What have you done for your boat lately?

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Somewhat finished the net, but the hoop is a bit willowy. Might need to wrap it with fiberglass or make a new one with more ash and less cedar.

Now to string the net on it and test it to see what length is best.

IMG_3631.jpeg

Last edited:

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Lacrosse anyone?

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Had to do some digging around into my electrical on my boat this afternoon.

This morning after launching discovered I had no power to anything at the console. No lights, sonar, horn etc. The main and the auto bilge pump run directly off the battery so was able to fish no problem, but not having sonar bugged the hell out of me.

Dug into it when I got home. Main power leaves the battery then through a 20 Amp breaker/main power switch. Took the switch apart and with a little help from @ffb, was able to test the breaker was good. No other in line breakers or fuses until power gets split to all the various accessories. Hard to believe every single one of those blew a fuse.

Kept digging in the console and finally found where the main power came up from the stern and went into a giant bundle of smaller wires. Traced it maybe six inches and came to a plastic box thing where there was some sort of connection. Opened the box and found it was basically used to drop down in wire size. The heavy gage main power wire was bolted to a post, and a smaller gage wire was bolted to the same post and came out the other side of the plastic box. The nut that held the smaller wire on had worked loose and the wire was able to pivot around. Must have moved enough to kill all the power.

I'm no mechanic, and I'm lost with electrical stuff in general, so it was damn nice to be able to work through a problem and solve it without having to dump money at it!

Boats....can't live with em, can't live without em

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
Took some water over the transom the other day and realized my bilge pump doesn't work anymore. Ended up redoing the whole setup. New pump, wiring, and switch. The Tiderunner is back in action! The new switch is even crooked. Matches the boat perfectly.

IMG_20230805_211907.jpg
IMG_20230805_205111.jpg

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Had to do some digging around into my electrical on my boat this afternoon.

This morning after launching discovered I had no power to anything at the console. No lights, sonar, horn etc. The main and the auto bilge pump run directly off the battery so was able to fish no problem, but not having sonar bugged the hell out of me.

Dug into it when I got home. Main power leaves the battery then through a 20 Amp breaker/main power switch. Took the switch apart and with a little help from @ffb, was able to test the breaker was good. No other in line breakers or fuses until power gets split to all the various accessories. Hard to believe every single one of those blew a fuse.

Kept digging in the console and finally found where the main power came up from the stern and went into a giant bundle of smaller wires. Traced it maybe six inches and came to a plastic box thing where there was some sort of connection. Opened the box and found it was basically used to drop down in wire size. The heavy gage main power wire was bolted to a post, and a smaller gage wire was bolted to the same post and came out the other side of the plastic box. The nut that held the smaller wire on had worked loose and the wire was able to pivot around. Must have moved enough to kill all the power.

I'm no mechanic, and I'm lost with electrical stuff in general, so it was damn nice to be able to work through a problem and solve it without having to dump money at it!

Boats....can't live with em, can't live without em
Boat electrical is usually easy. Check fuses and breakers first. Then check connections whether they be screws, nuts, or plugs. You'll generally find your problem being one of those two things.

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
Well, about a week ago I mentioned to @Nick Clayton that after replacing my bilge pump, the only thing left on this hull that was on it when I bought it was my fish finder. A few days later I'm running back to the boat launch and I hit a tree limb. Luckily I missed it with the prop but it wiped out the transducer which is now sleeping with the fishes. A new transducer for this old model was still $100. I dug around on the FB Marketplace, CL, and Offerup and fortuitously came across a killer deal on this newer(used) model for $160, complete with color screen, side imaging, maps, and GPS. No way was I going to put a big fancy sonar on this old gal, but I'll be damned if this isn't a killer upgrade.

IMG_20230808_175306.jpg