Tuna 2023

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Thanks for posting this.

I did one of these overnighter trips on the Fury about 10 years ago. Definitely a conventional gear trip. Although Capt Mike did let me bring a 12wt on board after I explained I'd only use it when it seemed the right time, and after we'd caught a bunch. The accommodations were Spartan to say the least, but I did manage a few hours sleep. Was actually glad I couldn't sleep at 2AM. The night sky 40 miles offshore, is something I'll never forget. Was like being in a planetarium, with the water around the boat even more amazing, floating in a galaxy of bioluminescence.

It's also a great bargain if you want to load up on tuna. Think my buddy and I brought home 150# of loins each. And that was after 3 Orcas crashed one of the biggest bait stops I've been on. If anyone books this I'd plan on full conventional. That said, you might have a better chance to get in some bug flicking given the successes of @Nick Clayton and PNWFF crews. Attitudes towards tuna fly fishing have changed significantly.
Very true about it being both a meat trip and spartan accomodations. If you guys do go, plan on taking a light blanket and a self inflating sleeping pad. And food and water.

The one trip I did with them 8 years ago, the rods were Shimano with Avet lever drags. Sure you can take your own gear, but for the conventional stuff, I wouldn't.

Mike is a good captain. You don't get to do 40 years of charter boat being a jerk.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Going to head out of CR Friday. Posting about it in this particular thread/subforum because I have two guys who love them a fly rod on board. So chances of some fly action are higher than is usual on my boat. Stay tuned!

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Any recent reports? @Shad and I are a week out from our trip with @Nick Clayton and crew. Getting really excited!

Weather forecast is wind 15-20 with swell at 6ft @10s. How sporty is that going to be?

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I’m up in Haida Gwaii and the local charters from Daajing Giids came back with a bunch of albacore yesterday.
Chatted with some of the charter captains today. Mostly/all troll fish. No live bait. 3-5m swells on the regular but tuna can be as close as 3nm offshore. One hour run through the islands to the west coast. They’re running a tournament right now. I mentioned fly fishing for them and got laughed at.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Any recent reports? @Shad and I are a week out from our trip with @Nick Clayton and crew. Getting really excited!

Weather forecast is wind 15-20 with swell at 6ft @10s. How sporty is that going to be?
Sounds borderline, but do-able in the right boats. My boat wouldn't like it much. It'll be rough in any boat, but I know some captains will run in that.

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Chatted with some of the charter captains today. Mostly/all troll fish. No live bait. 3-5m swells on the regular but tuna can be as close as 3nm offshore. One hour run through the islands to the west coast. They’re running a tournament right now. I mentioned fly fishing for them and got laughed at.
Let them laugh when we put a 31 fish hurting on albacore with bug rods a few weeks ago….
Steve.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
@Cabezon @SilverFly
Sounds like they’ve only been going for albacore for a few years now. They’ll catch on eventually! This place is stunningly beautiful but wow, check Windy right now for the west side weather that those guys went out in. No thanks!

Well, if they are getting tuna within 3nm, rough conditions should be easier to deal with. 30-50+ nm is not only miserable but can be unfeasible due to running slow.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
I have two (potentially 3) trips lined up Saturday and Monday (and Wednesday).
Because of the discussion of the albacore feeding on small YOY sauries, I ordered a few examples of Popovics "schoolie" fly. They arrived yesterday and they look intriguing. They are tied on a size 2 hook, a bit on the small size, but are intended for fishing for stripers. So, I hope that they are strong enough. I wish that the flies had been tied in size 1 or 1/0 hooks. Interesting fly to try.
PopovicsSchoolieFlies7134.jpg
Steve

Bagman

Steelhead
I have two (potentially 3) trips lined up Saturday and Monday (and Wednesday).
Because of the discussion of the albacore feeding on small YOY sauries, I ordered a few examples of Popovics "schoolie" fly. They arrived yesterday and they look intriguing. They are tied on a size 2 hook, a bit on the small size, but are intended for fishing for stripers. So, I hope that they are strong enough. I wish that the flies had been tied in size 1 or 1/0 hooks. Interesting fly to try.
View attachment 82569
Steve
I would be interested on how they work, I don’t have a hook that I think I would be able to tie one/two of them on but I just may try to bend up one if I’m able. Good luck on your trips.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Pretty sure I'm done for the season. Just don't see myself putting together another trip at this point.

Until next year :D