Stillwater Sciatica Hacks

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Watermasters are awesome, but I doubt anyone is calling them the most supportive or comfortable in terms of ergonomics. Might be time to trade that in for a different sort of lake watercraft.

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
Lots of good tips here, same stuff that works for me. I have one thought. Do you row the grizzly? I know I can't use the garden shovel or row anymore without it leading to issues. I can gently fin around in the tube all day. Kicking too hard, too long, against the wind will get me hurting.
Yes, I do row...some...but mostly only to get from here to there....and then I kick. That said, I'll be re-evaluating this, as well. I'd thought the stress & strain was coming from mostly my poor posture but we'll see.

And @Josh...yes it might be time to make the switch. Packed up and/or loaded with gear my WM weighs 40-50 lbs. I love if for the portability and minimal storage but off the top of my head I can think of at least 4 or 5 incidents where I've pissed off my back and had to lay low for a month. I'm no Einstein but I when I was working these things were called clues. :unsure::rolleyes:

Last edited:

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’ve herniated the L5/S1 & bulged the S1/S2…struggled for two years with severe pain in my right ankle. A convulsive episode from a reaction to medication (the pain from this was excruciating) shifted the disc off the nerve…I was scheduled for back surgery in two weeks, postponed the surgery…this was 2005. I consider myself extremely lucky.

Consider a new bed…very firm works for me…

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
I’ve herniated the L5/S1 & bulged the S1/S2…struggled for two years with severe pain in my right ankle. A convulsive episode from a reaction to medication (the pain from this was excruciating) shifted the disc off the nerve…I was scheduled for back surgery in two weeks, postponed the surgery…this was 2005. I consider myself extremely lucky.

Consider a new bed…very firm works for me…
We recently took out a second mortgage and bought a sweet Sleep Number adjustable bed! It’s not a cure all but it definitely helps my old back! Pretty spendy but we’re worth it!

M_D

Forum Supporter
We recently took out a second mortgage and bought a sweet Sleep Number adjustable bed! It’s not a cure all but it definitely helps my old back! Pretty spendy but we’re worth it!

They are nice. My wife and I have had ours for something like 25 years. We got a refurbished or a factory second type thing so it wasn’t as bad as brand new $$ wise but still had all the warranty.

We are on our second or third sets of foam that over lays the air bladders.

and after reading Brute’s comment earlier today, I upped my side to 40….we’ll see if that helps 👍

RCF

Life of the Party
Early 20's in a sports car, car pulls out from side road, slid sideways at 50 mph into it, car rotates and other side broke through a telephone pole. Not allowed to work for 3 years due to back issues.

You name it and I have tried it. What works one time doesn’t the next. Know your limitations and stay within them.

As others have said, remain limber, stretch, build the core, and do not gain weight. Last one easier said than done.

Now 72, slowing down, still kicking ---> just not as hard. Staying within limitations...

Last edited:

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yes, I do row...some...but mostly only to get from here to there....and then I kick. That said, I'll be re-evaluating this, as well. I'd thought the stress & strain was coming from mostly my poor posture but we'll see.

And @Josh...yes it might be time to make the switch. Packed up and/or loaded with gear my WM weighs 40-50 lbs. I love if for the portability and minimal storage but off the top of my head I can think of at least 4 or 5 incidents where I've pissed off my back and had to lay low for a month. I'm no Einstein but I when I was working these things were called clues. :unsure::rolleyes:
When I was about 80 I downsized from a South Fork pontoon boat at around 50 lbs to a Scadden Predator at around 15 lbs and it was a big help. Getting that SF on top of the Outback was getting to be a back breaker and it found a home with a young strong guy. I have used the Predator for several years now and it has been a good boat after making a few engineering changes that Scadden overlooked. Now nearing 86 I have made things easier on myself by getting an Outcast Cruzer Max with oars and an inflatable seat that weighs 18 lbs. This will be my boat of choice for smaller lakes as it fits easily inside of my Outback with no lifting or lashing down required. It is essentially a Super Fat Cat with oars and it makes a tremendous difference getting around in a lake, especially if there is any breeze at all. I vastly prefer the urethane seat to the hard foam seats in some of the boats. After starting out in a roundie with a truck inner tube decades ago the Cruzer Max is the Bentley Continental GT of float tubes these days.

M_D

Forum Supporter
When I was about 80 I downsized from a South Fork pontoon boat at around 50 lbs to a Scadden Predator at around 15 lbs and it was a big help. Getting that SF on top of the Outback was getting to be a back breaker and it found a home with a young strong guy. I have used the Predator for several years now and it has been a good boat after making a few engineering changes that Scadden overlooked. Now nearing 86 I have made things easier on myself by getting an Outcast Cruzer Max with oars and an inflatable seat that weighs 18 lbs. This will be my boat of choice for smaller lakes as it fits easily inside of my Outback with no lifting or lashing down required. It is essentially a Super Fat Cat with oars and it makes a tremendous difference getting around in a lake, especially if there is any breeze at all. I vastly prefer the urethane seat to the hard foam seats in some of the boats. After starting out in a roundie with a truck inner tube decades ago the Cruzer Max is the Bentley Continental GT of float tubes these days.
I'm liking the look and weight of the Predator Lo Pro....what sort upgrades did you make?

Getting old sucks. I’m mid fifties now, I have a very physical and strenuous career and I always did the things and went that extra mile when others wouldn’t. I’m now paying the price. I have disc issues and osteoarthritis in various joints, sciatica, tendonitis , etc… I try to not let it stop me from fishing but crawling around up and down the river gets to me, so I’m getting a boat and taking up Stillwater and saltwater fishing. Let’s just hope my shoulder doesn’t go next.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
We've had two Sleep Number beds. The first lasted about 20 years...which is damned long for a mattress. We expect the same from the second one, which appears to be even better constructed than the first. Both were easily adjustable for comfort.

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have beat my body up throughout my life. My first knee surgeon asked me, after a surgery, "Are you going to slow down now?" Answer nope, he said you're going to hurt when you're old (I was 33). And now, at 62, he was right! But man, I had a lot of fun and adventure!

I love talking with younger guys, I tell them, "Nobody warned me, so I am warning you getting old hurts!"

I had my first sciatic flare-up after knee replacement at 52. At first, I thought and asked if it could be because of the spinal injection for surgery they all said no. But they did say it could be because everything was completely relaxed and the muscles and nerves were relaxed, finally letting other injuries and muscle knots show themselves. PT and core work helped it SLOWLY work itself out. Build your core up, lose weight around the middle, and also help. Now, it is really acting up again because I forgot I was 62 and doing heavy sudden lifting during a home remodel pinched or popped a disk or two... so back to the same PT and going slow on recovery is helping.

Lastly, I was told by doctor and PT and now am following, don't sit for more than 2 hours (makes driving to some fishing a longer trip), change up what your doing, sir, stand, walk (even just loops inside the house), PT stretch 2/3 times a day even when you feel recovered.

Anyway, good luck!

(P.S get a colonoscopy, they save lives!)

Jeff Dodd

Steelhead
What a great thread, lots of great reminders for all of us, at all ages.

At 53, I work to keep the low back pain away.

I’ve always fished out of a small pram, and just recently picked up an 8’ Spring Creek pram and installed a Tempress seat on the pedestal. @M_D , you’re welcome to pick it up here in Snohomish and try it for the week. Blackman lake here in town is fishing well, if you’re interested in a day trip.

IMG_3789.jpeg

M_D

Forum Supporter
What a great thread, lots of great reminders for all of us, at all ages.

At 53, I work to keep the low back pain away.

I’ve always fished out of a small pram, and just recently picked up an 8’ Spring Creek pram and installed a Tempress seat on the pedestal. @M_D , you’re welcome to pick it up here in Snohomish and try it for the week. Blackman lake here in town is fishing well, if you’re interested in a day trip.

View attachment 102298
That's a very generous offer....thank you. I likely won't take you up on it any time soon but I did spend some time reading/learning about Tempress seats. (y)

Haggis57

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Have you considered replacing the canvas strap on your Grizzly with a newer kayak style seat with a higher back, like the seat on the Scadden Predator? You could probably pick up a used seat from Craig's List or Marketplace to experiment with.

At 67, I've got similar lower back issues that others have mentioned. My 7 year old Outcast Fish Cat Scout came with a very basic kayak seat. I was sceptical that it would provide the same support as the padded plastic seat on my previous framed pontoon. I had to fiddle with the adjustable straps for a half a day to get it dialed in but in the end, I prefer the support the kayak style seat gives. I find it provides support higher up my back and keeps my posture more erect. I regularly do 8 hours days on the Scout.

Ken

Reactions: M_D

M_D

Forum Supporter
I decided some years ago to quit talking about how fucked up my body is at 69.
The guys I hang out with really don’t want to hear it. It’s been a good strategy
I think we are living in the information age. A positive aspect of the internet is the wealth of knowledge and experience that's out there if one is willing to look for it.