State of the forum - Oct/Nov 2022 (Suggested reading for all members)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
+1000000000000000000000000000000000000

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Crazy, but that's how it goes
Millions of people living as foes
Maybe it's not too late
To learn how to love
And forget how to hate
Mental wounds not healing
Life's a bitter shame
I'm going off the rails on a crazy train
I've listened to preachers
I've listened to fools
I've watched all the dropouts
Who make their own rules
One person conditioned to rule and control
The media sells it, and you live the role
Mental wounds still screaming
Driving me insane
I know that things are going wrong for me
You gotta listen to my words, yeah
Heirs of a cold war
That's what we've become
Inheriting troubles, I'm mentally numb
Crazy, I just cannot bear
I'm living with something that just isn't fair
Who and what's to blame?

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Crazy, but that's how it goes
Millions of people living as foes
Maybe it's not too late
To learn how to love
And forget how to hate
Life's a bitter shame
I've listened to preachers
I've listened to fools
I've watched all the dropouts
Who make their own rules
One person conditioned to rule and control
The media sells it, and you live the role
Mental wounds still screaming
Driving me insane
I know that things are going wrong for me
You gotta listen to my words, yeah
Heirs of a cold war
That's what we've become
Inheriting troubles, I'm mentally numb
Crazy, I just cannot bear
I'm living with something that just isn't fair
Who and what's to blame?

"I've always felt Ozzy was warning the world of evil. Mac Sabbath is warning the world of the evils of fast food."

Mac Sabbath

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thanks guys.
As a very early member of the original forum, I stopped coming to the forum because of all the negativity. Mostly the steelhead forum back then, but it can happen anywhere.

This forum has been a breath of fresh air. Let's not go backwards!

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
I definitely do my part to poke the bear when opportunity presents itself. I try to keep some humor light hearted-ness too it though. What I hate to see is not even handed moderating which I've witnessed over the years and on different sites. The 3 amigos here have done a great job at modding so far as fairness is concerned. Very difficult endeavor as controversy is embedded in the sport, and outdoors, like recent debates about wolves and fisheries management, guns, fuel.... weather.

The shack nasties started early this year.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Hmm, here I was thinking you were going to say the forum has really been fun lately.
Definitely fun,
I have my concerns with the way it could go. I think it's been good how it is. But that might involve closer moderation then the mods might like.. Like letting stuff go till insults fly then close it. Also not cool, Banning every topic but fishing. Then there really wouldn't be a general forum.

How bout an example.

Person A: Posts yet another article on climate change.
@FontinalisFin says something smart ass

Who's in trouble? Or are both in trouble. Or is climate change ok for discussion and say Ukraine not..

Would mods rather have these type of threads "reported" then post a comment?
I feel icky reporting stuff, just isn't me, I think grievances should be out in the open.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Definitely fun,
I have my concerns with the way it could go. I think it's been good how it is. But that might involve closer moderation then the mods might like.. Like letting stuff go till insults fly then close it. Also not cool, Banning every topic but fishing. Then there really wouldn't be a general forum.

How bout an example.

Person A: Posts yet another article on climate change.
@FontinalisFin says something smart ass

Who's in trouble? Or are both in trouble. Or is climate change ok for discussion and say Ukraine not..

Would mods rather have these type of threads "reported" then post a comment?
I feel icky reporting stuff, just isn't me.
This is pretty much it. We don't want to be having to play this balancing act or turn this in to an unpleasant job. We want to enjoy being here, and we want members, new and old alike, to enjoy being here. Those types of posts are only amusing for the poster almost every time.

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
Couldn’t agree more. I appreciate you all, and the hard work / moderating you do . Sorry you have to deal with bullshit, I’ll always do my best to keep it legit. I don’t do politics!

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Couldn't agree more. The great thing about this forum is we can be friends as long as we talk about fishing. I dislike forums which are all about politics because I don't live and die and obsess about politics. I have opinions yes, but you can think differently from me and you'll always have a friend when we talk fly fishing.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
This is pretty much it. We don't want to be having to play this balancing act or turn this in to an unpleasant job. We want to enjoy being here, and we want members, new and old alike, to enjoy being here. Those types of posts are only amusing for the poster almost every time.
It would be nice to have a public, maybe sticky, list of no go zone topics. That way its no questions asked, feelings aside, set policy, no interpretation. Ok so it's safe to say. No discussion on...

Bears/cougars/wolves
Covid
Politics
Climate change/weather/forest fires/drought
Hatchery steelhead/salmon
Ukraine/Russia
Social media
Culture War
WDFW, ODFW
Electric vehicles
Jet skis
Logging
DMV

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
It would be nice to have a public, maybe sticky, list of no go zone topics. That way its no questions asked, feelings aside, set policy, no interpretation. Ok so it's safe to say. No discussion on...

Bears/cougars/wolves
Covid
Politics
Ukraine/Russia
Social media
Culture War
WDFW, ODFW
Electric vehicles
Jet skis
Logging
DMV
Like we stated, we'd rather not moderate topics. We have this expectation that people can be adults and have adult discussions. If they choose to cross the line in to trolling, attacks, etc etc, then that's where we have an issue.

Edit: THat said, if 75% of what you're contributing is fuel to the fire in controversial topics like this, then we'll single folks out in dealing with it.

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Bears/cougars/wolves
Covid
Politics
Ukraine/Russia
Social media
Culture War
WDFW, ODFW
Electric vehicles
Jet skis
Logging
DMV
The way I'm reading this request from the mods is: if I want to post something, either as an OP or as a response, that I know will be inflammatory or divisive... Just don't. We don't all share the same opinions and sense of humor as each other, and nobody's ever changed their mind after an internet flame war.

This is their house. They are asking us to be respectful here and sling shit for "fun" elsewhere. I can abide by that.

Status
Not open for further replies.