State of the forum - Oct/Nov 2022 (Suggested reading for all members)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
The way I'm reading this request from the mods is: if I want to post something, either as an OP or as a response, that I know will be inflammatory or divisive... Just don't. We don't all share the same opinions and sense of humor as each other, and nobody's ever changed their mind after an internet flame war.

This is their house. They are asking us to be respectful here and sling shit for "fun" elsewhere. I can abide by that.
Exactly, but I'm also seeing that they don't want to have to moderate topics, as in not wanting to limit what people can talk about. So the way I'm reading the room... You can post about climate change as long as your posing links to peer reviewed articles and having a civil discussion. But if you post a meme or something then it's not civil anymore and off into time out territory.

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Exactly, but I'm also seeing that they don't want to have to moderate topics, as in not wanting to limit what people can talk about. So the way I'm reading the room... You can post about climate change as long as your posing links to peer reviewed articles and having a civil discussion. But if you post a meme or something then it's not civil anymore and off into time out territory.
That's how I'm reading the room too. Civil discourse is welcome. If the meme is disrespectful or "bear poking" material, don't post it.

It's a pretty simple request from our hosts.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
That's how I'm reading the room too. Civil discourse is welcome. If the meme is disrespectful or "bear poking" material, don't post it.

It's a pretty simple request from our hosts.
Leaves it a bit too much up for interpretation and bias for me but it's not my house. Doesn't seem like this will change much of anything, just more moderation.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Leaves it a bit too much up for interpretation and bias for me but it's not my house.
Unfortunately the world and the people in it are complicated. Everything has nuance. Overall, I think the vast majority of folks here understand our position.

There's maybe a half dozen people on here who this might affect. Why create a long list of rules for all thousand plus?

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Unfortunately the world and the people in it are complicated. Everything has nuance. Overall, I think the vast majority of folks here understand our position.

There's maybe a half dozen people on here who this might affect. Why create a long list of rules for all thousand plus?
Totally understand your position. I'm just very skeptical it will be applied even handed, but I've been wrong and I hope I am this time.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Here's the simplified version:

Don't be a dick.

Not to each other and not to us who have to moderate and clean up the aftermath of something you started knowing full well what kind of reaction you're seeking.

Yes, this is open to interpretation. And no, we don't anticipate having to actually take much action. We'll be very disappointed if we have to.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
I have laid it out there elsewhere for a long time. I never changed anyones mind. I just got upset with exchanges. Which are hard to let go of. It was not good for me or anyone else as witnesses. I think I either avoid that stuff or avoid that stuff. This post recommendation from the trio is well stated though I have seen variations on other sites i have been part of during the early shack nasty season

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
Thank you - it's nice to know this fundamental baseline perspective is not shifting. Appreciate all your work and efforts.

Very much appreciation from me for all you 3 do on part of creating a wonderful information and entertaining format and at such a simple request.... Just treat each other nicely. Very simple request. I am sure we can all do that with just a little effort and we can all enjoy what we came here for.... more of what we want and not division and possible exclusion. Realize what we have before its gone.

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Uh oh, what did I do now? I love this forum. Certainly don't want to muck it up.
Spot on G.
I have tried to be sure to discuss issues and not people. I do not always succeed.
I always try to be aware of 3 things:
Empathy - understanding of the different perspective (s)
Self awareness- recognition of how I am being percieved
Humility- remembering that I can be wrong

I have found that when I fail at any one of those, I just fail. Righteous indignation feels like your winning an argument. It normally fails to change the minds of people who disagree with you.

I appreciate this space and aim to be a positive contributer.

Status
Not open for further replies.