Speyapalooza

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I was genuinely disappointed to not get there. But so goes life sometimes.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I didn't realize the Dually was in its 2nd generation ......was there cosmetic changes? how can one quickly identify the two generations?
Thanks.
The fore and aft sections of the foregrip are made with those burnt cork and rubber mix rings, and the reel seat is different I think. Probably best to check with Redington or a dealer if you need definitive information.

Divad

Whitefish
No lie, coming from SW WA it’s a bit of a drive to be teased like that with the river closed. In the ski world, demo days are the bees knees...on an open mtn.

Not sure of the events history or it’s timing reasoning, but might will get better turn out on open water.

BerkleeJay

Just Hatched
No lie, coming from SW WA it’s a bit of a drive to be teased like that with the river closed. In the ski world, demo days are the bees knees...on an open mtn.

Not sure of the events history or it’s timing reasoning, but might will get better turn out on open water.
Agreed, demos days are best on an open mtn!!

Holding the event in May is based on the idea that spey casting in our area and the event are primarily focused on steelheading. The thought was "if the event was held while area rivers were open, anglers would rather be out on weekend actually fishing instead of attending events."

The event was held in December previously but more daylight and favorable weather was a big consideration.

Not being able to actively fish during the event is a bummer! Especially when the river is in shape and the weather was cooperating.

Being able to hold demos and classes down in the water and not just casting in the lawn seems to makes up for the river closure.

We would love feedback from any attendees of this years event! Please reach out in the forum or contact North Sound Trout Unlimited with any thoughts, concern or feedback from this year's event.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
We would love feedback from any attendees of this years event! Please reach out in the forum or contact North Sound Trout Unlimited with any thoughts, concern or feedback from this year's event.

Maybe have some vendors that actually lead the the industry in innovation and development like Meizer, Burkheimer, Nextcast, GailForce, Bridge, Bruc N Walker.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Holding the event in May is based on the idea that spey casting in our area and the event are primarily focused on steelheading. The thought was "if the event was held while area rivers were open, anglers would rather be out on weekend actually fishing instead of attending events."
That's an important point. Given the drastically reduced steelhead fishing opportunities in WA these days, I think it would be a mistake to host the event when the river is open to fishing. When Jimmy Green began these events, they were "casting games," and most all the rivers were open, so no one really had to give up much fishing opportunity to attend. That's no longer the case.

I guess it really depends on the purpose for having such an event. Casting education; gear selection and matching (lines to rods and both to fishing); socializing; meet-n-greet; vendor displays and exposure, etc. It's impossible to offer everything an audience might want. There's room for Speypalooza to grow, and I hope it does.

Big K1

Smolt
Forum Supporter
That's an important point. Given the drastically reduced steelhead fishing opportunities in WA these days, I think it would be a mistake to host the event when the river is open to fishing. When Jimmy Green began these events, they were "casting games," and most all the rivers were open, so no one really had to give up much fishing opportunity to attend. That's no longer the case.

I guess it really depends on the purpose for having such an event. Casting education; gear selection and matching (lines to rods and both to fishing); socializing; meet-n-greet; vendor displays and exposure, etc. It's impossible to offer everything an audience might want. There's room for Speypalooza to grow, and I hope it does.
Sure do miss the casting games!

Divad

Whitefish
I don’t think it’s even a steelhead river per se, but an open river. I understand the conservation aspect but let’s be real, back in the day people weren’t going to these to catch a fish. Just like speyclaves don’t catch you fish in MT to this day 😁

The Little D with big ol spey rods sounds enticing.

Edit: or anything else open up in Seattle in May?

flybill

Life of the Party
Uwajimaya has all of the fish available and you just need $$ or your credit card!! 🤣

It was fun to get up there. I cast a bunch OPST stuff. Tried there lines and had a good time!!

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Do it in July. Open river and better weather. Maybe try to time it with hoot owl closures on other rivers.

Ian Broadie

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Maybe have some vendors that actually lead the the industry in innovation and development like Meizer, Burkheimer, Nextcast, GailForce, Bridge, Bruc N Walker.
I would agree, while I had a good time at the event casting Skagit and Scandi heads for demo's is not particularly exciting.