What's in your cast iron tonight?

Cliff

Steelhead
How do you get burnt on crusty stuff off of your cast iron, asking for a friend…
Strip it to bare metal and then re-season. To strip it spray the pan liberally with Easy Off oven cleaner (yellow top) and stick it in a plastic garbage sack for a week. Then rinse and start scraping at the crud. It might take a couple of attempts. Sure works for me. I just cleaned an old BSR pan this way - the same one used for the pheasant breasts in my post above.

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Instead of sugar, try a finely grated carrot. It adds a layer of sweetness but you won't taste the carrot.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Gambas al ajillo (last of the 2022 spot prawns, garlic, olive oil, cilantro, etc) and potato/cheese/onion pierogi.

That looks amazing, but more than anything I'm super impressed you managed to make spot prawns last that long! It's downright embarrassing how fast I mow through those things when I get some

• Haha
Reactions: VMP

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
AA82480D-9130-4502-9C24-3EB0DE659D23.jpeg

Feeling a little under the weather this week. Made some shmaltz and gribenes with a whole chicken skin. Shmaltz added to the matzo ball dough. Overwintered carrots and parsnips for the stock and soup. Gribenes snacked on while soup cooks. Feeling nourished, cozy and somewhat gluttonous from eating all that fried chicken skin.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
View attachment 49989

Feeling a little under the weather this week. Made some shmaltz and gribenes with a whole chicken skin. Shmaltz added to the matzo ball dough. Overwintered carrots and parsnips for the stock and soup. Gribenes snacked on while soup cooks. Feeling nourished, cozy and somewhat gluttonous from eating all that fried chicken skin.
I learned a new word!

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
It’s a fun way to utilize chicken skin for sure. I’d like to try it with a duck sometime.
That led me to a chopped liver recipe that intrigues me. I think my wife might divorce me if I made it while she’s around though. She hates liver.