What's in your cast iron tonight?

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Thanks Zac. Did you get it? $120 is still a bit steep for me. If I recall correctly Wards CI was made by Wagner. Nice find!
I did not buy it. When I looked at the tag, I thought it said $20! Still not sure it says $120, but in any event I did not get it. The same store also had a "Mogolian Grill" CI piece, which had a raised hollow dome.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Tikka Masala for dinner tonight

1 (3).jpg

Onion, garlic, ginger root, garam masala and serrano chilis

2 (2).jpg
Chicken seasoned with cumin, coriander, cayenne, salt and marinated in Greek yogurt then roasted under the boriler, basmati rice simmering, and for garnish - raw onion salad.

3 (2).jpg

Slow simmering the sauce before the chicken is returned.

4.jpg

Dinner, garnished with the raw onion salad

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Tikka Masala for dinner tonight

View attachment 56387

Onion, garlic, ginger root, garam masala and serrano chilis

View attachment 56388
Chicken seasoned with cumin, coriander, cayenne, salt and marinated in Greek yogurt then roasted under the boriler, basmati rice simmering, and for garnish - raw onion salad.

View attachment 56389

Slow simmering the sauce before the chicken is returned.

View attachment 56390

Dinner, garnished with the raw onion salad
My favorite British dish! Well done, it looks very good.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
My favorite British dish! Well done, it looks very good.
I thought "British"? I first ate tikka masala at friend's house in Suquamish, Bomi came from Bombay (he still calls that city "Bombay"). I didn't realize that Indian cooks in Great Britain are given credit for originating this British "Indian" dish. Live and learn, thanks (it was very tasty).

Bagman

Steelhead
I thought "British"? I first ate tikka masala at friend's house in Suquamish, Bomi came from Bombay (he still calls that city "Bombay"). I didn't realize that Indian cooks in Great Britain are given credit for originating this British "Indian" dish. Live and learn, thanks (it was very tasty).
You have to remember the Uk at one time called India part of the British Colonies, when the military did their time in India and return to Britain they missed the Indian food, I have some where a recipe for mutton curry from the NCO mess in Britain. I only made it one time because it took me for ever to find the spices and then make the curry which had to be toasted and grown before using. It was just okay

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
I know what I'm about to share doesn't compare to anything posted so far but here goes.....

Another retirement goal was to learn how to use a dutch oven camp stove rather than install a small oven in my travel trailer. Got one for Christmas and yesterday was the first time I've ever cooked in one.

Move over Jerry D...Top Chef comin' thru :cool:

IMG_5742[1].JPG

IMG_5743[1].jpgIMG_5745.JPG
IMG_5746.JPG

A one pot spaghetti. It was a little pasty but not too bad.

There are left overs if anyone is interested (y)

M_D

Forum Supporter
I take it there's some sort of reaction between the two? I didn't really notice it yesterday but maybe it was hidden behind the overcooked noodles.

Thanks for the headzup, though.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I know what I'm about to share doesn't compare to anything posted so far but here goes.....

Another retirement goal was to learn how to use a dutch oven camp stove rather than install a small oven in my travel trailer. Got one for Christmas and yesterday was the first time I've ever cooked in one.

Move over Jerry D...Top Chef comin' thru :cool:

View attachment 57059

View attachment 57063View attachment 57065
View attachment 57066

A one pot spaghetti. It was a little pasty but not too bad.

There are left overs if anyone is interested (y)
The book Roughing it Easy has some great Dutch oven recipes (and other camp cookery tips and recipes). I remember my parents cooking pineapple upside-down cake in one with coals from the fire on top.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Speaking of, anybody ever make dutch oven lasagna? I see some recipes online. Be a great group camp river food.

M_D

Forum Supporter
The tomato/cast iron thing is kinda interesting.

The cook book I got along with the camp oven....
IMG_5749.JPG

has a number of recipes that call for tomatoes or tomato sauce and I didn't see anything elsewhere in the book mentioning the acid drawing out the iron.

So I googled it.

Most sites were saying stay away while others were saying tomatoes weren't a big deal. Still others said tomatoes were okay as long as they weren't in the pot for more than 30 minutes. The Lodge website indicates small amounts of alkaline or acidic foods/ingredients are no big deal.....as long as your cookware is well seasoned....but then ya just might have to re-season the cookware if cooking with large amounts....whatever large amounts means.

There's no point to my rambling other that to say it's kinda confusing. Guess I'll proceed with cautions cuz it sure would suck to spend an hour or more preparing a meal only to have it taste like metal.

an on a different note @Yardsale there is a recipe for spinach & cheese lasagna in the book. Maybe I'll give it a try in a week or so. Chicken pot pie is next on the menu.(y)