seals and sea lions. There aren't enough federal agency LE to even come close to covering the area. Not suggesting anything here, just thinking slightly out side the box.
These critters are upriver with no commercial netting, which the tribes usually do a good job at least shooting fireworks at them. WDFW still enforces trapping moles, so highly doubt they would turn blind eye to a seal. I just don't ever recall such a mass of seals and sealions upriver. Guess they are starving already.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
These critters are upriver with no commercial netting, which the tribes usually do a good job at least shooting fireworks at them. WDFW still enforces trapping moles, so highly doubt they would turn blind eye to a seal. I just don't ever recall such a mass of seals and sealions upriver. Guess they are starving already.
Part of the huge influx of them this year was due to the smelt runs. That brought in a LOT of sea lions.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
We've even got one in Hood River. Although to be fair we usually get one when the salmon roll in.

I thought there was a culling plan, or did that end already?

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
Part of the huge influx of them this year was due to the smelt runs. That brought in a LOT of sea lions.

Hey buddy I don’t take kindly to you calling me a sea lion. ;)

Emily27

Steelhead
Pre-Colonization Seals and Sea Lions did forage pretty far upriver in the Columbia right? I found this paper that says they were common all the way to Celilo Falls where they gathered in large concentrations. I would assume that the federal/state regulator's justification for not just doing lethal removal is that this isn't a new behavior spurred by the dam placement they are just resuming what they were doing before. Is there any possibility that the seals carrying capacity will be limited by something other than food like competition for space, disease, etc. and the population at Bonneville will max out? Like I'm imagining if managers could just go okay Bonneville dam/lower Columbia River as a whole supports around x number of seals which take around x number of fish, then factor that into broader calculations for allowable take, just like every other natural factor that affects salmon populations and is factored into fisheries forecasts. That seems a lot less silly than just killing/removing them when there are always going to be more to replace the ones we take away. Especially since this doesn't seem like a very uncommon behavior where we could just get rid of the bad apples and be good for a while, given that seals forage pretty far upriver on most coastal streams with a salmon presence.

Paul_

Life of the Party
From the above link-
“Until 2020, sea lions could only be killed if they were gathering at the Bonneville Dam or Willamette Falls. But now, the federal government has issued a permit to Oregon, Washington, Idaho and six regional tribes to kill the animals in certain zones across the Columbia River Basin — stretching from the I-205 bridge to east of Umatilla — as well as any tributary of the Columbia where endangered fish species spawn.”

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Pre-Colonization Seals and Sea Lions did forage pretty far upriver in the Columbia right? I found this paper that says they were common all the way to Celilo Falls where they gathered in large concentrations. I would assume that the federal/state regulator's justification for not just doing lethal removal is that this isn't a new behavior spurred by the dam placement they are just resuming what they were doing before. Is there any possibility that the seals carrying capacity will be limited by something other than food like competition for space, disease, etc. and the population at Bonneville will max out? Like I'm imagining if managers could just go okay Bonneville dam/lower Columbia River as a whole supports around x number of seals which take around x number of fish, then factor that into broader calculations for allowable take, just like every other natural factor that affects salmon populations and is factored into fisheries forecasts. That seems a lot less silly than just killing/removing them when there are always going to be more to replace the ones we take away. Especially since this doesn't seem like a very uncommon behavior where we could just get rid of the bad apples and be good for a while, given that seals forage pretty far upriver on most coastal streams with a salmon presence.
It's not that it's uncommon behavior as much as their population has exploded in the last decade or so.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Isn't there still like a $500,000 reward out for information leading to the arrest of the person who did exactly that about 8 years ago near the Bonneville dam?

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The problem is "cute face" syndrome (I think sea lions are ugly, but harbor seals are cute). Your average person would gladly chose a couple hundred dead wild springers & steelhead over a dead sea lion. The couple in the Clackamas right now are probably chomping wild steelhead until the springers get here.

It's tough to argue what's "natural" in the Columbia basin with all the alterations these days. Sure, there used to be a mess of sea lions all the way up to Celilo falls, but you also have to acknowledge there also used to be ten million salmon and steelhead swimming around too. Plenty to go around at the time. They can come back after we take a few dams out.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
We've even got one in Hood River. Although to be fair we usually get one when the salmon roll in.

Wait, what? Do they hitch a ride through the lock? It'd be something else to see one in the window at the fish ladder.

These critters are upriver with no commercial netting, .....
ok, so hear me out. We have netters we want to retire from netting salmon, steelhead, and sturgeon. They could use those nets to trap sea lions and drag their asses back to the ocean. Or turn them loose on the terns on Sand Island. It's a win/win/win.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Wait, what? Do they hitch a ride through the lock? It'd be something else to see one in the window at the fish ladder.

ok, so hear me out. We have netters we want to retire from netting salmon, steelhead, and sturgeon. They could use those nets to trap sea lions and drag their asses back to the ocean. Or turn them loose on the terns on Sand Island. It's a win/win/win.
As fun as the relcoation idea sounds, they've relocated sea lions as far away as California and they still find their way back to the Columbia pretty quickly.