Stillwater Sciatica Hacks

RCF

Life of the Party
I think we are living in the information age. A positive aspect of the internet is the wealth of knowledge and experience that's out there if one is willing to look for it.

The best doctors are people giving advice on the internet that know it all. Just kidding!

I have learned a lot finding out what works for other people. It plants a 'seed' to start some research and see where it grows from there.

Also agree with @Dr. Magill - complaining for complaining sake is not a good idea...

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
Also agree with @Dr. Magill - complaining for complaining sake is not a good idea...
[/QUOTE]

I agree but that’s not what I saw taking place

That said….moving on….it’s too nice of a day to step in 💩

Last edited:

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I had sciatica when I was about your age but somehow got rid of it over the years. There is online information about small steps you can take to alleviate the pain and I would advise taking all of them. As already noted by Kado, not sitting on a wallet is probably the first and easiest step. There is a vitamin regimen that is helpful for the nerves in that area that you might try. I have been sitting on a foam donut for decades now, have them in both vehicles and my recliner at home and it brings a lot of relief, especially on long drives.

Also, having a more comfortable boat would probably help a lot with a supportive seat. I know guys rave about their Watermasters like they rave about their hard riding and uncomfortable Toyota Tacomas but the bottom line is they are not ergonomically friendly and row and transport like a dead and bloated wildebeest. Hopefully you are not overweight as extra body weight will also contribute to the pain and just make life harder as you age.

You could start thinking now about what kind of a boat you would want to fish out of if you were 72 or 82 and start moving in that direction. Nearing 86 now I can assure you that a lot of compromises will become necessary in the next few years to adjust for the ageing process and the sooner we accept them and start to compensate the easier the transition will be.

Good luck with getting rid of the pain, it is literally a pain in the ass and makes life miserable. Do all you can including some physical therapy and take a long hard look at your diet, some foods are inflammatory and only make the situation worse.

Finally, enjoy shopping for a new boat! As rugged as they are, Watermasters are the coal barge of inflatables and there are far better choices for stillwater out there.
@iveofione if you're trying to row and fish from aToyota Tacoma you're doing it all wrong! No wonder you found it uncomfortable. 🤣