What Are You Eating?

klq@stl

Steelhead
This was the first year I braised corned beef in the oven, tin foil seal with Guinness. Vegetables were baked in a separate pan. The best part was the Horseradish Cream Sauce:

FOR THE HORSERADISH CREAM SAUCE​

• 1 cup sour cream

• 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish, plus more to taste
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
  • ¼ teaspoon sugar

Last edited:

Jim in Anacortes

Life of the Party
I've been grilling meat for about 55 years. Charcoal, gas, smoker boxes, marinades, homemade rubs etc.. I've done it all. Then I discovered the magic of "infrared". Char-Broil true infrared technology is a game changer! "Grill2gox200" is a small portable unit that uses a disposable propane bottle (for camping ) or can be used with a 5 gallon propane tank at home. It is far superior to all of the dozens of grills I have used. No flareups! Completely even and controllable heat! The "grill" captures all the "junk" and is easily cleaned, keeping all the mess away from the interior. "Infrared" is not rocket science, it just allows the heat to come from the "grill" instead of the surrounding air (like an oven). The meat is way, way more juicy. One handful of any kind of wood chips placed directly on the "grill" (they won't fall through) produces tons of smoke that flavors the meat like no other grill. This technology is used by all of the high dollar steakhouses...for good reason. They are pricey ($250) as apposed to the standard "camp grill" at about $30. But I'm here to tell you,, if you want to be known as the best bbq chef in the world, by your friends and family, spend the money and get an infrared.

Jim in Anacortes

Life of the Party
They also make a full size unit, but after owning them both, I like the smaller one. I can take it camping, it takes less time to heat up, uses less propane and can still cook six burgers at once. You just have to get the hose to connect to the five gallon tank.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I've been grilling meat for about 55 years. Charcoal, gas, smoker boxes, marinades, homemade rubs etc.. I've done it all. Then I discovered the magic of "infrared". Char-Broil true infrared technology is a game changer! "Grill2gox200" is a small portable unit that uses a disposable propane bottle (for camping ) or can be used with a 5 gallon propane tank at home. It is far superior to all of the dozens of grills I have used. No flareups! Completely even and controllable heat! The "grill" captures all the "junk" and is easily cleaned, keeping all the mess away from the interior. "Infrared" is not rocket science, it just allows the heat to come from the "grill" instead of the surrounding air (like an oven). The meat is way, way more juicy. One handful of any kind of wood chips placed directly on the "grill" (they won't fall through) produces tons of smoke that flavors the meat like no other grill. This technology is used by all of the high dollar steakhouses...for good reason. They are pricey ($250) as apposed to the standard "camp grill" at about $30. But I'm here to tell you,, if you want to be known as the best bbq chef in the world, by your friends and family, spend the money and get an infrared.
I have a small one I take on camping/wheeling/fishing trips...it properly sears a steak...

Jim in Anacortes

Life of the Party
Because I can just throw a handful of wood chips directly on the "infrared" grill (and have tons of smoke), I can experiment with different wood chips, and learn how they effect the flavor of different meats. Applewood for steak. Hickory for chicken, Cherrywood for pork chops etc. ...I've always struggled to get a gas grill "smokey" enough for my liking. I've tried smoker boxes, soaking the chips in water, chips on volcanic rocks etc...with limited success and flare up "challenges" requiring spraying water to douse the flames. With this grill...plenty of smoke, absolutely no flare ups. Temperature control is amazing and is evenly distributed over the entire "grill".

Jim in Anacortes

Life of the Party
Aside from the ability to flavor your meat with various types of wood chips....I can not overstate the fact that this "infrared technology" allows the meat to be much more "juicy" and the results are quite astonishing. It was for me.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Aside from the ability to flavor your meat with various types of wood chips....I can not overstate the fact that this "infrared technology" allows the meat to be much more "juicy" and the results are quite astonishing. It was for me.
I think I'll get one. The price is right. I mainly do the weber kettle but thats a lot of setup and waiting before its ready. A smaller gas option for quick cooks or taking camping would be nice. I don't want a full size gas grill. I want to make a outdoor cooking area this year with a wok, weber kettle, Blackstone grill, crab cooker, and then this would round it out good.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
Damn you! How am I going to explain another portable gas grill to my wife?

Jim in Anacortes

Life of the Party
Let's talk about tortillas. I just ordered a tortilla press on Amazon. Long ago I made my own tortillas with a press. With the right ingredients, a homemade tortilla can be far superior to anything that Safeway has to offer. Far, far superior. Corn tortillas are fairly simple, but special "corn flour" is key to a truly tasty tortilla. Flour tortillas require a bit more finesse to make, but they are vastly different from the ones you buy in a plastic bag. I plan to up my "tortilla game".....Right off the cast iron skillet, rolled up tight and dipped in guacamole, salsa, sour cream etc. That's what I'm talking about.

Bagman

Steelhead
Just wine? you could get pretty well looped with just wine. When I was younger I could really put the wine away. Home made wine and some of the Cheaper brands. No Thunderbird tho.
Try Rippel mixed with 7up we called it champipple.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Let's talk about tortillas. I just ordered a tortilla press on Amazon. Long ago I made my own tortillas with a press. With the right ingredients, a homemade tortilla can be far superior to anything that Safeway has to offer. Far, far superior. Corn tortillas are fairly simple, but special "corn flour" is key to a truly tasty tortilla. Flour tortillas require a bit more finesse to make, but they are vastly different from the ones you buy in a plastic bag. I plan to up my "tortilla game".....Right off the cast iron skillet, rolled up tight and dipped in guacamole, salsa, sour cream etc. That's what I'm talking about.
My wife is Mexican American and she swears by the 'tortilla land' tortillas you can get in the refrigerated section of the grocery store, if you can't make your own. I also hear it's tough on the hands, all the kneading and shaping, lots of old wives tales about not washing the dough off your hands for half and hour till they cool down etc. On day ill ask her for a tortilla lesson.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
One word.......... Lard!