Spey Bros

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
Damn . . . all this Stoke and no Swimmy. Whatever happened to Bozeman's Man of Stoke? This spey stoke/spey bro stuff cracks me up. Not sure when it became 'cool', but it definitely wasn't Ed who started it.

SpeyBro . . . any tool who will pose with a fish while balancing a spey rod on his (or her) neck. :cool:

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
I don't know if "Stout" is a Spey Bro term, but it certainly applies to what those guys did. Quite a video. Reminds me of a funny story involving kayaks and a Columbia gorge river. I was one of three friends that were getting into Steelhead flyfishing in the late 80s. Another was a very experienced trout fisherman, and the last was a hotshot windsurfer and adrenaline junkie. Adrenaline junkie borrows a couple kayaks and convinces friend #2 to go with him on a trip down a river gorge with no road access. The lure of Steelhead and no crowds was strong even then. Unfortunately, he forgot to mention that there were things like waterfalls and Class 4+ rapids. Friend #2 survives (barely) and they both crawl out of the gorge to fish another day. I remember Friend #2 telling me this story over a beer. Amazing, the dumbass shit we do when we're young. But Stout - definitely Stout.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I've been following this thread for the entertainment, so image my surprise when I ran across this while researching an unrelated subject. Appears Gawesworth may just be the OG of spey bros. Or he read this thread before choosing his email address.

View attachment 56177

I didn't realise he was local.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Is this, or are they, an actual thing? If so, what defines Spey Bros? I heard this term, but I don't know what it means.

If you strap your rods fully rigged outside the vehicle you are automatically in the club.

"Are you tired of breaking your rod down and putting it safely in your vehicle? Are you needing others to know you are not just an average angler but are super core? Well if so these exterior Spey antler racks are for you. We keep your rod outside for all to see. They will know you're core and so will you when the 101 road grit grinds in your click pawl. Don't hide your passion. Fly it in the breeze for all to see."

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
What the heck is a stoke?
Whoa dude, "stoke" or "stoked", that's like, the raddest feeling you catch when you're super pumped or excited about something, ya know? It's like when you buy a new neon flat-brim hat, you're getting a new snorkel for your Toyota that totally matches the unused shovel on the back, or you hook up with a cuttie or some butter and you're just vibing with the rhythm and everything feels gnarly in the best way. It's like being at Coachella with your shirt off. That rush, that pure joy, that's the stoke, man.

Keep the stoke alive, brah!

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
If you strap your rods fully rigged outside the vehicle you are automatically in the club.

"Are you tired of breaking your rod down and putting it safely in your vehicle? Are you needing others to know you are not just an average angler but are super core? Well if so these exterior Spey antler racks are for you. We keep your rod outside for all to see. They will know you're core and so will you when the 101 road grit grinds in your click pawl. Don't hide your passion. Fly it in the breeze for all to see."
Fuck....
What if it was only one time?? And I didn't really like it, so never did it again....
1705952823453.png

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter

And the longer the better . . . since we're exposing our fully rigged rods to the public, gotta make sure they're above average as well. 15' minimum! ;)

flybill

Life of the Party
And the longer the better . . . since we're exposing our fully rigged rods to the public, gotta make sure they're above average as well. 15' minimum! ;)
Yo Dude! Anything less than a 15' rod, is just for euro nymphing.. dooh! And I'll find my Spey hat.. except, I fold over the brim.. so guess I don't qualify! :cool:

Pescaphile

Steelhead
This thread is illuminating. I used to drive my old beater Subaru Loyale with a Yakima ski rack to carry my fully-rigged rods. I would place the rod tip forward because I almost backed the rod into a tree when turning around. This made the rods stick way out ahead of the front bumper (15 ft 10150 and other similar sized😎) and I remember they would gyrate wildly when I met oncoming semis when I was heading up to Martel from Spences Bridge. It worked great.

This was, like, 25 years ago. I never realized I may have been a Spey Bro or that there even was such a thing. OMG did I just say "like"? 😲

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
This thread is illuminating. I used to drive my old beater Subaru Loyale with a Yakima ski rack to carry my fully-rigged rods. I would place the rod tip forward because I almost backed the rod into a tree when turning around. This made the rods stick way out ahead of the front bumper (15 ft 10150 and other similar sized😎) and I remember they would gyrate wildly when I met oncoming semis when I was heading up to Martel from Spences Bridge. It worked great.

This was, like, 25 years ago. I never realized I may have been a Spey Bro or that there even was such a thing. OMG did I just say "like"? 😲
I don't think I ever ran into a SpeyBro on the Thompson. Everything we did up there was practical and posers were quickly weeded out. I remember leaving the back window down on my old Isuzu Rodeo and the dude in the passengers seat always had a couple reels in his lap as we traveled from run to run. No style points, just getting there without breaking anything. Damn, thinking about that river makes me sad. :(