Stillwater Sciatica Hacks

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
Evidently, at age 62, I'm now in the phase to pay the piper for previous abuses to my body. The last couple years have been a roller coaster ride between feeling good and having limited mobility with the low points becoming more frequent and longer in duration. Aside from trying not to do anything stupid to aggravate my bulging disc, working with a medical professional, and core flexibility & strengthening regimes, anyone have hacks or suggestions to make bobbing around on a lake more better? ( I'm still hobbling around from my last 5 hour float 4 days ago.)

I have an old Watermaster Grizzly with the canvas strap supported back rest. I realize I gotta pay attention to my posture but I can't be the only one dealing with this. What works for others? Getting out and stretching frequently? Bringing along single use ice or heat packs? Wearing one of those velcro back supports? Choosing to fish near a massage parlor? Or simply staying home until one heals up?

Yep, I'm whining in my Wheaties here but what works for others?

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
I would consider addressing the underlying cause. When I had disk issues, no amount of physical therapy or ice/ heat provided anything more than temporary relief. They do not fix themselves.
Having the back surgery provided lasting (24 years now) relief, with about a 4 month recovery period.
YMMV

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I had sciatica when I was about your age but somehow got rid of it over the years. There is online information about small steps you can take to alleviate the pain and I would advise taking all of them. As already noted by Kado, not sitting on a wallet is probably the first and easiest step. There is a vitamin regimen that is helpful for the nerves in that area that you might try. I have been sitting on a foam donut for decades now, have them in both vehicles and my recliner at home and it brings a lot of relief, especially on long drives.

Also, having a more comfortable boat would probably help a lot with a supportive seat. I know guys rave about their Watermasters like they rave about their hard riding and uncomfortable Toyota Tacomas but the bottom line is they are not ergonomically friendly and row and transport like a dead and bloated wildebeest. Hopefully you are not overweight as extra body weight will also contribute to the pain and just make life harder as you age.

You could start thinking now about what kind of a boat you would want to fish out of if you were 72 or 82 and start moving in that direction. Nearing 86 now I can assure you that a lot of compromises will become necessary in the next few years to adjust for the ageing process and the sooner we accept them and start to compensate the easier the transition will be.

Good luck with getting rid of the pain, it is literally a pain in the ass and makes life miserable. Do all you can including some physical therapy and take a long hard look at your diet, some foods are inflammatory and only make the situation worse.

Finally, enjoy shopping for a new boat! As rugged as they are, Watermasters are the coal barge of inflatables and there are far better choices for stillwater out there.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I'm not sure what it is with my back - it goes out (whatever that means). At one point I saw a physical therapist; she helped me a lot and with her exercise regime I keep "healthy" most of the time (until I do something STUPID like try to wrestle a couple 70 pound "traction sand" tubes in the bed of my truck). First thing in the morning I do the stretching/yoga exercises I learned from PT. If my back goes out, so far I've been able to get relief from a chiropractor in one or two visits.

Ice on my back when it first goes out and alternate ice and heat after a day.... Ibuprofin and a muscle relaxer are in a zip lock bag in my pocket; thankfully not needed often.

Good luck!

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’m 35 and started having issues with mine last year. I started doing hot yoga 3-5 days a week and that took care of it. When I had knee surgery in the fall and had to back off yoga for a couple weeks it started bothering me again.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
You probably know this, but my sciatica issues disappeared once I stopped having my wallet in my back pocket.
I made the same switch to a slim front pocket wallet on the advice of a massage therapist and it really helped with my back pain.

On a kind of related note to the OP, my back hurts after a day of wading and casting. I'm curious about those wide "back saver" wading belts made by a few companies. Do they really help?

Last edited:

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I made the same switch to a slim front pocket wallet on the advice of a massage therapist and it really helped with my back pain.

On a kind of related note to the OP, my back hurts after a day of wading and casting. I'm curious about those wide "back saver" wading belts made by a few companies. Do they really help?
Yes!

Reactions: Zak

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
I had sciatica about 13 years ago. I am a physician, (retired now). Studies show that sciatica gets better over time usually. The old neurosurgery joke is to hurry up and operate before it gets better on its own. Anyway, I waited about a year, doing PT and other things. But the pain persisted. Interestingly it seemed best when I was out fishing. I did buy one of the Simms lumbar support wading belts and feel like that helped a bunch. I did have times when I could barely drive to work due to the pain down my leg, and I lived 2.5 miles from work at that time. It started keeping me awake, I would wake up early and be unable to go back to sleep. I finally broke down and had surgery nearly a year after it started. I had many patients and several friends who have had the surgery and many of them said the same thing "And when I woke up, the pain was gone!" But when I woke up, the pain was not gone and it persisted for a couple years. I slowly started getting more active again, I had stopped playing tennis and golf for about 3 years. Now, I feel pretty good. I'm retired, I play tennis about 5 times weekly and fish most weeks at least once, play occasional golf. While I don't regret my decision to have surgery, I don't believe it really helped much, and may have actually slowed my recovery. I took almost no narcotics during this time, but I did probably take more ibuprofen than I should have.

My advice is to stay active as you can, I think that is more important than doing just core exercises. Walk a lot. Fish as much as tolerated. And hang in there if you can. Obviously if you start losing motor activity of your leg, it is a different story. Keep tabs with your primary care provider.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Reccomend a consult with a sports orthopedist who performs PLDD, which is a minimal incision procedure using a laser needle to remove excess fluid from the bulging disc putting pressure against the sciatic nerve.

Reactions: M_D

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
My various pains and aches (including sciatica) get worse when I'm inactive and don't follow the routines that physical therapists taught me long ago. I'm now 72.

I'm convinced, after watching so many of my once active acquaintances slide into disability, that we often 'rust away' in the jobs often acquired with seniority (and eventual retirement) by seeking comfort and relief from any physical activity. Doing nothing is a death spiral.

Last edited:

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yoga, ibuprofen, and a good quality back brace coupled with strength and flexibility training. Posture is key as I'm sore you already know. I've also had success with arnica in pill form. It takes the ibuprofen use down when used in conjunction. Also don't ignore good ol' aspirin. Any med trends to loose efficacy with extended use so changing it up is best and it will keep the liver and kidneys working with a break from nsaids.

mark wlker

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I seem to suffer from it severely about every 3 years.
This year it was so severe it affected my knee and caused it to dislocate when trying to stand a few times. Very shocking!

3 years ago, physio therapy worked fairly well. This year, I was told they were booked solid for at least 2.5 months. (insert vulgar adjectives here) and this was after waiting to see the doctor for a month to OK the therapy.
An inversion machine seemed to work the best along with doing the stretching exercises.

I've found this to give me the best/fastest) relief for joint/muscle pain.

krusty

Forum Supporter
I should also mention that my wife, who suffers from chronic back pain, has found great relief through the use of 'zero-gravity' loungers. There are plenty on the market and we first determined their suitability (at low expense) via REI's zero-gravity camp loungers...and she now adores her zero-gravity Lay Z Boy recliner.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
For mine, once I got the inflammation down a bit (took a fair bit of PT), I started focusing on basic core exercises and stretching. That has kept things in check for ~15 years. As with anything though, there are a wide range of things that work for different individuals.

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
Thanks All....really.

Although I was kinda bummed there weren't any advocates for fishing near a massage parlor I was very pleased with the different experiences, perspectives, and suggestions. I think an honest overall re-assessment is in order. Not sure if I'll get rid of my bloated wildebeest just yet ( this cracked me up) but I'll see if there are any better seats available....or perhaps a quality lumbar support belt.

My chiropractor is a traditional chinese medicine kinda guy. He recently got me started on some anti inflammatory supplements and so hopefully in a month I'll have a better idea if the supplements and dietary changes are helpful.

Probably my biggest problem is to remember I'm not a young pup anymore and to NOT lift my fully loaded coal barge at all, regardless if I'm using proper form or not. ( the coal barge made me laugh, too.)

Anyway, lots to think about. Thanks all for taking the time to respond.

Mike d

krusty

Forum Supporter
My Doc told me this and it sounded absurd….but it worked!
Common issue, especially if you have a softball sized 'George Costanza' wallet stuffed with expired coupons and old fishing licenses.

That's why front cargo pockets on shorts and pants were invented!

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Lots of good tips here, same stuff that works for me. I have one thought. Do you row the grizzly? I know I can't use the garden shovel or row anymore without it leading to issues. I can gently fin around in the tube all day. Kicking too hard, too long, against the wind will get me hurting.

Reactions: Zak