What's in your cast iron tonight?

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Tuna camp in Westport. I like how the dumpster glints in the sun as a nice focal point ;).

Screenshot_20231007_125253_Gallery.jpg

Camp breakfast. Nothing fancy. Smoked bratwurst hash with potatoes, onions, and peppers.

Screenshot_20231007_125154_Gallery.jpg

Dinner. Seared albacore. Super simple. Hit the steaks with some shoyu and into a hot pan. Medium rare.

Screenshot_20231007_125103_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231007_125128_Gallery.jpg

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Tuna camp in Westport. I like how the dumpster glints in the sun as a nice focal point ;).

View attachment 84991

Camp breakfast. Nothing fancy. Smoked bratwurst hash with potatoes, onions, and peppers.

View attachment 84987

Dinner. Seared albacore. Super simple. Hit the steaks with some shoyu and into a hot pan. Medium rare.

View attachment 84992
View attachment 84986
The tuna looks soooo good. We're going to settle for some Grass Creek oysters we picked up at Lytles yesterday.

Last edited:

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The tuna looks soooo good. We're going to settle for some Grass Creek oysters we picked up at Lyttles yesterday.
Oooh yeah, that sounds yummy too. @Matt B was able to choke some down. His idea of a squeeze of fresh lime didn't hurt.

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
IMG_2233.jpeg
IMG_2275.jpeg
IMG_2276.jpeg
Evergreen huckleberry pancakes. Hands down the best wild PNW berry for pancakes, period. I love my high mountain blue huckleberries but there is just something about the evergreens that works so well in baked goods. The heavy rains have knocked down most of the berries at this point but the remaining few are the sweetest of the year.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Evergreen huckleberry pancakes. Hands down the best wild PNW berry for pancakes, period. I love my high mountain blue huckleberries but there is just something about the evergreens that works so well in baked goods.
I'm stumped. I'm familiar with huckleberries that occur around 4,000 to 5,000' elevation. Some people call them wild blueberries, but I don't. But I've never heard of evergreen huckleberries. How are they different from the two dozen varieties that grow in the mountains? Then there are the native red huckleberries that grow in low elevation forested areas. They grow in shady areas and are not nearly as sweet as their higher elevation blue cousins.

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
I'm stumped. I'm familiar with huckleberries that occur around 4,000 to 5,000' elevation. Some people call them wild blueberries, but I don't. But I've never heard of evergreen huckleberries. How are they different from the two dozen varieties that grow in the mountains? Then there are the native red huckleberries that grow in low elevation forested areas. They grow in shady areas and are not nearly as sweet as their higher elevation blue cousins.
Vaccinium ovatum aka evergreen huckleberry grows at lower elevations and can be found in most of our coastal and Salish sea adjacent woodlands. Their habitat often overlaps with our red huckleberry. Harvesting is easy but generally “dirtier” than picking the mountain varieties. The berries grow in clusters and you will often find quite a few bugs, spider webs and decaying leaf or fir needles trapped within the berries. Cleaning the berries is more time consuming than harvesting. If you live in Oly you should be able to locate them a short distance from you.

VMP

Steelhead
Chanterelle risotto. seemed appropriate for this stormy Autumn weekend. For dessert, we read some of the best passages of one of the last chapters ("The Hunt, the Quarry and the Skillet" by Angelo Pellegrini) of one of our mushroom books (The Savory Wild Mushroom):
"The mushroom hunter does not gather mushrooms or merely picks them. He hunts them down; and as often as not he finds them when they are not there. (...) When stalking the mushroom, he has no other interests, passions, feelings, save an insatiable greed for the quarry. (...) Hs consuming passion for mushrooms informs his hunt and makes him relentless in it. It accounts for his effectiveness. Thus we cannot separate the hunt from the enjoyment of the quarry; the process is continuous. (...) Aspire to be a hunter whose center of interest is his belly".

1699760028337.png
1699760143890.png
1699760314190.png

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Chanterelle risotto. seemed appropriate for this stormy Autumn weekend. For dessert, we read some of the best passages of one of the last chapters ("The Hunt, the Quarry and the Skillet" by Angelo Pellegrini) of one of our mushroom books (The Savory Wild Mushroom):
"The mushroom hunter does not gather mushrooms or merely picks them. He hunts them down; and as often as not he finds them when they are not there. (...) When stalking the mushroom, he has no other interests, passions, feelings, save an insatiable greed for the quarry. (...) Hs consuming passion for mushrooms informs his hunt and makes him relentless in it. It accounts for his effectiveness. Thus we cannot separate the hunt from the enjoyment of the quarry; the process is continuous. (...) Aspire to be a hunter whose center of interest is his belly".

View attachment 90140
View attachment 90142
View attachment 90143
How timely, I was just reviewing rissoto recipes since I have a few wild mushrooms to cook up! Looks great! Vegetable stock, chicken stock, wine?

VMP

Steelhead
How timely, I was just reviewing rissoto recipes since I have a few wild mushrooms to cook up! Looks great! Vegetable stock, chicken stock, wine?
This one was a "make as you go" choose your own adventure rather than a recipe. Used roasted chicken stock, dry gewürztraminer wine, thyme, sweet onion and green onion, a little bit of sweet corn, garlic, arborio rice, gouda/emmental/fontina cheeses and chanterelles. Half of the chanterelles sauteed by themselves and saved for topping at the end, half sauteed with the onion and garlic. Key is to add the stock slowly and stir. Hope yours comes out great! What mushrroms are you using?
1699834585249.png
1699834641653.png
1699834708169.png