What's in your cast iron tonight?

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Starting this thread up here. Always enjoyed it.

Spaghetti sauce hot.
Spaghetti sauce cold.
Spaghetti sauce simmered in the pot 3 days old!
If the spatula doesn't stand up by itself, it isn't done yet! :)

View attachment 1735
Curious as to your recipe if you dont mind sharing. Also does it stand up if you go meatless?
I have been working on my marinara game . It tastes good and is super minimalist but is runny. My recipe: muir glen canned tomatoes, onion, garlic, olive oil, oregano and… fish sauce. It really bolsters the taste.

mark wlker

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Curious as to your recipe if you dont mind sharing. Also does it stand up if you go meatless?
I have been working on my marinara game . It tastes good and is super minimalist but is runny. My recipe: muir glen canned tomatoes, onion, garlic, olive oil, oregano and… fish sauce. It really bolsters the taste.
In a nutshell..........
I always (only) use Cento "San Marzano" peeled tomatoes and Cento Tomato Paste from Italy. Wal Mart (seems to have the least expensive), Trader Joe's and assorted groceries. should have them.

If you see "robot or human', click on it and it will take you to the Cento product.

Fresh thyme, rosemary, parsley, sage tied in a bundle and simmered with the sauce. Freshly chopped onion/garlic to your taste. Whole bay leaves.
Gotta use anchovy paste for the salt and the cheapest red Dago wine you can find. I buy Carlo Rossi "Paisano" in the jug! $12.
The anchovy completely dissolves and if you didn't say anything, no one would ever know you used them. Seems some people freak when they hear the word anchovy.

Not sure about "meatless" holding up the spoon/spatula. If nothing died, it isn't a meal. :)
I take Johnsonville Mild Italian Sausage out of the casing, crumble and brown, drain the grease off. Brown the onion/garlic and de-glaze the pan with a little red wine.

If it is too thick, sometimes I'll add a jar of;

I don't salt, pepper it or, God forbid, add sugar!

Put it all together in an appropriate sized non conductive pot/lid. Bring to a boil and down to simmer for days. I cover with the lid alternately. Removing the lid from time to time will help cook the water out and keep it thick.
Keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn on the bottom of the pot.
Stir frequently and taste!

If you try it, let me know what you think. Most important; do it your way.

Russell

Steelhead
cooking up some chicken breasts tonight and noticed one of the cast iron accessories I have, and really like, was made in seattle. Part of the reason I picked a couple up on amazon was because it was made in the usa and had good ratings but here is something local to WA. Can't recommend enough.

1643858876351.png

1643858915541.png

1643858952638.png

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
In a nutshell..........
I always (only) use Cento "San Marzano" peeled tomatoes and Cento Tomato Paste from Italy. Wal Mart (seems to have the least expensive), Trader Joe's and assorted groceries. should have them.

If you see "robot or human', click on it and it will take you to the Cento product.

Fresh thyme, rosemary, parsley, sage tied in a bundle and simmered with the sauce. Freshly chopped onion/garlic to your taste. Whole bay leaves.
Gotta use anchovy paste for the salt and the cheapest red Dago wine you can find. I buy Carlo Rossi "Paisano" in the jug! $12.
The anchovy completely dissolves and if you didn't say anything, no one would ever know you used them. Seems some people freak when they hear the word anchovy.

Not sure about "meatless" holding up the spoon/spatula. If nothing died, it isn't a meal. :)
I take Johnsonville Mild Italian Sausage out of the casing, crumble and brown, drain the grease off. Brown the onion/garlic and de-glaze the pan with a little red wine.

Put it all together in an appropriate sized non conductive pot/lid. Bring to a boil and down to simmer for days. I cover with the lid alternately. Removing the lid from time to time will help cook the water out and keep it thick.

Ya gotta add sugar (Cuts the acidity from the tomatoes - but you recipe sounds great)!!

cheers

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Any leftovers? Man, that looks delicious.

I was out of potatoes and it took forever to cook down(would have liked more cooked off) so it didn't get done till after my bed time. Will stop off at the store and be eating it tonight and Saturday!

Of course I sampled some before going to bed ;)

Aufwuchs

Steelhead
In a nutshell..........

Not sure about "meatless" holding up the spoon/spatula. If nothing died, it is

All this stuff looks amazing, but those rib eyes whoa!

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I found a new to me Lodge skillet at Value Village, wire brushed the rust off and seasoned it, and made smashed potatoes last night.
PXL_20220220_023713976.jpg
While those were cooking in the oven, I grilled a tri tip roast, squash, mushrooms and onions.
PXL_20220220_015101328.jpg
Delicious, and good leftovers.
PXL_20220220_024158889.jpg