What's in your cast iron tonight?

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
The tomato/cast iron thing is kinda interesting.

The cook book I got along with the camp oven....
View attachment 57199

has a number of recipes that call for tomatoes or tomato sauce and I didn't see anything elsewhere in the book mentioning the acid drawing out the iron.

So I googled it.

Most sites were saying stay away while others were saying tomatoes weren't a big deal. Still others said tomatoes were okay as long as they weren't in the pot for more than 30 minutes. The Lodge website indicates small amounts of alkaline or acidic foods/ingredients are no big deal.....as long as your cookware is well seasoned....but then ya just might have to re-season the cookware if cooking with large amounts....whatever large amounts means.

There's no point to my rambling other that to say it's kinda confusing. Guess I'll proceed with cautions cuz it sure would suck to spend an hour or more preparing a meal only to have it taste like metal.

an on a different note @Yardsale there is a recipe for spinach & cheese lasagna in the book. Maybe I'll give it a try in a week or so. Chicken pot pie is next on the menu.(y)
Our daughter just gifted us a Lodge frying pan - I haven't spent anytime reading what "not to" put into the pan so reading folks comments on your spaghetti gives food for thought (pun?). I have an enameled 5 quart dutch oven I use for anything/everything and I do enjoy cooking in it. So far so good with the new Lodge. Buttermilk pancakes twice already.

Bagman

Steelhead
Our daughter just gifted us a Lodge frying pan - I haven't spent anytime reading what "not to" put into the pan so reading folks comments on your spaghetti gives food for thought (pun?). I have an enameled 5 quart dutch oven I use for anything/everything and I do enjoy cooking in it. So far so good with the new Lodge. Buttermilk pancakes twice already.
I’m not an expert on cast iron cook ware, but if I was worried about the tomato making my what ever I was cooking in my cast iron tasting like iron I would think adding a table spoon of baking soda would change the PH enough to solve the problem. What am I missing here?

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
Chicken Pot Pie was the ticket this week
42B45519-E9BC-4964-8D68-40BCDEFD500C.jpeg
Thought it was gonna be a fail. Couldn’t seem to get the filling hot enough…and being new at this I over reacted and doubled up on the briquet count. So then I thought it might burn but everything turned out fine…lucked out

maybe lasagna next week (y)

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
Chicken Pot Pie was the ticket this week
View attachment 57963
Thought it was gonna be a fail. Couldn’t seem to get the filling hot enough…and being new at this I over reacted and doubled up on the briquet count. So then I thought it might burn but everything turned out fine…lucked out

maybe lasagna next week (y)
What was the top crust made of? Looks like biscuit dough.

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
Whaddaya know….camp oven liners! Whodathunkit. I might have to pick up a couple of those. 👍

and yes the top crust was a biscuit dough

7E7B06A2-B520-488A-B8D5-30F5BCD11B8E.jpeg
According to the pot pie recipe, I should have formed the dough into a big disc to lay over the filling, however, that wasn’t gonna happen. I found it to be a big sticky mess so I just spooned globs into the filling and luckily it worked out.

Bagman

Steelhead
Can someone put a list together of the best brands of cast iron cook ware to pick up. My daughter ended up with my mother as well as my grandmothers cast iron cookware. Well I was telling wife that I was looking into a different piece of cast iron cookware. She being a garage sale queen said there some pieces of it at a garage sale that she was just checking out on line. So we got in the car and headed down. This is what I ended up with. I also picked up this little jewel, but I’m not sure if it is for the top of the stove or into the oven. It was in real bad shape and the wife was upset that I paid $50 for it but I told I would have it looking new by the next day. Any one familiar with this piece? My mom had one but it did not have a handle

Attachments

• A0CA927D-8A4C-4699-84A4-FFE92C42E270.jpeg
    A0CA927D-8A4C-4699-84A4-FFE92C42E270.jpeg
    750 KB · Views: 29
  • AF6B2825-0476-4636-BB92-41091A1A9306.jpeg
    AF6B2825-0476-4636-BB92-41091A1A9306.jpeg
    972.7 KB · Views: 29
  • FDA1D74D-0005-4B43-B089-9D2A0FA27927.jpeg
    FDA1D74D-0005-4B43-B089-9D2A0FA27927.jpeg
    647.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 300CC62A-A41C-4F34-B035-797395BBF96A.jpeg
    300CC62A-A41C-4F34-B035-797395BBF96A.jpeg
    671.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
Can someone put a list together of the best brands of cast iron cook ware to pick up. My daughter ended up with my mother as well as my grandmothers cast iron cookware. Well I was telling wife that I was looking into a different piece of cast iron cookware. She being a garage sale queen said there some pieces of it at a garage sale that she was just checking out on line. So we got in the car and headed down. This is what I ended up with.
I can only really speak on the older brands but Griswold and Wagner are the most common vintage brands you will come across and both are good. IMO the older the better and pretty much any old iron is good iron. Much better than the modern stuff, especially the overseas crap. If you’re lucky you might come across other old companies such as Sidney, Wapak, Erie (pre-Griswold) or Vollrath but those are much less common. Looks like you scored a nice set there.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
I have 2 Iwachu CI omelet pans and an Iwachu CI tempura pan that are very nice pieces. Don't disregard the japanese cast iron.

Reactions: Zak