2023 Garden Thread

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
I will post any results. These fluffy tailed rats might not like pb…or I do know they have lookouts and talk amongst themselves about what I am planting. Sneaky bastiches.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Picked almost all the remaining tomatoes that are ripe or are likely to ripen. Lotta' green ones went with the vines to the compost heap. The Early Girl in my cold frame house might ripen a couple more, so I left them in hopes they do. Basically nothing left except a bunch of carrots in the ground. I guess I'll just leave them be and pull 'em as we can eat them as long as they stay OK.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Picked almost all the remaining tomatoes that are ripe or are likely to ripen. Lotta' green ones went with the vines to the compost heap. The Early Girl in my cold frame house might ripen a couple more, so I left them in hopes they do. Basically nothing left except a bunch of carrots in the ground. I guess I'll just leave them be and pull 'em as we can eat them as long as they stay OK.
Space out tomatoes on trays intersperse with ripe apples and or bananas. The ethylene gas from ripe and ripening fruit becomes a tomato ripening lab of a sort

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I still had a shload of peppers of varying varieties a few days ago so got real weird and made super spicy peanut brittle. Considering Trinidad Scorpion and habaneros make up the majority of the peppers, they pack some serious heat.

1000003906.jpg

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My gardening season ended with the first frost on, IIRC, October 25. I took a spading fork to the entire long and narrow garden, then added supplements and hit it with my rototiller to reduce the clods. The soil is loosened down to 12", far better than the cheapo tiller I got for free. The garden bed looks great, and is ready for its long winter nap. The other part of my garden has already been planted with 151 cloves of garlic, now up to 6", and 32 more in a small patch in a particularly sunny spot.

I'm still thinking about what to plant next year, but certainly
1 scarlet runner beans (I saved most of the root sections, because I read you can get a head start on next year by planting these), and
2 another bean of some sort, not sure what
3 potatoes,
4 one summer squash plant,
5 one zucchini,
6 yellow pear tomatoes (my wife's favorite),
7 a Black Tula (I think) which yielded smaller but super sweet and tasty tomatoes)

Reactions: Zak

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I was looking up some stuff on apple varieties I like to eat and happened to stumbled across this.
Some interesting name descriptions for the apples. The old standby red delicious doesn’t get much love these days.
SF

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
I was looking up some stuff on apple varieties I like to eat and happened to stumbled across this.
Some interesting name descriptions for the apples. The old standby red delicious doesn’t get much love these days.
SF

The red delicious is only one of those things ...

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
SF

I will never see opal apples the same
20231118_183105.jpg

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Biennial broc is slowly growing as is the beets and lettuce. Corn salad doing fine . Aboout 150 garlic cloves up and happy. Two varieties Duganski and elephant garlic. The most cold resistant starts will go in Tues. hollow crown parsnips are one of the best cold soil candidates I grow. Broad winsor favas were planted months ago in Sept and are 30” tall… oca has another month or so before digging.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
My gardening season ended with the first frost on, IIRC, October 25. I took a spading fork to the entire long and narrow garden, then added supplements and hit it with my rototiller to reduce the clods. The soil is loosened down to 12", far better than the cheapo tiller I got for free. The garden bed looks great, and is ready for its long winter nap. The other part of my garden has already been planted with 151 cloves of garlic, now up to 6", and 32 more in a small patch in a particularly sunny spot.

I'm still thinking about what to plant next year, but certainly
1 scarlet runner beans (I saved most of the root sections, because I read you can get a head start on next year by planting these), and
2 another bean of some sort, not sure what
3 potatoes,
4 one summer squash plant,
5 one zucchini,
6 yellow pear tomatoes (my wife's favorite),
7 a Black Tula (I think) which yielded smaller but super sweet and tasty tomatoes)
Try trombocini rampicante (Italian climbing trombone squash)
And merchant of Venice (yellow romano pole bean) Zebrune shallots from seed

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Here's a question for you, Skip: I've also got quite a few heads of garlic planted as of the beginning of October, you may have seen. I planted 161 cloves of They should be ready by late June or early July. What's a good hot-weather crop to replant that area then? Keep in mind, winter hits October 20 and my home is in Zone 6A, so pretty darn cold - more or less frozen - all winter, so it'd have to be something with a less than 65 day growing season, and would have to do most of its growing early.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Here's a question for you, Skip: I've also got quite a few heads of garlic planted as of the beginning of October, you may have seen. I planted 161 cloves of They should be ready by late June or early July. What's a good hot-weather crop to replant that area then? Keep in mind, winter hits October 20 and my home is in Zone 6A, so pretty darn cold - more or less frozen - all winter, so it'd have to be something with a less than 65 day growing season, and would have to do most of its growing early.
Zebrune shallots , chiogga beets, biennial purple sprouting broc or broad winsor fava beans . Both are hardy to about 15 degrees. I have more ideas and will collect my thoughts and post later.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
You have probably looked this up already…it is a generic selection based on short season planting in July in 6a. You can extend by starting a few weeks before you expect to dig your garlic. Please consider a cpvc pipe and clip with remay fabric to extend season and protect young plants.IMG_4148.png
Lots of choices through Amazon. I reuse every fall here. No frost here until the end of this month. 40 years ago it was October 10th ish…5-6 week shift. I saw the newly published zone charts and we are now considered zone 9aIMG_4148.png

Last edited:

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Cloches

I hanng a piece of cedar fence board with u bolts through it and an old ceramic screw in light build fixture in the top of the covered cloche to take the edge off the cold… a 75 watt incandescent generates the heat trapped partially by the cover that does breath