CA Seals and Sealions eating all of WA Springers?

JACKspASS

Life of the Party
Jeez Rob, you've obviously never looked into those big brown puppy eyes before, some even have names!!

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Jeez Rob, you've obviously never looked into those big brown puppy eyes before, some even have names!!

That's an emotional response and therefo level-headed. headed..
Environmentalism and species preservation hell yeah
Animal rights hell naw.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I feel like they would just notice that they got to sit on their favorite rock more often and that there was less competition for fish.

I don't think you give them enough credit. They notice much. They notice the truck the rubber bullet guy drives and move to the other side of the channel. They are really quite perceptive creatures. I would think Ted Nugent hosted hunts aboard an orca whale wrapped in Ted White a blue flag motif power boat blasting cat scratch fever would be a deterrent with hanging out in certain areas but like I say they aren't stupid. They would likely avoid the threat and simply work around it.

That said populations have exploded in the last decade plus (400%+ worldwide according to an old article I read) to the point where the boom bust predator prey relationship is taking effect. Sardine harvest off California coupled with high populations is leading to pups not surviving or thriving as mothers aren't able to feed effectively to maintain nutrition. Yet they keep plugging along.

This is why vital organizations like the Sea Lion Defence Brigade on Facebook are so awesome. They are really filtering the science and following their hearts. Their amazing work and insights are really astounding. They've even stepped into the political arena and weighed in on a myriad of issues including healthcare. I look no further than this group when making complex wildlife decisions as pertaining to possible policy.

JayB

Steelhead
I recall hearing someone who sounded like they knew what they were talking about declare that sea-lions are now more abundant than they were when Lewis and Clark landed, because of the extent of native hunting. Could be complete BS, but sounded vaguely plausible. Would be interested to hear from anyone who has seen credible-seeming population estimates going back that far.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
"California Sea" lions in the Columbia River make as much sense as Canadian Gray Wolves in the United States. Kill them all!

Reactions: JS

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
California Sea Lions have always been present in the Columbia River. Also, Gray Wolves have always lived in the United States.
yes they have both need to have their populations regulated so that more important species , Yes i said it, meant it and would argue it as a matter of fact, can survive.. condemn California sea lions in the Columbia to save salmon? Yell yes it's common sense, is it a solution long term? nope everything we do as humans is only buying time for salmon until ocean conditions improve.. if ocean conditions never improve it does not matter what we do for salmon all our efforts are a complete waste of time.

we need to figure out how to get our salmon back from the ocean, until then kill the sea lions.

Flymph

Steelhead
nope everything we do as humans is only buying time for salmon until ocean conditions improve.. if ocean conditions never improve it does not matter what we do for salmon all our efforts are a complete waste of time.

until then kill the sea lions.

Logic!

Matt Paluch

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
yes they have both need to have their populations regulated so that more important species , Yes i said it, meant it and would argue it as a matter of fact, can survive.. condemn California sea lions in the Columbia to save salmon? Yell yes it's common sense, is it a solution long term? nope everything we do as humans is only buying time for salmon until ocean conditions improve.. if ocean conditions never improve it does not matter what we do for salmon all our efforts are a complete waste of time.

we need to figure out how to get our salmon back from the ocean, until then kill the sea lions.
As previously stated, the states and tribes are killing hundreds of sea lions. I even shared a document that goes into great detail about the problem and the actions being taken. You don't need to continue making the same statement - your opinion has been heard.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
As previously stated, the states and tribes are killing hundreds of sea lions. I even shared a document that goes into great detail about the problem and the actions being taken. You don't need to continue making the same statement - your opinion has been heheard
Fair enough, but it wasn't an opinion.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
That is exactly what you did

"a person of rigid opinions"
An opinion that is true is not an opinion, it's a fact.
An opinion that is wrong is not an opinion it's a fallacy.
A person is not entitled to an opinion that is wrong( in terms of public policy)
food is more valuable than warm fuzzy feelings.
Therefore salmon are more important that sea lions.

Therefore my statement is not an opinion.

I imagine everyone is sick of me about now so refer to the above for any further comments. I will do absolutely everything in my power ( which isn't much) to make this my last post on the issue..

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
'Always certain often wrong' ...this should be your sig line Rob.
🤣
JFC

Kill 'em all and let the Flying Spaghetti Monster sort 'em out.

The number one cause of dwindling salmon populations worldwide is human beings. Solve the human problem and save the salmon.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.
:)

RCF

Legend
An opinion that is true is not an opinion, it's a fact.
An opinion that is wrong is not an opinion it's a fallacy.
A person is not entitled to an opinion that is wrong( in terms of public policy)
food is more valuable than warm fuzzy feelings.
Therefore salmon are more important that sea lions

Therefore my statement is not an opinion.

I imagine everyone is sick of me about now so refer to the above for any further comments. I will do absolutely everything in my power ( which isn't much) to make this my last post on the issue..

A number of people eat sea lions. It is quite tasty and nutritious too from what I have been told. Therefore, they are food.

Time for Washington state to establish a hunting season on sea lions just like there is for deer and bear season?

Matt Paluch

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
A lot of people eat sea lions. It is quite tasty and nutritious too from what I have been told. Therefore, they are food.

Time for Washington state to establish a hunting season on sea lions just like there is for deer and bear season?
Seeing as the state has no legal way to do that, and (again) they are already killing hundreds of them, opening a hunting season is not going to happen.