What have you done for your boat lately?

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
20230824_130732.jpg

I put on these stickers. They were made by my stepson, Jeff who besides producing stickers just opened his new tattoo parlor, Narrows Tattoo on 6th Ave. in Tacoma...here's some shameful promotion links...

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Have you looked at the toroidal props that people are 3d printing for Minn Kotas? They claim much higher efficiency plus no cavitation. The Sharrow toroidal prop seems to live up to most of the claims for big boats.
My Google efforts aren't panning out for a 30# thrust Minn Kota and "toroidal". Link? (thanks).

BriGuy

Life of the Party
My Google efforts aren't panning out for a 30# thrust Minn Kota and "toroidal". Link? (thanks).

I think you're spelling it wrong. Search for " h e m o r r h o i d a l " instead. ;-)

Reactions: M_D

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin

I haven't seen any reports of someone actually USING one on their motor though.

EDIT: oh, I guess those aren't specific to 30lb motors. Apologies.

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
this thread got me thinking. I would like a prop that lets me troll around 1 mph with more throttle than just first click on my outboard. I have a 14’ Klamath with an 18 horse tohatsu and it flies. So a prop that makes the boat go slower on both ends of the throttle spectrum is fine by me. Whatcha know-is a prop like this a thing?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
this thread got me thinking. I would like a prop that lets me troll around 1 mph with more throttle than just first click on my outboard. I have a 14’ Klamath with an 18 horse tohatsu and it flies. So a prop that makes the boat go slower on both ends of the throttle spectrum is fine by me. Whatcha know-is a prop like this a thing?
Grind a regular prop way down?

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Have you tried a trolling bag?

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have tried bags but think I bought to big… it kinda pulses in the water and when it fully opens it’s like the brakes get slammed on. We have stumbled when standing. I think it is also because I ran it off the bow cleat because when towing from the stern it kept heading in toward the prop. As I type this I am thinking all of these sound like fixable issues and I should try the bags again! So thanks!!

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Learned I’ve got a problem that’s gonna take some doing to fix:

IMG_1396.jpeg
9/5 EDIT: ProblemS. For some reason the wood strips have pulled apart. As in, the individual wood strips were pulled away from themselves by the epoxy as you might peel string cheese or open a bag of chips.

Working theory is that the 105* weather in July plus sitting on top of the car in it messed with the epoxy (which doesn't like heat). Never had this happenor heard of this happening before.

IMG_1519.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1395.jpeg
    IMG_1395.jpeg
    480.6 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Damn that sucks, such a beautiful canoe!
Thanks. Not a massive issue, just time consuming and it’s looking like it’s going to take up the time and space I was hoping to use to restore a different boat.

Will have to wait until I get home and look at it in person to make the judgement, but It’ll probably just be a matter of sanding down to the glass, cutting out the bad glass, vacuuming everything in the shop to remove all the dust, new epoxy, several coats of new varnish. I’ll probably add the painter hole (tube) to the bow, while I'm at it. Call it ?? hours of work with painter pass through, and ?? weeks of total drying time. ?? months of Saturdays, if I don't go fishing.

9/5 EDIT: Have to figure out the problem first, and evaluate a few other potential spots in addition to now having two areas to fix.

Last edited:

RCF

Life of the Party
With your skills and expertise it is in great hands for sure. Keep fishing and take your time to do right which I am sure you will do.

Side note: truly enjoyed seeing your pictures during the build process...

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Sorry about the problems.

Just curious, what do you think caused the delamination?

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Tohatsu motors over 10 hp come with a higher pitch prop to obtain higher speeds at higher rpm...conversely their trolling specific motors come with four blade props with less pitch for more torque down low, giving up higher speed at higher rpm's for more bite down low, which usually requires more throttle than with a higher pitched prop...suggest a call to your nearest Tohatsu dealer, ask them for a prop change recommendation for your OB.