The Mountain Whitefish, aka Short Fin Grayling thread

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I'll be making note about stream conditions and date. Time to pause the fishing for a bit. Got a couple, but I left after this one. This guy had such beautiful subtle colors that just don't show with one photo, but he let me know how much he enjoyed being caught by .......... well, you know, spawning time. Time to let 'em be for a while to make more.
20221119_spawningcolors.jpg
Low, crystal clear, cold enough for shore ice.
20221119_20deg.jpg
I'm gonna get one of those whitefish stickers for the car :)

Last edited:

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I shoulda taken a pic of a foul hooked whitey from yesterday. Imagine the largest gut circumference ever on a whitefish and you'd understand why he (or she) was foul hooked there. It was actually pretty comical.
And hard to pull in…

mattsavage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I couldn't even begin to get my hand around this fatty... Pushing 20" Just sat on the bottom like a dead log.
I alwasy catch them on sz14-16 perdigons. Usually a 3.8mm tungsten bead, blue body, maybe a pink hotspot or short pink tail. Usually faster, deeper pools. Sometimes just tossed straight in to random whitewater hail mary kinda stuff...
My wife is annoyed i never bring home fish... Now that i hear these are good smokers i just might bring some of the bigger ones home to toss on the green egg.

1669078385161.png

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I couldn't even begin to get my hand around this fatty... Pushing 20" Just sat on the bottom like a dead log.
I alwasy catch them on sz14-16 perdigons. Usually a 3.8mm tungsten bead, blue body, maybe a pink hotspot or short pink tail. Usually faster, deeper pools. Sometimes just tossed straight in to random whitewater hail mary kinda stuff...
My wife is annoyed i never bring home fish... Now that i hear these are good smokers i just might bring some of the bigger ones home to toss on the green egg.

View attachment 42022
Youre def invited to the club with that hog

PhilR

Whale Shark
Forum Supporter
I got ahold of a few today. Got ‘em on a hares ear.

41713EA1-0584-4A13-AA92-FE269857ABBE.jpeg

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Honestly, I started the idea of stickers but I couldn’t figure out what it should say, because everything just seemed like a Whitefish, MT bumper sticker. But you nailed it.

Need to make WHITEFISH UNLIMITED stickers asap.
I'd get one.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I need some. I felt a lot of tugs today yet I was disappointed each time a trout showed up instead of a whitefish.:(

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I need some. I felt a lot of tugs today yet I was disappointed each time a trout showed up instead of a whitefish.:(
In fairness, yesterday was a over 50/50 whitefish/redside. I just don't really take all that many pics of trout (or even the whitefish) any more unless it's too small, too big, too absurd in some manner, or too colorful....guess that leaves a lot of doors open.

Ryan Smart

Steelhead
A friend and I were fishing a trib to the Yellowstone this fall, and I caught a couple whitefish while swinging streamers on a sink tip... obviously not targeting whitefish, but was a humorous way to catch them. We caught a few bigger ones on nymphs, but this one got its picture taken because it was such a mean streamer eater!

20220928_180130.jpg

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
One time I broke a rod tip while landing a whitefish. While I’m fully aware it was user error, it’s still fun to say I broke a rod landing a whitefish.

Kyle Smith

Steelhead
One of the best days of fishing in my entire life involved nothing but whitefish. My good friend and I fished a tributary of the Big Hole over 4th of July 2019. Green drakes and yellow sallies were everywhere. I missed quite a few fish on the drake pattern, thinking these were large brook trout. Once a #14 yellow Sally with no hackle was on my line, the dry fly action was non-stop. Between me and my buddy, we caught about 50 fish that day, before a thunderstorm chased us back to the car. The beer at the bar in Wise River tasted great that evening.
IMG_0854.JPG