SFR Squirrels (Thread of month contender)

Sorta fishing-related

kerrys

Ignored Member
Jesse, the Australian Shepard, is pretty good at treeing bushy tailed rats. From there the .410 takes over. One shot out of the tree almost hit her when it fell. Whenever I shoot the .410 she looks up waiting for squirrels to fall from the sky. If none fall from the sky she looks at me with a “did you miss?” expression.

BCO

Steelhead
Now, I have taken gray squirrels with a .177 pellet and one of these with a little larger projectile…A miss or poor shot placement on a squirrel doesn’t produce truly deadly negative outcomes. The squirrels were training grounds and squirrel head stew really isn’t as bad as it sounds.
Dude, I see one of those in my backyard, I’m moving.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Trade ya my moles for your squirrels.

I have six traps set in the front yard. Do they make good dubbing?
Ya can’t even compare moles to squirrels. Plus i don’t give a sheet about grass, don’t have any lawn… squirrels here constitute massive encampments and they go on sorties daily pillaging any un protected growing things.

Reactions: NRC

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
I barely avoided falling off a 26’ladder because of a momma squirrel. I was cutting a deodar cedar down we t up to top the dam thing and while adjusting my footing leaned against the trunk i was met face to face with an upside down crazy arse momma squirrel chattering at me. I think my heart fell into my nards and back up to my throat real fast!

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Squirrels Are anarchists. They are organized. Every spring i see em on the big branches gathered together in a briefing early in the morning. Looks more like a classroom or training session. There are these older squirrels with huge busy tails and a bunch of younger smaller ones gathered on the same branch. Chattering students getting the lowdown on this neighborhood. No sooner do i finish planting beans and go in for more coffee … when I come back out my beans are dug out of the planting trench and there are holes everywhere. They have beady eyes and are crazy like on squirrel crack. I think the head master Yota squirrel master oughta institute some kind of behavior control policies.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I have waged war upon these creatures of the afternoon. Fuckers wont let me grow anything on my deck so the gloves are off. I plan on making a small version of these for my deck. The music was extra inspiring.

ps this is totally sorta fishing related cause we use squirrels for fly tying

Be careful. You might just end up with a cacophonous of woo-hoo’s coming from the deck day and night.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Fox squirrels aren’t native to the Basin. They’re destructive bushy tailed rats. They steal walnuts from our tree and built a nest under the hood of my truck by destroying the battery blanket. I give them lead dirt naps every chance possible.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Be careful. You might just end up with a cacophonous of woo-hoo’s coming from the deck day and night.
I won’t harm them so i just buy shit tons of hardware cloth and fashion screen covers for pots and boxed beds chicken wire layed on a bed when ready to direct seed and the uniform wire perfs make allignment and spacing nice and neatCD41D8DF-6E35-406D-BBD1-941C1ACE3354.jpeg

Attachments

• F980BD18-E13C-4C2B-B903-DB50B4222223.jpeg
    F980BD18-E13C-4C2B-B903-DB50B4222223.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • F150DA48-5DEC-4EBC-BDAD-673702D1CA9E.jpeg
    F150DA48-5DEC-4EBC-BDAD-673702D1CA9E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • E1E740F0-8BFC-4E8C-8EF6-F37A5BCEACBD.jpeg
    E1E740F0-8BFC-4E8C-8EF6-F37A5BCEACBD.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • E2864639-3EAA-463F-BA62-42965B3A2597.jpeg
    E2864639-3EAA-463F-BA62-42965B3A2597.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Ya can’t even compare moles to squirrels. Plus i don’t give a sheet about grass, don’t have any lawn… squirrels here constitute massive encampments and they go on sorties daily pillaging any un protected growing things.
Hmm, the squirrels (Eastern Grays) in our neighborhood seem quite civil and behaved. They must be Canadian. ;) They even seem to be on good footing with the neighborhood cats, since their numbers certainly aren't dwindling considering how many cats there are. Professional courtesy, I guess.

The frigging moles, on the other hand, literally swim through our sandy loam, make quite a mess of tunnels and hills, and even manage to mound dirt in the irrigation system valve boxes. Come to think of it, the pansy cats don't seem to bother them either,

The moles must die. Got one yesterday. A six trap gauntlet it still set.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
When I lived in Lacey near the old Sulky Track, we had a racoon problem. One night was sitting on my patio and i suddenly got this feeling I wasnt alone. Looked up and the biggest racoon I've ever seen was walking down the top of the fence . It got to the next house over and disappeared.
A few weeks later, same thing. Damn thing looked at me like whaddayouwant? and headed on down the fence . Suddenly I hear Boom and then a bit of flopping and thrashing noises. Never saw it again after that .

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Hmm, the squirrels (Eastern Grays) in our neighborhood seem quite civil and behaved. They must be Canadian. ;) They even seem to be on good footing with the neighborhood cats, since their numbers certainly aren't dwindling considering how many cats there are. Professional courtesy, I guess.

The frigging moles, on the other hand, literally swim through our sandy loam, make quite a mess of tunnels and hills, and even manage to mound dirt in the irrigation system valve boxes. Come to think of it, the pansy cats don't seem to bother them either,

The moles must die. Got one yesterday. A six trap gauntlet it still set.
Back 79 married and living in a mobile home in a rural mobeel home park, had a garden and active moles… one morning up early i was really after this damn mole that was active and getting into my raised beds i grabbed my coffee and digging fork and stood over the freshest hill, waiting all stealthy-like,, sure enough the big hill wiggled and i made my move with laser speed plumging the tines of the fork down about 8-10”. And felt resistance an stomped on the fork and pulled out a very large now impaled ex mole. I felt good real good cuz the bastich had wreckwd havoc in our crummy little yard