Speyapalooza

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
There was a Speyapalooza poster at the fly shop when I was down there today. I meant to take a photo. Perhaps I'll run back down there tomorrow.

Tacovedo

B-Run Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I had told myself when the claves returned post COVID cancellations, I would finally make one. Already had to miss EWA's Spey Day. Maybe I can block off May 14th and make Speyapalooza.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
North sound TU is going to try and get more info out soon.

Divad

Whitefish
I am in! Be it from the SW corridor I look forward to sweet talking my way into all your guys’ good spots.

Divad

Whitefish
The river is currently closed and will be during that time as well, so good luck with that!
Well wasn’t exactly referring to fishing them that day. I only know of two GOOD dependable holds on it and know more live on through the years.

Trust me I know it’s closed, it’s like getting sandwiched by two BBCs down here. Except the BBCs are Seattleites and Portlanders 👉🏿🥺😵🐟👈🏿

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I tried Spey rod fishing for a while. Maybe about 6 mo. But I really didn't like it. So I sold what rod I had along with that big fly reel, loaded with 9, 10, 11 fly line. I tied my own leaders which was a chore. I traded Matt Burke a few gear rods and reels for the Spey rod and line. It was 15' long Lot of rod to cast. I could cast it half assed, but just didn't enjoy it. I attended Aarons Spey classes in Carnation and Fall City.

Divad

Whitefish
I tried Spey rod fishing for a while. Maybe about 6 mo. But I really didn't like it. So I sold what rod I had along with that big fly reel, loaded with 9, 10, 11 fly line. I tied my own leaders which was a chore. I traded Matt Burke a few gear rods and reels for the Spey rod and line. It was 15' long Lot of rod to cast. I could cast it half assed, but just didn't enjoy it. I attended Aarons Spey classes in Carnation and Fall City.
Well “modern” trout spey can be had now without rotator cuff surgery of the inherited and historical 15 footers. Those were a more mandatory necessity to fish cuts, ledges etc with distance.

You should try a light spey setup before you seal the deal. All the motion in your hands is done within a foot and a half box and probably less arm wear than traditional one hand.

Plus you don’t need to cover such vast water for that one anadromous fish in montana, you have rivers that shit trout out of puddles 😁

Divad

Whitefish
If you where blowing out rotator cuffs doing spey casts even with a 15 footer you should take some lessons!
It’s sarcasm lol I guess that one soared on ya. Sometimes explaining things in extremity helps drive a point while adding some comical enjoyment.