2023 Garden Thread

Mark Yoshida

Deep Line & Vertical
Forum Supporter
Has anyone grown sweet potato slips? When did you start them in the year for planting in Seattle? I read and watched some Youtube videos but unsure how long the slips take before planting in the ground. I know they are tropical and like the heat. I have not seen slips sold either and are supposed to be expensive. Sounds easy to at least try growing some. I heard they need sunlight and warm soil so did you grow your slips inside?
Thanks for any info.
Mark

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Has anyone grown sweet potato slips? When did you start them in the year for planting in Seattle? I read and watched some Youtube videos but unsure how long the slips take before planting in the ground. I know they are tropical and like the heat. I have not seen slips sold either and are supposed to be expensive. Sounds easy to at least try growing some. I heard they need sunlight and warm soil so did you grow your slips inside?
Thanks for any info.
Mark
Never grown them, I always thought they were a more southern, warmer weather crop. If you want sweet potato flavor and texture try the north Georgia candy roaster squash. I grew them this year and they taste very similar.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Finally got around to processing the chicory, ready to chop, dry and roast.
1000003666.jpg
I put the biggest roots in a container to sprout.
1000003667.jpg
1000003668.jpg
Into a box with a lid for total darkness blanching of the sprouts. I'm hoping this seed I got labeled 'coffee chicory' is the same as 'witloof chicory' that they use for belgian endive. They have the same scientific name. If not then I'll order witloof chicory for a dual purpose crop. Hopefully I'll end up with something like this.
1000003669.jpg

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
Finally got around to processing the chicory, ready to chop, dry and roast.
View attachment 94715
I put the biggest roots in a container to sprout.
View attachment 94716
View attachment 94717
Into a box with a lid for total darkness blanching of the sprouts. I'm hoping this seed I got labeled 'coffee chicory' is the same as 'witloof chicory' that they use for belgian endive. They have the same scientific name. If not then I'll order witloof chicory for a dual purpose crop. Hopefully I'll end up with something like this.
View attachment 94718
Looking forward to seeing your results. I’m not huge on Belgian endive but I appreciate the technique. Cool experiment for sure 👍

Am in the market for a new lawn mower and am considering an electric. Any recommendations that are useful would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Zak

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Am in the market for a new lawn mower and am considering an electric. Any recommendations that are useful would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I’m happy with my little electric Ryobi no-bag push mower. It’s smaller than the 1/2 hp belchfire I had, so maybe it takes a minute or two longer to do my small yard. But—no gas and oil to check and top off!
It’s a small yard though. Half hour mow at most.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
I used a black and decker corded electric had it for a decade and left it to a friend as we have no grass to grow here after I moved. I chose corded with a 100’ 12 guage extension cord.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
I have a Kobalt - abuse it horribly, it works great.