Tuna 2023

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Feel the same way about a giant tarpon/anything else that weighs more than about 100 pounds... on fly gear, you might eventually catch that fish, but it won't feel much like you "won" LOL.

But man, do I want to know what it feels like to come tight to something like that on a fly line... talk about a TUG!
I’ll tie your line to the dock.

You say that like it wouldn’t be amazing and totally worth it.
It would Be amazing

In other news, just got the “go” email from ARSC for Thursday. We’ll see what happens 😁

Bagman

Steelhead
I have two (potentially 3) trips lined up Saturday and Monday (and Wednesday).
Because of the discussion of the albacore feeding on small YOY sauries, I ordered a few examples of Popovics "schoolie" fly. They arrived yesterday and they look intriguing. They are tied on a size 2 hook, a bit on the small size, but are intended for fishing for stripers. So, I hope that they are strong enough. I wish that the flies had been tied in size 1 or 1/0 hooks. Interesting fly to try.
View attachment 82569
Steve
I ended up buying a #2 4X long hook and bending it with a pair of pliers I’m not at all happy with what I ended up with but I did buy some in #1 4X long that have not arrived yet. I got to thinking about it and knowing the size of the sauries schools that I’ve seen on a few trips out of Westport being in the millions how in the heck is a fly tied with two sauries going to make a albacore hit my fly. That would be a lot like winning the lottery 🤔. As I do like making things I will make one or two with the #1 hooks when they get here.

Attachments

• IMG_5282.jpeg
    IMG_5282.jpeg
    777.9 KB · Views: 31

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I ended up buying a #2 4X long hook and bending it with a pair of pliers I’m not at all happy with what I ended up with but I did buy some in #1 4X long that have not arrived yet. I got to thinking about it and knowing the size of the sauries schools that I’ve seen on a few trips out of Westport being in the millions how in the heck is a fly tied with two sauries going to make a albacore hit my fly. That would be a lot like winning the lottery 🤔. As I do like making things I will make one or two with the #1 hooks when they get here.

I like it Al. I have some Umpqua U401 hooks that have a longer straight shank that I plan trying this with tomorrow. Maybe with a tag of heavy FC leader to add a hookless fly or two to the mix.

As for winning the lottery. I think anything we throw at the edges of a bait ball will stick out like a sore thumb. Mostly due to our inability to replicate the real thing. It just needs to be worth the effort to run down.

Bagman

Steelhead
I like it Al. I have some Umpqua U401 hooks that have a longer straight shank that I plan trying this with tomorrow. Maybe with a tag of heavy FC leader to add a hookless fly or two to the mix.

As for winning the lottery. I think anything we throw at the edges of a bait ball will stick out like a sore thumb. Mostly due to our inability to replicate the real thing. It just needs to be worth the effort to run down.
I’m thinking if I tied a tube fly with two sauries tied on the tube and one on the hook there would be three in a row, not one on top of the other.

Bagman

Steelhead
Checking the forecast for Westport on Aug 27 does not look promising. So I’m guessing my trip will be canceled 😞. Anyone else have a forecast?

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Another attempt/variation at a "Schoolie Fly". Was hoping to test this tomorrow, but a low pressure system coming in has other ideas.

Tied on a 3/0 U-401. 30# FC for the outrigger flies. Rough, but I think will fish OK...

Screenshot_20230922_140306_Gallery.jpg

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Wow, a fly fishing umbrella rig

Lol. I know, or maybe a fly mobile? I hung it vertically so they'd all line up. The "outrigger" flies are tied on FC tags attached via loop to loop connection. Not my neatest tying but was rushing, mistakenly thinking I would be fishing today :rolleyes:. Hoping for a resched in two weeks.

Last edited:

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Lol. I know, or maybe a fly mobile? I hung it vertically so they'd all line up. The "outrigger" flies are tied on FC tags attached via loop to loop connection. Not my neatest tying but was rushing, mistakenly thinking I would be fishing today :rolleyes:. Hoping for a resched in two weeks.
The forecast for this weekend looked brutal

Bagman

Steelhead
Yeah, two trips already cancelled (Saturday and Monday) and the third (Wednesday) will likely be cancelled too. A great period for storm-watching not tuna fishing in a 28' boat 30+ miles offshore.
Steve
So Steve did they end up cancelling the 27th trip?

CanoeGuy

Steelhead
Not yet, but they will I suspect. Here is the NWS offshore forecast for Wednesday: "WSW wind 13 to 18 kt, with gusts as high as 26 kt. Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. W swell 11 ft. Wind waves 3 to 5 ft." I don't think we want to be out there in a 29 ft. boat...
Steve
Not all day. I would love to be out there right now (20 foot swells and 40 mph winds) for a 2 minute amusement park ride then have Scottie get me the hell out of there. They would need to add rollercoaster restraints to the seats tho.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Looks like we might actually get to fish later this week. Any recent intel from the albacore grounds? Still keyed on sauries? Trolling dead? etc ...... ?

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Bought some gear off an acquaintance who sold his boat recently. He threw in this pile of tuna fly gear that "some blowhard fly fisherman left behind." Was thinking about turning it for a profit. Maybe put it in the freebie forum. Haven't decided yet.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Untitled3.jpg
    Untitled3.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 49