2023 Garden Thread

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Only planted about 28 lettuce plants...and 24 sweet peas.
But I did not raise them from seed, nor did I refer to them as ' my babies'... so that's working against me here for sure.
Having been around plants for over 4 decades on a daily basis, one thing is for sure...
Sometimes they die.

That's my story, I am sticking with it.
:ROFLMAO:

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Only planted about 28 lettuce plants...and 24 sweet peas.
But I did not raise them from seed, nor did I refer to them as ' my babies'... so that's working against me here for sure.
Having been around plants for over 4 decades on a daily basis, one thing is for sure...
Sometimes they die.

That's my story, I am sticking with it.
:ROFLMAO:
It’s the love that works 💕

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
I planted some marigold starts and Cinese celery a few days ago more carrot starts and peas. Pinching my giant tomatoes back often and babying some peppers starts another month before setting out assuming the night temps will be in the mild 40’s . Yesterday my mason bees hatched out. Hundreds flying around. It was in the low 60’s yesterday and sunny. Pinching back my bolting brussel sprouts and arugula and using in salads and edible garnish in about a month I will dig up my parsley root to clear a tomato bed

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I've been getting into planting more natives in my garden in the past couple of years and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of really aggressive native plants that thrive in the places that weeds typically do and will outcompete or stand their ground well against typical garden weeds? I'm looking for a way to cut down on the time I spend weeding all the little corner areas and spots where I haven't planted anything while also feeling good about what's growing in those spots.
Wet or dry? Full sun, part or shade? Large areas or small areas? (Thimbleberry are pretty large)

Emily27

Steelhead
Wet or dry? Full sun, part or shade? Large areas or small areas? (Thimbleberry are pretty large)
the spots I'm looking at are mainly split between the North side of a shed and the South side of my house so probably full sun to part shade/full shade. I'm mainly looking at small patches to fill in so nothing huge or super brambly.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
the spots I'm looking at are mainly split between the North side of a shed and the South side of my house so probably full sun to part shade/full shade. I'm mainly looking at small patches to fill in so nothing huge or super brambly.
Some other ideas would be salal, kinnickinnick, evergreen huckleberry, the aforementioned ferns, Oregon grape, red-osier dogwood (might look for a dwarf cultivar) or red flowering currant.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Some other ideas would be salal, kinnickinnick, evergreen huckleberry, the aforementioned ferns, Oregon grape, red-osier dogwood (might look for a dwarf cultivar) or red flowering currant.
Actually the name kinnikinnik is spelled the same way front or backwards. For reals!! Common name for Arctostaphulos
I learned that in school
I believe this is called a factoid

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Actually the name kinnikinnik is spelled the same way front or backwards. For reals!! Common name for Arctostaphulos
I learned that in school
I believe this is called a factoid
I knew I was wrong, but wasn’t sure how, and so I figured I was close enough to make my point, and let it ride. Glad we got it straightened out!
Pretty sure it’s Arctostaphylos btw 🤓

Or we could just call it bearberry.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I’m not trying to be snooty
Just thought it was interesting

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
In part shade as an understory beneath the aforementioned might I suggest sweet woodruff and white bleeding heart greigi tulips

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
IMG_0731.jpeg
Got the pepper and tomato seedlings repotted tonight. I have a bunch of extra seedlings available (not pictured) for anyone that is interested. Only kicker is they need to be picked up tomorrow night as I leave for out of town on Wednesday. Located in Tacoma. There are some unique varieties in the mix.

Zak

Legend
I've been getting into planting more natives in my garden in the past couple of years and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of really aggressive native plants that thrive in the places that weeds typically do and will outcompete or stand their ground well against typical garden weeds? I'm looking for a way to cut down on the time I spend weeding all the little corner areas and spots where I haven't planted anything while also feeling good about what's growing in those spots.
Here on the wetside native low alpine strawberries make a nice ground cover.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Picked some purple broc sprouts for a quiche…01867886-E97D-4DB4-8289-189E14078DDA.jpegB480749A-C1EB-450C-A32A-011CB441A2B2.jpeg8A1C5FFE-C487-4D55-8B93-C84C0F17A773.jpeg

Making a quiche right now with sprouting broccoli, shallots, garlic chive, kale, a few minced garlic cloves all from garden…cream and 6 large eggs, dried thyme. In a short crust. Chilling the dough and sauteed ingredients for 45 minutes. Then roll out dough for pan. Maybe a short blind bake then fill and bake6E3184C0-9BBA-47AD-A259-F067AC2C1076.jpeg

Last edited: