What have you done for your boat lately?

cdnred

Life of the Party
Finished the redo of the adjustable bow seat, laminated the wood (ash and redcedar) for the paddle shaft blanks, and while the epoxy is drying I played around with making straps for the spare paddle. Still not sure about leather, and these aren’t the finished product, but it is a front runner at the moment.

Anyone have any ideas?

View attachment 59048
Beautiful job you've done on your boat..!! Have you thought about wrapping some leather/padding on the yoke to help ease the pain on your shoulders when portaging the canoe..?

Last edited:

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
@cdnred I hadn’t. I want so see how comfortable I can get the yoke first. My guess, based on steel tractor seats, is that I can get fairly close with wood. Not sure if the current shape is ideal, but I hope to evaluate that and adjust it as part of the shakedown this weekend.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Apparently, it has become necessary that we build artillery the boys found in a book about Alexander the Great for the canoe. Any pirates that would threaten us will be advised to stay at least 10' away, lest they meet the wrath of the crew of “The Unsinkable Dragonfly, II” as we fire a 6" dowel across their bow.

1B295FA5-8C78-4014-AC9F-5B6E331C3A4D.jpeg
E41E96D6-6A5B-4A7E-88CB-7F0B4543351A.jpeg2998E936-42CA-405D-9EC5-E9E6C71AE25D.jpeg

Test firing forthcoming once the glue dries and we find some better string. Works great, but video won’t upload.

Paddles coming sometime later when we are done building outdated weaponry.

Last edited:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Thank you.

It's actually not that bad. I'd planned $2000 to buy an Old Town Penobscot 17'4" canoe (boat + paddles + misc. equipment).

The wood canoe (and paddles and misc) came in well under that.

Of course, it took ~255 hours more than the Old Town to acquire, but I imagine a person could do it a lot faster. Lots of head scratching, do-overs, and training the help.

View attachment 59125

Missing one very important detail on the budget. Access to tools/purchasing tools ;)

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Missing one very important detail on the budget. Access to tools/purchasing tools ;)
Well, there’s always that. But it doesn’t take much and besides, it’s not a good project unless you get to use a new tool or use an old tool in a new way.

Two hand planes, a cordless drill, a table saw (though you can buy the strips pre-cut), a router, a scraper, and a random orbital sander (though a sanding block would suffice). And clamps. Lots and lots of clamps. But those spring clamps are like $1.

And, since you touched on it, one does need a space to make the boat. I wanted to go 19’, but this was the limit of what would fit in the shop and still be able to walk around. As it is, I’m like 80% sure we will be able to get it out the door and over the fence to the neighbor’s yard.

Last edited:

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Aside from oars, and a few accessories like cupholders that have yet to be built, the boat is now finished enough for sea trials (just in time for April opener) and seems to weigh a little over 65 lbs.

View attachment 59083
If I built something as beautiful (an exceedingly unlikely event, given my lack of woodworking skills) it would somehow have to reside in our living room...for gloating and its safety.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
If I built something as beautiful (an exceedingly unlikely event, given my lack of woodworking skills) it would somehow have to reside in our living room...for gloating and its safety.
The thought occurred several times that if I messed up I could always turn it into a couple of those trendy canoe bookshelves.

Say, for example, if it had been 2’ longer and I hadn’t been able to get it out of the shop and around the corner past the neighbor’s roof and through the fence gate—bookshelves!

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thank you.

It's actually not that bad. I'd planned $2000 to buy an Old Town Penobscot 17'4" canoe (boat + paddles + misc. equipment).

The wood canoe (and paddles and misc) came in well under that.

Of course, it took ~255 hours more than the Old Town to acquire, but I imagine a person could do it a lot faster. Lots of head scratching, do-overs, and training the help.

View attachment 59125

Instant family heirloom. Thanks for taking us on the journey!

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
In 2003 I was in the midst of my second Olympic campaign when I came home for a break. A good friend had bought a Moore 24 and needed crew so I joined in for a couple races. Soon enough I found a cute girl racing in the fleet that eventually became my wife. 20 years later I'm buying the boat from him so our daughter can race with us at the same location we first hooked up. Quite special for us and an amazing boat; glad to keep it in the family!

122.jpeg

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
In 2003 I was in the midst of my second Olympic campaign when I came home for a break. A good friend had bought a Moore 24 and needed crew so I joined in for a couple races. Soon enough I found a cute girl racing in the fleet that eventually became my wife. 20 years later I'm buying the boat from him so our daughter can race with us at the same location we first hooked up. Quite special for us and an amazing boat; glad to keep it in the family!

View attachment 61461

I crewed on a Moore 24 on a race out the Golden Gate and back once, were you in the Bay Area?