The Mountain Whitefish, aka Short Fin Grayling thread

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
It's catching on!!!!

QuickreleaseEN

Steelhead
One of the largest whities I've caught took a smallish sculpin streamer. It didn't compare to some of the hogs y'all are posting though! I'm white with envy.

To any new people looking to explore this wonderful fish!

Whitefish have an uncanny desire to death roll and violently flip back and forth when you're trying to unhook them. Barbless hooks will save you a lot of hassle, tangles and damaged flies and save the fish injury and stress.
Consider using egg patterns on a standard hook instead. Pegged beads with a separate hook often hook them below the mouth, on the bottom of the throat or gills.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
We ate them when i was a kid and fished the upper NF of the Lewis up toward the Muddy Creek drainage into the main Lewis stem. Pre Mt St Helens late 60’s. I recall them being tasty but boney. I alwaus treat them with respect. An amazing fish with staying power. There is reason to refer to them as an indicator species

cedarslug

Steelhead
No photos. I went out on a whim after work on Thursday, and ended up with a whitefish in hand. Found it in a deep pool, and it took a size 16 cased caddis fly. First fish of 2023 for me, and right in time before my license expired!

mattsavage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Fished on my favorite local tributary the last two afternoons (man that was a long seven months waiting for it to open…), no less than three dozen of these little cutie pies…. Most of them in a golden stone nymph or pheasant tail. Interestingly, they were mostly taking them on the rise before I recast, I could see them chasing it up to the surface. It was pretty neat. I don’t think that foul hooked one made it, lots of blood. Didn’t realize it was fouled until after the photo…😓

Attachments

• DFB70E2C-808B-40A2-9ED5-98D46BE5A898.jpeg
    DFB70E2C-808B-40A2-9ED5-98D46BE5A898.jpeg
    527.3 KB · Views: 18
  • EFC3119E-B447-4B78-8361-B1CD79A1393C.jpeg
    EFC3119E-B447-4B78-8361-B1CD79A1393C.jpeg
    665 KB · Views: 17
  • 6C805815-0E10-4F59-A1C4-CF204AA85FCF.jpeg
    6C805815-0E10-4F59-A1C4-CF204AA85FCF.jpeg
    736.2 KB · Views: 19
  • AD1A2C1E-FBFB-468E-9070-8F1B7B04E861.jpeg
    AD1A2C1E-FBFB-468E-9070-8F1B7B04E861.jpeg
    538.3 KB · Views: 19

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
It's getting to be that time! Going to fish the D the next couple of days "for steelhead".

I can't help but bring the euro rod, so we all know what's really going to happen.
Lol, I hooked a B-run in between whities/redsides a couple of weeks ago on my euro rod. It ended quickly, but not before a smoking run to the other side of the river and multiple summersaults.

Last winter instead of chasing steelhead I decided I would target whitefish. I had read about them so had some book learning, but in all my fishing I can't ever recall catching them. I figured winter would be a good time to target them as they tend to school and spawn in late fall and are known to hold together in large groups during the winter. In February I got my first two in the same pool. In my last couple outings I have been fortunate to catch a few. The other day I caught redbands, whitefish and a bull (by-catch and not to be pursed on purpose) all about the same size. I find the whitefish to be a fine fighter, cool looking in it's own way, and worthy to pursue, so as per the other conversation I'll get something started.
When I have found them, now fall and winter, it has been in large pools with structure like boulders.
I have to be deep at the bottom, otherwise I seem to get a trout, usually smaller.
I've been using a traditional 6 wt, mostly casting the weighted nymphs upstream and dead drifting, or swinging them into a soft spot and holding them there.
So far I have caught them on a beadhead hares ear, beadhead prince nymph, and one on a copper john.
I got some on size 8 hooks, but it looks so big in the fishes mouth. I downsized to 12, but that looks a bit big. A 10 prince nymph and 14 copper john worked. So I think I need smaller flies?, but how to get down, sink tip, drop shot rig (gross)? I saw a couple noses so I tied on a size 18 Griffiths gnat hopefully, but that fly seems so damn small! It did find tiny trout.
I have no clue where they are all summer?
I could really use some help from our knowledgeable group in my pursuit, and maybe some others will try it as well. Lets give the whitefish some love and respect it as the fine gamefish it is.
View attachment 39078
#14, body is simple chamois skin wrap, tiny tail 3 mm or so of skin is optional, dark sparse griz hackle, one wrap will do. Fish it through a deep hole and down through the tail out. Deep, if you're not loosing flies, probably missing fish. Tie some weighted and un weighted. Just a generic nymph, but the chamois changes color, undyed doe hide works OK, IME not as good as thin chamois. Works well in late winter, low water, deep snow on the ground and the hour or two when you can keep the guides ice free.

Brine and smoke for half time snacks.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
#14, body is simple chamois skin wrap, tiny tail 3 mm or so of skin is optional, dark sparse griz hackle, one wrap will do. Fish it through a deep hole and down through the tail out. Deep, if you're not loosing flies, probably missing fish. Tie some weighted and un weighted. Just a generic nymph, but the chamois changes color, undyed doe hide works OK, IME not as good as thin chamois. Works well in late winter, low water, deep snow on the ground and the hour or two when you can keep the guides ice free.

Brine and smoke for half time snacks.
Amen on smoked Whitefish. Smoke those small ones (12") whole. Yum..