What's in your cast iron tonight?

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
A man's gotta eat...
;)

At my age I don't know how many more chances I'm going to have. Gotta pare down the wine stash while I'm still around.
Tomorrow ain't guaranteed to anyone.

Saturday Covid date night after 2 years is still running...
:)

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
A man's gotta eat...
;)

At my age I don't know how many more chances I'm going to have. Gotta pare down the wine stash while I'm still around.
Tomorrow ain't guaranteed to anyone.

Saturday Covid date night after 2 years is still running...
:)
I feel exactly the same way…trying to optimize my remaining days on earth as best as possible, so I’ve decided to live vicariously through myself…

Mossback

Forum Supporter
Agreed
My better half and I decided back in early covid days that since we are stuck at home, know how to cook and enjoy our wines, there really wasn't any reason to go out, spend a bunch of coin only to be disappointed and not have leftovers anymore.
We do Saturday date night each week, throw down, put on favorite music and just hang out, talk, and dine on some good grub...often in sweats and slippers.
Soon the garden will be producing, so our own farm to table thing starts...
😀

Bagman

Steelhead
A lifetime ago I got this recipe from a guy on the old site. The wife and I have been together since we were 17 years old. We go married at 19 when I was in the Air Force. We learned how to make ends meet, and over time got to really enjoy the less costly of foods. This pon is served with navy beans over fried potatoes and onions. This is something we really look forward to, only problem is at 75 years old the weight of the cast iron is about all I can handle and way more then the wife can. Corn bread is just not the same if it’s not cooked in cast iron so I do the cooking.

Attachments

• C2DD6024-AEA2-4928-B62B-525273A75382.jpeg
    C2DD6024-AEA2-4928-B62B-525273A75382.jpeg
    218.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 1407B47F-7019-4A60-8CDA-106792A77739.jpeg
    1407B47F-7019-4A60-8CDA-106792A77739.jpeg
    345.2 KB · Views: 18

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Venison Keema - sorta like sloppy joe mix, only with basmati rice, and faaar superior (IMO).
Venison, caramelized onions, tomatoes, hot peppers, garlic, ginger, garam masala...let it do its thing for an hour or so, and this is the result. Slap it on a bit of rice, open a pilsner, and Bob's yer uncle.
View attachment 10091

Peace, y'all
Do you make your own gram masala? If so, a recipe would be super appreciated. If not, a recommended commercial version would be lovely.

Zak

Legend
Nothing yet, but I received this 14" Lodge wok yesterday. Last night I smoothed down the sand casted inner surface with a rust stripping wheel mounted on my cordless drill and reseasoned the wok with grapeseed oil. Tonight or tomorrow I'll break it in with some stir fry. I'm looking forward to eating lots more vegetables!
PXL_20220330_210816967.jpg

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Nothing yet, but I received this 14" Lodge wok yesterday. Last night I smoothed down the sand casted inner surface with a rust stripping wheel mounted on my cordless drill and reseasoned the wok with grapeseed oil. Tonight or tomorrow I'll break it in with some stir fry. I'm looking forward to eating lots more vegetables!
View attachment 10308
I love vegetables…they go so well with meat…

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
View attachment 10308

Bad ass Zak! I thought about getting one of these. Please let us know how it works after you put it to use.

Reactions: Zak

Russell

Steelhead
View attachment 10308
They work really well for deep frying also. Takes less oil to add depth to it. I use mine to deep fry halibut when we bring some back from the bay. 362BD195-0565-4364-BA48-BE6CFE9D5DE6.jpeg

Zak

Legend
I broke in the cast iron wok with a green bean and chicken stir fry, which I served over brown basmati rice. I used this recipe:

It was delicious, and will be better when the green beans from the market are fresh and local.

PXL_20220331_023755685.jpg

PXL_20220331_024138530.jpg

I learned a couple lessons. Most importantly, this heavy cast iron wok takes a long time to heat up. I had to deal with the chicken sticking a bit, and I'm sure that if I waited for the wok to get hotter the chicken have slid around better. Another lesson was that I should use vegetables in season, if possible. Finally, this recipe was not spicy at all. I'll be using more chilis or spicy oils in the future.

Even though the chicken stuck to the surface a bit at first, the wok deglazed well during cooking and cleaned up easily. I cleaned it right on the stove, so I didn't have to carry the hot wok to the sink.

Ready for next time!
PXL_20220330_210831068.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220331_023806570.jpg
    PXL_20220331_023806570.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 7

G_Smolt

Legend
Do you make your own gram masala? If so, a recipe would be super appreciated. If not, a recommended commercial version would be lovely.
Sorry for leavin' you hangin' on this, Gary!

I have (and use) a bunch of different garam masala mixtures, and rarely make my own. I have mixtures from Penzeys, World spice co, and Savory spice. My preferred garam masala is a World Spice blend called Kashmiri garam masala - it is roasted to a very (VERY) dark brown, pungent and redolent of cardamom and coriander, and makes a divine curry.

Mossback

Forum Supporter
World Spice is great, bought some very high quality dried chiles from them...their Pasilla de Oaxaca are some of the best I've found, we buy them by the pound and use them all the time.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Sorry for leavin' you hangin' on this, Gary!

I have (and use) a bunch of different garam masala mixtures, and rarely make my own. I have mixtures from Penzeys, World spice co, and Savory spice. My preferred garam masala is a World Spice blend called Kashmiri garam masala - it is roasted to a very (VERY) dark brown, pungent and redolent of cardamom and coriander, and makes a divine curry.
I've come to realize through this thread (and the one at the other site) that my knowledge of foods is pretty damn limited. I spent a few minutes looking at World Spice's site: WOW!

Three weeks ago, I was at a fishing lodge, the first night there the chef served chicken enchilada "bites" as one of her hors d'oeuvres; something she'd cooked at home, cut up and baked again in the lodge oven. They were delicious - I asked her about the seasonings, specifically what kind of chili she used. I guess she gets it from some small Mexican market in Torrance, CA ;-). I cooked chicken enchiladas last week while in So Cal. They were pretty good, my son in law loved the dish but mine paled compared to Margarita's.

Bagman

Steelhead
I've come to realize through this thread (and the one at the other site) that my knowledge of foods is pretty damn limited. I spent a few minutes looking at World Spice's site: WOW!

Three weeks ago, I was at a fishing lodge, the first night there the chef served chicken enchilada "bites" as one of her hors d'oeuvres; something she'd cooked at home, cut up and baked again in the lodge oven. They were delicious - I asked her about the seasonings, specifically what kind of chili she used. I guess she gets it from some small Mexican market in Torrance, CA ;-). I cooked chicken enchiladas last week while in So Cal. They were pretty good, my son in law loved the dish but mine paled compared to Margarita's.
The right chiles in a enchilada sauce can be a real game changer. as far as enchiladas go New Mexico grows some of the best for making enchilada sauces. Just go on line and look for where to buy New Mexico grown dried chilies pods in bulk. If she had given you the name of the dried chiles it would have been simple chilies change their name when they are dried. You may end up buying quit a few lbs before you find the right one. But there are a lot of things you can make with the once you don’t think are right for your enchilada sauce.