Speyapalooza

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Will Switch rods be covered too? Or is this an 12’ or bigger only convention? I’ll have to stop by AA fly shop and get more info. They have the poster on their window too (as mentioned before).

I definitely could use a refresher and some fine tuning…. Actually just tuning, there’s not much to refine when you suck 😞

QuickreleaseEN

Steelhead
Looking forward to this. Could use some casting refinement and maybe try some new heads.
Anyone know if there's gonna be a "how not to lose every hooked steelhead" Q&A? Asking for a friend....

Tacovedo

B-Run Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Excited for this.
Is anyone here interested in camping? I left a message with the park to inquire about availability. Could be fun to get a few of us there the night before if there are any spots left.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Anyone want to volunteer to hand out PNW Fly fishing stickers? I can send you a stack

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Excited for this.
Is anyone here interested in camping? I left a message with the park to inquire about availability. Could be fun to get a few of us there the night before if there are any spots left.
Thinking about that myself! Night before and night of.

Tacovedo

B-Run Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thinking about that myself! Night before and night of.
I called the park and they said that there's 20 something spots reserved for the event. Haven't been able to figure out any more details yet. Left messages with the fly shop and TU.

Tacovedo

B-Run Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I called the park and they said that there's 20 something spots reserved for the event. Haven't been able to figure out any more details yet. Left messages with the fly shop and TU.
Sounds like all the spots are taken up. :/
The park has a few RV spots left. I’d just be camping in my truck, so I may just show up and see where I can park. LOL

flybill

Life of the Party
I’m saving my lunch money for gas ,hope I can make it happen
I wonder who is telling the "fireside stories"?
I'm thinking I'll have to make this. I need to up my trout spey game.

LOL!! I'll be there, took the day off from work. Looking forward to it!

I'll tell the same stories y'all have already heard by now.. or we can bring in OMJ via Zoom!

I plan to work on my crappie, bluegill and bass Spey game! 🤣

See you guys there!

Kado

Steelhead
I've always wanted to go to one of these. Is this an event where you bring a rod, or is it more geared for trying out and learning techniques and sampling rods? I'm assuming lines also.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Well “modern” trout spey can be had now without rotator cuff surgery of the inherited and historical 15 footers. Those were a more mandatory necessity to fish cuts, ledges etc with distance.

You should try a light spey setup before you seal the deal. All the motion in your hands is done within a foot and a half box and probably less arm wear than traditional one hand.

Plus you don’t need to cover such vast water for that one anadromous fish in montana, you have rivers that shit trout out of puddles 😁
Apparently you didn't read what I wrote. I didn't say screwed up my my body by Spey casting that telephone pole for a rod. I SAID I DIDN"T ENJOY IT. . I have more fun with a single handed rod. I was never interested in how far I could sling line with a two handed rod. Me and Spey casting just didn't see eye to eye. So I gave it the fuck up.

flybill

Life of the Party
I've always wanted to go to one of these. Is this an event where you bring a rod, or is it more geared for trying out and learning techniques and sampling rods? I'm assuming lines also.
Check out new gear! Tell lies, I mean fish stories.. meet famous people.. Rockstars of the Spey and Steelhead worrld.world.. drink something fermented or distilled. Have lunch! Just fun! Many are probably staying over but even a half day is fun.. I'll have a tent with me.. no time constraints as I have the next couple of days after off!

Come on up! Or down, depending on where you live!

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
As an example, I'm bringing a couple of trout weight speys to try out some lines on. But your post pretty much nailed it.

BerkleeJay

Just Hatched
2022 Skagit River Speyapalooza Schedule Update

North Sound Trout Unlimited and The Confluence Fly Shop present:
Skagit River Speyapalooza 2022!

Join us on the banks of the Skagit River at Howard Miller Steelhead Park in Rockport, WA on May 14th beginning at 10am.

This year is bigger and better than ever with more vendors, more speakers, campfire stories, camping, local artists, and more!

We'll have spey casting demos from Charles St. Pierre of Northwest Spey Casting, James Millard of OPST, and Ryan Smith of Avid Angler. No registration is required for any of these free lessons.
There will also be ample time for you to test out top-of-the-line gear from Sage, Rio, Redington, Echo, OPST, and more.

We have some phenomenal raffle prizes this year, including a spey rod of your choice from Echo, work from local artists, a pair of Korkers Darkhorse wading boots, a Dryft fishing bag, OPSTS rainforest packs, a Confluence Fly Shop prize pack, brand new NSTU swag, and more! Raffle tickets are $5/ticket or $20 for five tickets.

And no respectable Speyapalooza would be complete without some high quality steelhead conservation education. We've lined up three incredible and renowned steelhead scientists (Nick Chambers, John McMillan, and Bill McMillan) to talk about several research projects going on across Western Washington, as well as an invitation to participate in some of this research on the Skagit.

Here are some key details:

This event is free and open to all ages

Camping is full at Howard Miller Steelhead Park.

Additional camping is available at Rasar State Park, Sauk River Campground, Concrete/Grandy KOA, and Cascade Wagon Road Campground.

Bagels and coffee will be available for breakfast on Saturday morning

Hot dogs (and a veggie option), chips, and soda will be available for lunch on Saturday afternoon

Please bring a refillable water bottle - there will be no plastic water bottles provided

Donations are accepted for breakfast and lunch
Dinner is not provided. Please feel free to bring your favorite camp dinner and beverages

We will have the ability to run credit/debit cards, but we prefer cash for speed and reliability. Please bring cash!

We look forward to seeing you all again at Speyapalooza 2022!
Copy of Schedule.png

Last edited: