WTF? (Deschutes March Brown hatch)

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I recently fished the Deschutes during a pretty big March Brown hatch with little success. Despite the number of naturals floating by, the fish weren't interested.

I tried again a few days later. The hatch was much lighter, but still no takers. I did see a few good-sized 'bows breaching like porpoises, but they weren't taking them off the surface. I didn't see any surface dimples though (other than rain). (Oddly, they were jumping in the direction of the flow, proving that fish don't always face upriver.)

At the time I suspected they were taking emergers. Does that seem right? What would you try in a similar situation? Do you have a favorite mayfly emerger pattern for the D?

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I support what GAT, clarkman and others have said before. If matching the dry is not cutting it, try a different phase of that hatch (emerger or nymph) or match the activity of the hatch, like swinging a appropriately colored and sized soft-hackle. If that all fails, try what you think might be their 2nd choice or just your favorite attractor.

I find that some fish just get overwhelmed or bored with certain hatches.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Was on a Montana creek once during a huge mayfly hatch. Tried lots of different mayfly dries, nothing. Tied on a Goddard caddis and caught lots of fish. Go figure.
SF

Emily27

Steelhead
In my experience location (especially winter/spring) is often more important than strength of hatch. If there’s no fish present, it doesn’t matter how dense the hatch is. I often find dry fly spots to be fairly consistent on the d. For example I have my winter BWO spot that if they’re hatching fish are rising. Where’s you could go 1/3 mile down river and even though bugs are hatching nothings rising.
I'd echo this, heard a report from someone who went over there a week ago and it sounded like it was pretty on and off spot by spot. Also a lot of smolts are out-migrating right now apparently, idk how big the fish you saw jumping were but I often see smolts jumping downstream.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
The lower in the surface film your fly sits, the better in my view, regardless the pattern.
YMMV
I think it depends on the hatch... mayflies except maybe PMDs lower is better.
But with stoneflies high and bushy is vastly more productive for me..

singlehandjay

Life of the Party
I had success if not swinging to have it as high on the water. Soon as it was starting to drown they ignored the fly. Everything that everyone is saying is fantastic advice, one thing to remember is things change daily out there so you more or less have to try it all to finally key in on what they want. Most importantly is keep trying. Fish smaller stretches with multiple rods to minimize the change up process.

Lue Taylor

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I was fishing a MB hatch on the Yak no takers on my pattern but tied on a Naturel color Rabbit leech pattern caught fish that day. Another time on the Yak at Golf course rd my friend and was having a morning break smoking a joint a March brown start coming off we was so stone we just watch these bug bugs coming off never got a line wet thru the whole hatch. :oops::giggle:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I was fishing a MB hatch on the Yak no takers on my pattern but tied on a Naturel color Rabbit leech pattern caught fish that day. Another time on the Yak at Golf course rd my friend and was having a morning break smoking a joint a March brown start coming off we was so stone we just watch these bug bugs coming off never got a line wet thru the whole hatch. :oops::giggle:
I could see this being nice during a hex hatch ;)

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

Not March Browns, but in the Yakima it the fall can be pretty fun when the mahogany duns start to hatch and the light cahills join the party. Always had better luck with the cahills. There seems to be less of them as well compared to the mahoganies during the hatch.
SF

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
This is one of my favorite flies of all time. Soft hackle wet flies are easy to tie, and materials can be easily substituted. I will tie these from 12-18 size hooks. I have found that the sparser the better, and I like maybe 2-3 turns of hackle. I will fish them on a dead drift, on the swing, or slowly strip them back to illicit a strike. If you want, you could add a little floatant, so the fly hangs low in the water. Good luck!
Keeping the last fly that worked on spooled Tenkara lines for storage is kinda standard for me as it helps keep the line neat and secure on the spool.
1682262343857.jpeg 1682262150995.jpeg
Most lengths of spooled lighter level lines for my different rods' lengths to use in late Spring-Fall (typically) wet (or occasional dry) fly presentations have one of these Pheasant Tail sakasa (reverse hackle) flies on them to both start, and end the day.
1682259467928.jpeg
Borrowing from an old movie...
🎶 Twitch - twitch here, twitch - twitch there - And a couple of tra - la - las
That's how we fish the day away, In the Merry Old Land of Oz!
🎶

They usually just work.

Last edited: