Spey Bros

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I’m just trying to become a switch dude. Spey Bro is just way out of my league.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Now do Spey Grumps....
Back in my day, the quiet elegance of Spey fly fishing was a hallowed tradition, steeped in the serenity of nature and the skillful art of the cast. We respected the river's whisper and the fish's cunning, not like these new breed of flashy Spey bros with their garish gear and their incessant need to turn a time-honored pastime into a circus. It's an absolute mockery of the craft to see them parading around in their neon waders, slinging rods that cost more than a hard day's wage, all while that god-awful thumping music shatters the riverside peace. It's a disgrace, I tell you, a pure sign that the soul of fly fishing is being sold to the highest bidder.

And don't even get me started on their obsession with social media. There was a time when the only thing you'd share was a nod of respect to a fellow angler or a tale over a pint at the pub. Now these youngsters are more concerned with capturing their 'epic' moments for likes and followers than actually immersing themselves in the craft. They've turned the riverbanks into their personal stage for vanity and validation, rather than a place to hone their skills and respect the tradition. It's a sad day indeed when the focus shifts from the graceful dance with the river to the shallow pursuit of online fame.

Divad

Whitefish
I can’t believe you all trust those hood mount contraptions or mounting your rod externally at all. Under the canopy and through the back glass it goes or broken down in two for shorter rigs.

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I don't trust the hood mounts, plus you can get dust on 'em with gravel roads. I break them down in half and use those fancy rod sleeves, put 'em in the car.

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
I can’t believe you all trust those hood mount contraptions or mounting your rod externally at all. Under the canopy and through the back glass it goes or broken down in two for shorter rigs.
You got that right re hood mounts! Remember when a dumbass friend was on the pro staff for one of those hood mounted rod racks. It was suction and I told him I didn't think it was a good idea putting it on my truck with the sloping hood but he insisted and I gave in. Just before the Cherry Lane bridge at about 60mph I watch it lift off my hood and our two spey rods (his was a Burkie and Saracione) sailed thru the air. :(

Last edited:

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
You got that right re hood mounts! Remember when a dumbass friend was on the pro staff for one of those hood mounted rod racks. It was suction and I told him I didn't think it was a good idea putting it on my truck with the sloping hood but he insisted and I gave in. Just before the Cherry Lane bridge at about 60mph I watch it lift off my hood and our two spey rods (his was a Burkie and Saracione) lift off and sail thru the air. :(
Yup, I'm out. My short bed truck wont fit the 9144 broken in half, out the back window it will remain!

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
You got that right re hood mounts! Remember when a dumbass friend was on the pro staff for one of those hood mounted rod racks. It was suction and I told him I didn't think it was a good idea putting it on my truck with the sloping hood but he insisted and I gave in. Just before the Cherry Lane bridge at about 60mph I watch it lift off my hood and our two spey rods (his was a Burkie and Saracione) lift off and sail thru the air. :(
Were his initials SG?

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Welp. Ya got me. Camped out on the fire roads off the Metolius. Headed down to the river around 7 going between 40 and 50 and all of a sudden I see all three rods falling off to the side and swinging around. Slammed on the breaks while swerving not to hit them. Luckily didn’t run anything over. Destroyed the fighting butts on my 8wt and euro (replaced both) and scuffed up the blanks as well as the end cap on my 4wt. I got REAL lucky it wasn’t worse. Unrelated (I think?) I broke the tip on my euro that day netting a whitefish (fuck yeah a whitey broke my rod). My buddy broke a rod that day to. It was a rough day, BUT it was also one of my best days numbers wise on the Met that I’ve had.

Lesson learned, make sure you really wipe down the hood before suctioning them down. But to be honest, I rarely use them any more because of that day.

Pescaphile

Steelhead
I've had two roof racks for carrying my rods, both worked great to transport fully-rigged rods. The first was the Yakima ski rack on the Subaru Loyale. This worked for carrying the rod either fully assembled, or broken in half. This system was great. Cheap (it was given to me used), fast to secure the rods, fast to remove them, secure, multi-purpose and didn't give the vehicle the "Orvis" look (though, given the dents and rust, that was probably not possible regardless of the rod carrier.)

The other was the 1" pipe bar rack on the aluminum canopy I had on an old '80 F250. I tied a couple feet of old fly line to it and set the rod on the two bars. I'd tie the rod down with a few wraps of the fly line and then secure it with two or three half hitches around the pipe cap. This was a little slower then the ski rack but plenty secure and definitely not "Orvis"

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Back in my day, the quiet elegance of Spey fly fishing was a hallowed tradition, steeped in the serenity of nature and the skillful art of the cast. We respected the river's whisper and the fish's cunning, not like these new breed of flashy Spey bros with their garish gear and their incessant need to turn a time-honored pastime into a circus. It's an absolute mockery of the craft to see them parading around in their neon waders, slinging rods that cost more than a hard day's wage, all while that god-awful thumping music shatters the riverside peace. It's a disgrace, I tell you, a pure sign that the soul of fly fishing is being sold to the highest bidder.

And don't even get me started on their obsession with social media. There was a time when the only thing you'd share was a nod of respect to a fellow angler or a tale over a pint at the pub. Now these youngsters are more concerned with capturing their 'epic' moments for likes and followers than actually immersing themselves in the craft. They've turned the riverbanks into their personal stage for vanity and validation, rather than a place to hone their skills and respect the tradition. It's a sad day indeed when the focus shifts from the graceful dance with the river to the shallow pursuit of online fame.
Perfect. Couldn't do it any better. Get off Jake's lawn you punks.