Tuna 2023

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Been kinda preoccupied with non-fishing stuff this year, so (shocker) I haven't given tuna much thought ... yet.

That said, the first sport caught 2023 PNW Albacore should hit the decks within the next week or three. Time to start discussing trip plans, gear, fly patterns, field tuna newbie questions, exotics, etc... etc...

I yield the floor looking for stokage to get my mind back on busting fish and busted knuckles.

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Good timing, @SilverFly. As the calendar turns to July, I've been checking out sea surface temperatures, so critical to finding tuna. During our hot spell a few weeks ago, land-based Western WA temperatures were warmer than coastal California because the latter was suffering from its typical "June Gloom" (coastal fog clouds). The major driver of "June Gloom" is upwelling along the California coast that brings up cool, nutrient-rich water along the coast, especially near coastal points, like Pt. Reyes and Point Sur. You can see the impact of upwelling in this image from NOAA's satellite data site.
Screen Shot 2023-07-03 at 8.57.30 PM.png
For tracking tuna-compatible temperatures along the Washington and Oregon coast, I prefer the "Tuna Fishers" product produced by NANOOS (Northwest Association of Networked Ocean Observing Systems). Here is the latest image of water temperatures and currents along the Washington/Oregon/N. California coast. That red is what we're looking for, especially closer than 30 miles from Westport, if possible (pretty much the western edge of the continental slope contours). So, we're not there yet, but we've only just turned the calendar to July.Screen Shot 2023-07-03 at 8.50.56 PM.pngSo, still early. And you can see that conditions look more promising in Southern Oregon, as they typically do this time of year.
Tuna dreaming,
Steve

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
It’s killing me, but it looks like I’m following this year rather than participating, so looking forward to living vicariously.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It’s killing me, but it looks like I’m following this year rather than participating, so looking forward to living vicariously.
<Sigh> gotta sit this one out, too....

Bummer you guys can't make it. FWIW, I'll be doing more vicarious following than fishing, being limited to 2 trips in late Sept. Paying rent and a growing mortgage/construction loan balance has put a serious damper on plans this year. The building permit process SUCKS!

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'll start with some patterns I will, and will not, be tying more of.

The 4-5" white squids a the top have become my go to fly last 2 years now. They're consistent troll producers, get hit on the slide, and have now landed more cast/retrieve fish than any other pattern I've used. Including the beat up anchovy (my previous go to) with the bent hook on the right.

The Saury imitations at lower/left are what I use when they get finicky.

I still need to get a popper fish but not on this pattern. It just doesn't track like the Miyawaki popper variant @Nick Clayton uses.

Screenshot_20230705_094014_Gallery.jpg

Let's see your money flies...

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I'll start with some patterns I will, and will not, be tying more of.

The 4-5" white squids a the top have become my go to fly last 2 years now. They're consistent troll producers, get hit on the slide, and have now landed more cast/retrieve fish than any other pattern I've used. Including the beat up anchovy (my previous go to) with the bent hook on the right.

The Saury imitations at lower/left are what I use when they get finicky.

I still need to get a popper fish but not on this pattern. It just doesn't track like the Miyawaki popper variant @Nick Clayton uses.

View attachment 71483

Let's see your money flies...
How do you attach the eyes on the squid? How long are those? I'm sure you already posted earlier but I can't remember.... 😆

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
How do you attach the eyes on the squid? How long are those? I'm sure you already posted earlier but I can't remember.... 😆
I use a swatch of nylon mesh material. The eye is secured with flexible UV resin. Decorative craft store ribbon is what I use now, but started with Kirkland brand green tea bags of all things, which are a very similar material and work fine.

Cut the swatch in a tapered teardrop shape, so the mesh extends a couple millimeters outside the top/bottom/rear eye radius. And long enough in front to tie off just behind the eye. No need to UV the whole thing, just both sides of the eye. The nice thing about the nylon mesh is that it's flexible and almost invisible. Layers in/over nicely with fibers, feathers... any material really. Doesn't look that durable but haven't lost an eye yet.

Edit: Per your length query, the swatches on these are only 2-2.5", but they seem to hold up fine on much bigger/longer squid patterns. Looking at pics of real squid, the eyes are usually pretty close to center of the overall profile.

Edit #2: I lied. I checked one of the squid flies and remembered that the entire swatch is coated with flexible UV resin.

Last edited:

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’m not nearly as experienced as other folks, but these are all flies I’ve successfully trolled for tuna—and subsequently retired/quit using the pattern of. None seemed far and away better on the troll than others. The only that have failed to produce are the shrimp.

1688579689834.jpeg

The ones in the middle with the foam heads have a narrower gap (too big of foam) than ideal, but have produced.

That said, when casting to tuna I much prefer snowrunner baitfish. Not to mention they’re way easier to tie, and tubes so I can swap hooks. So that’s what I used exclusively last year. Produced well on the troll, slide, and cast. They cast and swim beautifully.
1688580172239.jpeg

Last edited:

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Have a trip mid August, can’t wait. Gotta tie some more

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I use a swatch of nylon mesh material. The eye is secured with flexible UV resin. Decorative craft store ribbon is what I use now, but started with Kirkland brand green tea bags of all things, which are a very similar material and work fine.

Cut the swatch in a tapered teardrop shape, so the mesh extends a couple millimeters outside the top/bottom/rear eye radius. And long enough in front to tie off just behind the eye. No need to UV the whole thing, just both sides of the eye. The nice thing about the nylon mesh is that it's flexible and almost invisible. Layers in/over nicely with fibers, feathers... any material really. Doesn't look that durable but haven't lost an eye yet.

Edit: Per your length query, the swatches on these are only 2-2.5", but they seem to hold up fine on much bigger/longer squid patterns. Looking at pics of real squid, the eyes are usually pretty close to center of the overall profile.
I may have to commission you to tie me up several of these...seems like far too much work for my novice skills...

but seriously, I may have to send some cash your way....lol

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I’m not nearly as experienced as other folks, but these are all flies I’ve successfully trolled for tuna—and subsequently retired/quit using the pattern of. None seemed far and away better on the troll than others. The only that have failed to produce are the shrimp.

View attachment 71491

The ones in the middle with the foam heads have a narrower gap (too big of foam) than ideal, but have produced.

That said, when casting to tuna I much prefer snowrunner baitfish. Not to mention they’re way easier to tie, and tubes so I can swap hooks. So that’s what I used exclusively last year. Produced well on the troll, slide, and cast. They cast and swim beautifully.
View attachment 71494
how do you keep the eyes from coming off after a few fish?

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I’ve got two booked as well this year. Mid August and late September. Cannot wait!

I may have to commission you to tie me up several of these...seems like far too much work for my novice skills...

but seriously, I may have to send some cash your way....lol

It’d be worth it. That squid fly slayed on the early October trip I took with @SilverFly last year. I did well on simple baitfish and the spawn fly fish head flies last year. The spawn head flies seem to do particularly well on the troll over both my trips last year but I also got a good number casting and stripping.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I’ve got two booked as well this year. Mid August and late September. Cannot wait!

It’d be worth it. That squid fly slayed on the early October trip I took with @SilverFly last year. I did well on simple baitfish and the spawn fly fish head flies last year. The spawn head flies seem to do particularly well on the troll over both my trips last year but I also got a good number casting and stripping.
Yeah, I've got a lot of tying to do between now and mid-August and late August. Most of my 'confidence' tuna patterns got ripped to shreds in Baja.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Boat is about ready for the season and should be hitting the first weather window that happens in the latter half of July. Took a bottomfish trip in it a few weeks ago that involved a 25mi trip to my favorite reef to do my shakedown. Did a bit more tweaking and should be good now :D

Been slowly doing the preseason work on all the tuna gear. Got myself a half tote to expand my fish-carrying capacity as well.

Just about party time 🥳

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
how do you keep the eyes from coming off after a few fish?
Many of the larger ones in that photo are originals which have the eyes bonded with superglue to strips from hook bags, and then covered with/embedded in uv resin. Kind of like epoxy shrimp eyes. Tie the strips in, and the eyes are darn near bombproof.

The smaller, newer, ones I got lazy on and used something like these tab eyes. https://www.madriveroutfitters.com/p-14731-3d-tabbed-eyes.aspx
Not the linked ones exactly, but some like those I found in a shop in Florida. Fly tying stuff is currently packed, and I’m too lazy to dig them out.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
The smaller, newer, ones I got lazy on and used something like these tab eyes. https://www.madriveroutfitters.com/p-14731-3d-tabbed-eyes.aspx
Not the linked ones exactly, but some like those I found in a shop in Florida. Fly tying stuff is currently packed, and I’m too lazy to dig them out.
like these? :LOL:

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
like these? :LOL:

Yeah, pretty much. What did you use?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Yeah, pretty much. What did you use?
for material? nayat (over a base of bucktail). I have a bunch of it that I use on some of my musky stuff.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
for material? nayat (over a base of bucktail). I have a bunch of it that I use on some of my musky stuff.
Sorry, should have been clearer. I’d meant for the eyes.