State of the forum - Oct/Nov 2022 (Suggested reading for all members)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Hello friends! We're going to get right to the point to try and keep this from getting too-long winded.

I'm sure we've all noticed an up-tick in political, culture war, and other such divisive posts lately. We've been trying to moderate this with a light touch as we know and understand that the weather has turned, fishing opportunities are slim for many right now, and these are things we see front and center with any media or social media we plug in to. With it being election season, it's a perfect storm for strong opinions to clash.

We started this forum to keep a FISHING community together. We love that we can bond over non-fishing topics, too. It's what makes this a community and what makes this a more interesting place to partake in discussions than other social media. We 110% support going off topic within reason, and love seeing civil, grown up discussions that happen in those threads.

Now, what we are NOT excited to see is a return of the blatant trolling, provocations, and baiting in to "us vs THEM" debates. The type that backslide in to personal attacks (both to other forum members or public figures) and fueling more divide between us, much like all the other media is doing. Unlike them, who do it for ratings and ad revenue, we're not going to promote or tolerate it.

We are not in this for ad network revenue, clicks, or impressive metrics to up the value of our platform. It's what sets us apart. We're here fully to keep a community thriving, and these divisive posts are getting in the way of that.

We don't care what your political "leanings" are, what "side" you're on, or anything of the sort. In fact, plenty of the content we have moderated or deleted are things we as admins may personally agree with. What we do care about is how you go about partaking in these discussions. If you have a knack for being a troll and trying to get a reaction for your post vs contributing to a legitimate discussion, then we've decided that it's time we step in and clean up the mess. This can and will include time outs, outright bans, and/or possible forum tools to quarantine problematic posters/content. The bottom line is, if you use this site as a place for shitposting instead of posting about fishing, we're probably going to ask you to leave because that's not what PNWFF is about. There are many other places on the internet you can troll and argue to your hearts content. Twitter, Facebook, WFF, hell, start up your own "Fishin 'n Shitpostin" forum. It's not that hard, the software is out there for anyone who wants it. But don't do it here.

Remember, the three of us have full time jobs, full time families, and busy lives outside our community here. We also don't get paid for this. Despite all the generosity from our members to support us, there's no paycheck showing up for us. And unless our paid membership doubles, it's not likely there ever will be. Money is not a motivator, especially since our full time jobs pay far, far more than this ever will. What is our motivator is a healthy, fun community. So we will do all we can to keep that idea supported.

So in short: We don't want to set guidelines for what we can and can't discuss here. We know there's topics that are important to us all, and many do have a venn diagram where they cross over in to affecting fisheries. But, we ARE going to set guidelines for how our members behave when discussing these topics. Any and all actions taken will be unanimously decided on by the three of us admins, and will be because we feel someone's actions are hurting our mission to keep this place a healthy community.

We're happy to hear concerns and answer questions.

-Evan/Billy/Josh

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
If you enjoy the battle of the culture wars and get a kick out of taking the biggest dump you can on those who don't agree with you, well, go for it friend! It's a free country. You get to decide how you want to spend the ~80 years you get on this earth.

But the glorious aspect of this free country is that we are also free to build a place like PNWFF and say "no, we're not doing that here". So you can either leave that aspect of yourself at the door, or find another place to hang out. I respect both choices, and would ask that folks respect ours in how we choose to run the site.

Every site on the internet doesn't have to offer everything to everyone. I don't go into a Thai restaurant and get mad when I can't order a taco. I don't go to Walgreens and yell at the folks there because they don't sell table saw blades. When I want a taco, I go to a taco restaurant. When I need a saw blade, I go to Lowes. If you want to make fun of folks who vote/think/act differently than you, there are no shortage of places out there to do so. But don't be the dude who comes here and spreads shit around when you're asked not to.

As I said in another thread, fishing for me is an escape from the bullshit and division of the rest of the world. We built PNWFF to be a place we can all hang out together and be connected by our love of fishing and the outdoors. Not as a place for us to be pulled apart by the outside forces that profit from us hating each other. I don't care what your background, gender, ethnicity, or political beliefs are. As long as you are here to talk about your love of fishing and can do so without being a dick, you are welcome and don't deserve to be treated otherwise.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Very well said Evan and Josh. It really comes down to just treating others with respect. We are asking for a little more restraint and a little less trolling/bs.

It should also be noted that our patience with some of our more repeat offenders is wearing thin. We are seeing behavior that wasn't allowed before resurface by the same individuals we have dealt with already. Treat this like the warning it is.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the reminder, and once again, thanks for what you 3 have done. Wish I could contribute more fishing reports and tails, just not getting out now. It sucks!! Oh well, there's alway birds and stuff in the sky to chase.

Cheers

Freestone

Life of the Party
Forum Legend
Thanks again for making and keeping PNWFF the best place on the internet, guys! I appreciate the hard work that you all do to keep this place civil! I am also glad that I missed all/most of what you are referring to as I have been too busy fishing the last 6 months, lol.

Shad

Life of the Party
I'm on board. I must admit I am mysteriously attracted to the trash and sometimes even roll around in it, but we'll all probably live longer without the stress it stirs up, to say nothing of the waste of bandwidth better dedicated to fishing content.

Thanks for all you do....

Scottp

Legend
Thanks guys for all you do. The tying section here is one of the handful of places left on the interweb where there’s lots of participation, discourse and sharing of knowledge; hopefully, it remains that way.

Scott

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Thank you Evan, Josh, & Billy! I've always really enjoyed the fishing and fly tying content here....it's always been top notch!

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
Thanks guys.

It was bumming me out to see the hate start creeping in. There’s enough of it everywhere else and we don’t need it here.

I truly appreciate what you’re doing

Mike d

Status
Not open for further replies.