Tuna 2023

Denwor54

Life of the Party
Tiemco used to make a bend back hook the would work for these patterns but they are no longer made and the hooks I used are for bass flies and they are light wire.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Tiemco used to make a bend back hook the would work for these patterns but they are no longer made and the hooks I used are for bass flies and they are light wire.
I wonder if a Gamakatsu ewg hook in 2/0 or 3/0 would work? Not the heaviest of wire, though.

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
A bit off topic again but the bigeye fishery has taken off out of Fort Bragg (NorCal). I had a buddy fish out of there this past Saturday and they hooked three trolling the standard tuna jigs in a regular spread (lost all three). They did not come prepared to battle 150-200 pound fish. The fish checker told them she had checked 14 so far that day. Here's a pic of a 250 lb bigeye from last weekend.

1695069116030.jpeg

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
A bit off topic again but the bigeye fishery has taken off out of Fort Bragg (NorCal). I had a buddy fish out of there this past Saturday and they hooked three trolling the standard tuna jigs in a regular spread (lost all three). They did not come prepared to battle 150-200 pound fish. The fish checker told them she had checked 14 so far that day. Here's a pic of a 250 lb bigeye from last weekend.

View attachment 82664

Wow. I know large Bluefin aren't exactly new to NorCal waters, but are these monster Bigeye a new "thing" there? And any more yellowfin like the one last year, or was that a mis-identified Bigeye? Inquiring minds want to know!

Denwor54

Life of the Party
I wonder if a Gamakatsu ewg hook in 2/0 or 3/0 would work? Not the heaviest of wire, though.
Not sure if I’m familiar with that hook but the key is the bend at the eye of the hook. I tied three on one hook and something nice size rocked me so it was donated to the fish gods. Take a pic of the hook your referring to I may have to pic some up.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Not sure if I’m familiar with that hook but the key is the bend at the eye of the hook. I tied three on one hook and something nice size rocked me so it was donated to the fish gods. Take a pic of the hook your referring to I may have to pic some up.

Bagman

Steelhead
Wow. I know large Bluefin aren't exactly new to NorCal waters, but are these monster Bigeye a new "thing" there? And any more yellowfin like the one last year, or was that a mis-identified Bigeye? Inquiring minds want to know!
I’m with you I thought they were big eyes myself tell I read other wise.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Those are the hooks that I tied mine on they probably would be fine on smaller albacore with a ten weight but on bigger set ups they might be a challenge. Just my 2 cents
I caught a couple of 10-15lb peanuts on one a couple of years ago (2 clousers on a hook) out of Garibaldi, but I agree that a hot or big fish might bend it out. Haven't thrown them more than that one trip as I fell in love with nayat & tube baitfish for tuna—far more fun to cast, fish, and seem more successful (though it’s hard to do controlled studies of that last one).

CanoeGuy

Steelhead
I have two (potentially 3) trips lined up Saturday and Monday (and Wednesday).
Because of the discussion of the albacore feeding on small YOY sauries, I ordered a few examples of Popovics "schoolie" fly. They arrived yesterday and they look intriguing. They are tied on a size 2 hook, a bit on the small size, but are intended for fishing for stripers. So, I hope that they are strong enough. I wish that the flies had been tied in size 1 or 1/0 hooks. Interesting fly to try.
View attachment 82569
Steve
Maybe one of these would be strong enough. I have used the 2/0 for bass flies and the wire diameter is smaller than a 2/0 Bluewater for sure - edited to include pics of flies tied on 2/0 PR378 and 2/0 Bluewater. I will never be able to understand how hook manufacturers decide what 2/0 means for different hook styles.

1695092097371.png

P9181145.JPG

Last edited:

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yes - the monster bigeye are a new thing. I’ve not heard of any yellowfin landed so far this season and the fish last year was confirmed as a yellowfin. Up to 2022, there were only a handful of bigeye records north of Point Conception in South/Central California. There’s a NOAA scientist collecting tissue samples from the exotics (bigeye, dorado, yellowfin, skipjack, striped marlin). He's sending them to Scripps in La Jolla to do a stable isotope analysis to determine which area of the Pacific the fish are coming from. Every large body of water has it's own signature ratio of isotopes, different from the California Current System, so they should be able to get a good idea.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Yes - the monster bigeye are a new thing. I’ve not heard of any yellowfin landed so far this season and the fish last year was confirmed as a yellowfin. Up to 2022, there were only a handful of bigeye records north of Point Conception in South/Central California. There’s a NOAA scientist collecting tissue samples from the exotics (bigeye, dorado, yellowfin, skipjack, striped marlin). He's sending them to Scripps in La Jolla to do a stable isotope analysis to determine which area of the Pacific the fish are coming from. Every large body of water has it's own signature ratio of isotopes, different from the California Current System, so they should be able to get a good idea.
This is very cool.
I had to brush up on my Pacific tuna ID. Ya never know...

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Here's a report from Humboldt Tuna Club posted this am - he also fished out of Fort Bragg. His description is similar to many others that I read from this past weekend. I think these fish will (or maybe already have) work their way up the coast:

This report is a bit late, but we came home with 44 mixed grade albies. We fished mostly 13-24N and 18-28W over 2 days. We caught the most fish around 20/28.

Just like a lot of other boats this weekend, we lost a 100# BET, or possibly YFT (it had lots of yellow) right at the boat. It fought pretty hard for a solid 20 minutes, so we weren't surprised to see it pull the hook. At the end of the day on Sunday at 18/24, we hooked something +200lbs. This thing almost spooled the 50W with ~45lbs of drag before it gave me a chance to recover any line. We fought it for 1.5hrs only to lose it when the knot on the topshot failed. So bummed. Still had a great time, though!

Both large fish hit cedar plugs on the wayback line. The early fish on a purple plug and the later fish on a Mexican flag plug.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Here's a report from Humboldt Tuna Club posted this am - he also fished out of Fort Bragg. His description is similar to many others that I read from this past weekend. I think these fish will (or maybe already have) work their way up the coast:

This report is a bit late, but we came home with 44 mixed grade albies. We fished mostly 13-24N and 18-28W over 2 days. We caught the most fish around 20/28.

Just like a lot of other boats this weekend, we lost a 100# BET, or possibly YFT (it had lots of yellow) right at the boat. It fought pretty hard for a solid 20 minutes, so we weren't surprised to see it pull the hook. At the end of the day on Sunday at 18/24, we hooked something +200lbs. This thing almost spooled the 50W with ~45lbs of drag before it gave me a chance to recover any line. We fought it for 1.5hrs only to lose it when the knot on the topshot failed. So bummed. Still had a great time, though!

Both large fish hit cedar plugs on the wayback line. The early fish on a purple plug and the later fish on a Mexican flag plug.

Reading this dredged up memory of the old exotic discussion on WFF. File this under blind squirrel finding a nut (or just a nut getting lucky) but I never really thought Bigeye would materialize in numbers anywhere near the PNW. Will be interesting to see if they continue North...

Old WFF post Feb 2016
Sorry, more winter doldrums fantasizing about summer - and big fish. Of course having a couple (rare) slow nights didn't do much to keep my imagination in check, so I managed to get in some light reading.

Specifically, the recent Big Island Report thread got me (more) curious about Bigeye tuna as visitors to our PNW offshore waters during late summer and early fall. While I admit that catching a Thunnus Obesus on any gear in the PNW seems remote at best, they are out there, and likely in far greater numbers than anyone realizes.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Good grief, part of me really wants to tie into something like that, but the other part of me knows that it would snap my rod and burn out my reel in about two minutes

Shad

Life of the Party
Yeah, I'm on the fence but leaning towards just wanting to experience that first run before breaking it off. Hours of torture not so much
Feel the same way about a giant tarpon/anything else that weighs more than about 100 pounds... on fly gear, you might eventually catch that fish, but it won't feel much like you "won" LOL.

But man, do I want to know what it feels like to come tight to something like that on a fly line... talk about a TUG!

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Good grief, part of me really wants to tie into something like that, but the other part of me knows that it would snap my rod and burn out my reel in about two minutes
You say that like it wouldn’t be amazing and totally worth it.