What's in your cast iron tonight?

Bagman

Steelhead
I posted this on an earlier thread but did not get any feed back so I’m trying again. my mom had one of these but it was not at all like this one. I believe this one is desi to use on top of a stove not in the oven. Can anyone add to this or tell me how to use it. When I bought it my wife told me I would never get it clean. I wish I would have taken a pic before I started.
I love love love that look on the steak, I grid my own horseradish and cook a jalapeño in the pan with my steaks. These two look to die for.

Attachments

• 2ED3875A-003F-47ED-AA07-A39A82CB655C.jpeg
    2ED3875A-003F-47ED-AA07-A39A82CB655C.jpeg
    671.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 0CC978AB-2A89-45F4-853A-B8F38416BF34.jpeg
    0CC978AB-2A89-45F4-853A-B8F38416BF34.jpeg
    647.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 16015DD9-D89D-4623-9667-49F3BC2AE19D.jpeg
    16015DD9-D89D-4623-9667-49F3BC2AE19D.jpeg
    717.3 KB · Views: 21

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
I posted this on an earlier thread but did not get any feed back so I’m trying again. my mom had one of these but it was not at all like this one. I believe this one is desi to use on top of a stove not in the oven. Can anyone add to this or tell me how to use it. When I bought it my wife told me I would never get it clean. I wish I would have taken a pic before I started.

I love love love that look on the steak, I grid my own horseradish and cook a jalapeño in the pan with my steaks. These two look to die for.
I've got something similar. Definitely made to bake cornbread in the oven. When I do cornbread in cast iron, I pre heat the cast iron in the oven, and once the oven comes up to temp, I lube the cast iron with fat, such as ghee. Pour the batter in and bake. A word of caution, those little portions will bake off rather quickly.

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
Brute, if you brought some home you'll have to say how the parchment does with soupy stuff. The foil liners work pretty well and if one is careful when cleaning can be reused...but if those work well then screw the cleaning :cool:

This week my inner Laura Ingals channeled her cajun heritage. I went with a jambalaya recipe and zazzed it up with andouille sausage and smoked chicken. Overall it turned out fine but I should have put in more water cuz it turned out a little pastey.

IMG_E5800[1].JPG

and to go with it, I made some jalapeno bread in the ez bake oven

IMG_E5798[1].JPG
Gary Knowels would be so proud ;)

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
I cooked some axis deer from Maui the other day for my wife's birthday dinner.
Tenderloins on the iron pan, steak strips kebabs with pineapple and onions. It was excellent, tenderloin was cooked longer than I would like since my family doesn't like raw meat.
First time trying this, was not disappointed!

PXL_20230328_235909260.jpg

PXL_20230329_000228850.jpg

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I cooked some axis deer from Maui the other day for my wife's birthday dinner.
Tenderloins on the iron pan, steak strips kebabs with pineapple and onions. It was excellent, tenderloin was cooked longer than I would like since my family doesn't like raw meat.
First time trying this, was not disappointed!

View attachment 59850

View attachment 59851
I miss getting deer from my neighbor when he would go bow hunting on Molokai…

M_D

Forum Supporter
Thought I'd try some cheezy jalapeno biscuits to accompany a bowl of homemade chili.IMG_5845.JPG
The family was happy with how it turned out and it went well with a dollop of mango habanero jelly.

I'm starting to feel pretty comfortable with the camp oven...which means I will likely burn something in the near future :p

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Thought I'd try some cheezy jalapeno biscuits to accompany a bowl of homemade chili.View attachment 61791
The family was happy with how it turned out and it went well with a dollop of mango habanero jelly.

I'm starting to feel pretty comfortable with the camp oven...which means I will likely burn something in the near future :p
That's awesome! Cool trivet (is that what you call it when it's inside the pot?), too.

M_D

Forum Supporter
Yeah….I’m a shallow person and had to show off my fishy trivet 😏

I searched for quite a while before happening upon that one.

It worked out well…didn’t burn the biscuit bottom.