2023 Garden Thread

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
The garden is waning but Sept-October is winter garden time…favas are 2’ tall…garlic replanted in late August is up, took out 16 tomatoes and cages a few weeks ago-4 left…the Russian ones(its the latitude of origin) lettuce , ChioggaIMG_4024.jpeg beets. Dutch corn salad , biennial purple sprouting broc has germinated, Dutch corn salad seeded in amended and cleared IMG_4027.jpegIMG_4025.jpegtomato beds, mizuna, and chinese mustard picking, and those peppers. - IMG_4026.jpegcorbaci,hot fish, Corno di Toro, lipstick IMG_4027.jpegsweet, holy moley, … bids eye plant ( has been potted and moved into the green house. With heater on lowest setting—-getting ready to dig the RedBeard buncing onions…but not sure what to do with them…not a freezing thing…I have a bunch of plants

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Skip, you truly amaze me with the amount of gardening you do in your small yard! Not to mention some of the things you grow that I have no idea what they are.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Skip, you truly amaze me with the amount of gardening you do in your small yard! Not to mention some of the things you grow that I have no idea what they are.
I absorbed years of mother Earth News since 1970’s when it was a post hippy recycle- simple problem solving magazine. With few ads. I created a small library of organic gardening books and started with the simple premise that gardening is work and endlessly rewarding to the soul.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
I invent recipes intuitively with good results. Once in awhile that does not happen. I had a bunch of Japanese cucumbers and i had eaten them fresh all summer and gifted alot to 5-6 neighbors as well as tomatoes and trombocini . So I canned about 30 quarts of pickles and mixtures. All great, some curried. I decided to can something different using cukes and found a British cucumber relish. I followed the recipe to a tee.IMG_4032.jpeg
Hard to describe the favor after a week of curing after canning. It tasted sort of like marmite minus the saltiness. Ihave tried Marmite and hate that stuff. Tried a tsp and the flavor on my palette just wouldn’t go away… tongue scraping and mouth wash rinsing helped but it lingered for hours.

Last edited: