What have you done for your boat lately?

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
This isn’t really for my boat, but it is for use on my boat. I needed a whomp ‘em stick. Hopefully Jake doesn’t see this. His would be made from 7 types of wood with a polished Olympia oyster shell inlay. And the little hangy loop would be made from nettle cordage. Mine is made from hardware store stuff that was in my garage—a dowel, and some old quick dry polyurethane. Hey though, 3 coats! 👏
I used sanding discs on my cordless drill for the handle, because that’s what I have!

60533261-8BB0-46FA-8089-D70DDD018B18.jpeg
0C0F9058-C73E-4392-9848-A907CBE4A5D8.jpeg

Zak

Legend
This isn’t really for my boat, but it is for use on my boat. I needed a whomp ‘em stick. Hopefully Jake doesn’t see this. His would be made from 7 types of wood with a polished Olympia oyster shell inlay. And the little hangy loop would be made from nettle cordage. Mine is made from hardware store stuff that was in my garage—a dowel, and some old quick dry polyurethane. Hey though, 3 coats! 👏
I used sanding discs on my cordless drill for the handle, because that’s what I have!

View attachment 77961
View attachment 77962
Nice priest!

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter

View attachment 77961
View attachment 77962
]Our priest is a mini souvenir baseball bat. Reno Aces. Wood souvenir bats are perfect. I like yours too. Looks like it might have a little more swing weight/thump

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter

View attachment 77961
View attachment 77962
Nicely done!

Last edited:

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I used to use a piece of 2x2 and then I found a chunk of wooden closet rod the other day. When I tossed the round one in the boat I immediately discovered a problem. It rolls around. Gonna stick with the square one.

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Nice priest!
I was salmon fishing off Newport once with a family friend. A dad and his young sons. A coho comes in and the net goes down on the deck...Dad moves in to remove the hooks. His 5 yr old boy, wearing a Mickey Mouse pfd, goes to get the fish bonker and takes a whack at the coho. He missed on the first try but on his backcast got dad right between the eyes. Ouch!

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I put the gas tank in the bow since it's weight that has to be in the boat already
Yeah, on test runs I had to put the tank in the middle footwell to get it the boat to run right. But for a more permanent solution, I don't see putting the tank in the bow working for me. With the V up there, it's not going to fit right, and then it would also take up valuable space needed for my container of sh*t and the cooler. And then I'd also have to deal with a gas line running all through the boat.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
View attachment 78763

I strapped a bucket of rocks into the bow of my little boat. It worked great to balance the boat and get it up on step oh so nicely with me running solo.
That’s a great solution. I’ve been bringing an empty 5gal w/lid and fill it at the water’s edge, but haven’t had a good way to secure it until I saw this.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Those are airplane props? Sure seems to work better, but I also wonder about weeds. And can you troll slowly?
Ok...these are marine props, not the plane props. You gotta search for them but they are there.
These are not weedless...but I have oars and fins.
Using the PWM I expect to be able to troll at any speed I choose.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I finally added side boards to my trailer. I always line load my 14' Valco onto the trailer since it's fairly small and I didn't have side boards. Excited to practice driving it onto the trailer this fall if I can find a ramp that is not busy.
Hopefully I don't end up on Qualified Captain. :LOL:

Reactions: M_D

Chucker

Steelhead
Ok...these are marine props, not the plane props. You gotta search for them but they are there.
These are not weedless...but I have oars and fins.
Using the PWM I expect to be able to troll at any speed I choose.

Have you looked at the toroidal props that people are 3d printing for Minn Kotas? They claim much higher efficiency plus no cavitation. The Sharrow toroidal prop seems to live up to most of the claims for big boats.