The Mountain Whitefish, aka Short Fin Grayling thread

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
My egg rig is usually a drop shot rig. Big piece of shot on the bottom 6" up my first 6" tag with an unweighted egg then 12-18" up another 6" tag with another unweighted egg.

I understand the top tag is slightly less natural as it's not bopping around the bottom, but it still gets ate a lot.
That probably puts more fish in the net than my setup. But man, fishing the the D with steelhead present, that seems like too much to go wrong....that being said, I still got my ass kicked by a B-Run a couple of weeks ago, so it's probably worth it. 😆

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
That probably puts more fish in the net than my setup. But man, fishing the the D with steelhead present, that seems like too much to go wrong....that being said, I still got my ass kicked by a B-Run a couple of weeks ago, so it's probably worth it. 😆

Never caught a steelhead, never even hooked a bycatch. Therefore, nothing has gone wrong.

yet.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
For rigging tightline line with whitefish in mind, which I plan to do with my ESN rod for a bit now, do you prefer one heavy fly, a heavy point with a lighter nymph on a dropper above, or the heavy fly up top and the smaller lighter fly, maybe even an egg pattern, on the point?
I also stopped at the sportsmans yesterday to get some bigger nontoxic shot and tungstem putty to try deepening/slowing a drift with a dropshot rig too.

I rarely fish two flies, these days. I prefer to get a really good drift on one fly, rather than an average drift on two. The only exception is dry-dropper; I want the weight of the nymph, for casting. I stopped using drop shot rigs a long time ago; balancing the weight of the shot and the flies is too much of a hassle.

Try a #6 stonefly or #10 hares ear, with the biggest bead that you can fit. Use 5-6x tippet. I've mostly caught whitefish in spots that seem too fast for trout, but are full of boulders; they hug the bottom and stay in the slipstreams.

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I rarely fish two flies, these days. I prefer to get a really good drift on one fly, rather than an average drift on two. The only exception is dry-dropper; I want the weight of the nymph, for casting. I stopped using drop shot rigs a long time ago; balancing the weight of the shot and the flies is too much of a hassle.

Try a #6 stonefly or #10 hares ear, with the biggest bead that you can fit. Use 5-6x tippet. I've mostly caught whitefish in spots that seem too fast for trout, but are full of boulders; they hug the bottom and stay in the slipstreams.
With that water type, I'd probably end up cutting off the extra fly and just going with one too & definite euro territory, leave the bobber in the bag there...

Fly-by

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I target them on the forks occasionally. 2 wt Euro rod, drop shot with 2 flies sized 14 and 16 at 12" and 18" above the weight.

cedarslug

Steelhead
Ah just a reminder to those wanting to drop shot or have been, some of the rivers here in WA follow the "anti-snagging" rule. Drop shot might be illegal in other states YMMV

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 3.56.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 3.56.50 PM.png
    126.1 KB · Views: 9

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Anyone ever try making stuffed mountain whitefish?
I was looking at another forum and they were talking about lake whitefish being great when cooked with various stuffings. Obviously lake whitefish are bigger then the mountain variety.
If I get bored this winter, I may head to my favorite local whitefish hole to catch a few whitefish and may try doing this.
SF

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Anyone ever try making stuffed mountain whitefish?
I was looking at another forum and they were talking about lake whitefish being great when cooked with various stuffings. Obviously lake whitefish are bigger then the mountain variety.
If I get bored this winter, I may head to my favorite local whitefish hole to catch a few whitefish and may try doing this.
SF

Unrelated, but my favorite way to cook trout is amandine. It may be worth a try. The way I do it is very easy. I stuff the trout with almond flakes and a bit of onion, then pan fry it in milk. The most important part is to let all the milk evaporate, so you get at least one side a bit more crispy.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I think that the whitefish are going to be my unicorns, just briefly appearing as lucky bycatch now and again. I've been all over. I may just have to leave the area and go to one of the big rivers 2.5-3 hours westerly for a better chance.

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I shoulda taken a pic of a foul hooked whitey from yesterday. Imagine the largest gut circumference ever on a whitefish and you'd understand why he (or she) was foul hooked there. It was actually pretty comical.

Last edited:

Oliver1329

Life of the Party
I saw these at my local fly shop the other day:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I saw these at my local fly shop the other day:
Found this one as well

but i think we need our own.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I used to catch them often when I lived in MT. Usually in the fall. Small paraduns if a BWO hatch was going off and small small gold bead pt nymphs fished deep. It was a fish I never never went on in search of but did not stop fishing for once I found a school. Lots of fun. Back then (late 90’s to early 2000’s) there was still a lot of disdain for them from fisherman. I hope they get more respect these days and guys aren’t yeeting them up on the bank like they sometimes did back in the day.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I lived on the Sandy River for three glorious years in my early teenage. With my buddy who lived down the road, we'd spend the entire summer fishing, rafting, snorkeling, and doing all kinds of unsupervised, risky stuff that parents today would never allow.

One favorite activity was fabricating spears and other weapons in my Dad's shop... with suckers and whitefish being the primary targets. I remember whitefish being pretty tasty. Suckers, not so much.

(Hopefully there's a statute of limitations on illegal spearfishing 😬)

Edit: Never understood the disdain towards whitefish. They're prolific, 100% wild, take flies, fight well, are arguably "pretty", and good table fare. What's not to like?

Last edited: