Simms Bought for $192 Million

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Czech quality control coming to Simms products.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
So...what will happen with Simms in Bozeman...destination center???;)

G_Smolt

Legend
If you read the press release, you will note that Simms has been retained by Vista, and Vista is reorganizing at the corporate level.

Scslat

Anadromous Angler
Forum Supporter
Just bought one of the last of the G3 vests, which I think are the best on the market (although discontinued). May be the last Simms purchase. My wife was just saying today that I have a lot of stuff that says "Simms" on it. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Simms has been more important to the industry than whatever its future status might be. We are lucky to have so many good and high quality products available for out little niche hobby.

Early in my fly fishing endeavor the only decent rain coat was Helly Hanson. It still keeps the rain out and all the sauna-like sweat bath in. The choice in waders was limited to Hodgeman, Marathon, and Seal Dri. And none of those was ever a very good fit. And the only good wading boot was Russell, made of leather and wool felt sourced from the supplier to Steinway pianos, and took forever and a day to dry out. Then Weinbrenner came on the scene, and those were wonderful. And finally Simms and all the rest. We got it plush and easy friends.

Czech quality control coming to Simms products.
There's a lot of corporate speak and financial hijinkery in that press release, but "Vista" will be retaining ownership of Simms and then rebranding the new parent company holding the brands that it is keeping as "Revelyst" (wonder how much they paid to come up with that name). The company will be publicly traded. The current Vista Outdoor CEO will assume the same role at Revelyst. So, ultimately, probably not much will change...maybe even better focus on the core group of brands they end up keeping.

Mukman

Life of the Party
OK, but let's not be too hasty here.

Imagine you're the CEO of Vista. You just paid $193M for a premium brand of fishing gear, which represents somewhere between a .5 and .8 multiple of annual revenue. You're going to trash the brand after you've arguably overpaid? Cutting costs in quality and warranty will not improve your investment. You really need to prop up what created the brand in the first place, rather than trashing it. If the end result is as many of you speculate, it would have been much more fun to just take $193M in hundred dollar bills and light them on fire.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
You really need to prop up what created the brand in the first place, rather than trashing it.
I agree, but it happens frequently enough. Try to save money to cover some of the costs of acquisition and then end up losing money when sales decline due to the product not being what it was. I think this would be especially true for Simms because quality, real and perceived is what drives the sales when there are so many lower cost, somewhat lower quality alternatives in the marketplace.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I agree, but it happens frequently enough. Try to save money to cover some of the costs of acquisition and then end up losing money when sales decline due to the product not being what it was. I think this would be especially true for Simms because quality, real and perceived is what drives the sales when there are so many lower cost, somewhat lower quality alternatives in the marketplace.
It also just becomes part of a portfolio. A lot of times the trashing of a brand and getting it to bare bones is part of the strategy. I don't fully understand it but I've had it explained to me a few times that it's actually more intentional than it looks.

Mukman

Life of the Party
Obviously, we will watch this play out, and you may certainly be right. But, if your strategy is to trash the brand by lowering quality to save money, it begs the question: Why spend $193M (again, a high price given the actual revenues of Simms) in the first place? If you get into trouble with revenues in the future, don’t dynamite the quality - maintain the brand and sell it to someone else at a smaller loss than completely driving into the ground.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Obviously, we will watch this play out, and you may certainly be right. But, if your strategy is to trash the brand by lowering quality to save money, it begs the question: Why spend $193M (again, a high price given the actual revenues of Simms) in the first place? If you get into trouble with revenues in the future, don’t dynamite the quality - maintain the brand and sell it to someone else at a smaller loss than completely driving into the ground.
Now you're just trying to make sense. Not everyone with a business degree does. Businesses go gunnysack all the time because someone made poor decisions.

mattsavage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Vista has had massive layoffs across their portfolio over the last few months. I have friends at both Bell and Fox that have lost their jobs. Buy, buy, buy, then break it down. Seen this all too many times with cycling and action sports companies that get swooped up by big investment firms.

Tinker

Smolt
Forum Supporter

First you jettison the least profitable parts of the business and concentrate on the areas with the highest returns.

And to an earlier challenge, yes, I do understand commitment to quality. It fits right in there below commitment to earnings. You don't stay in business very long if it's costing you $101 to produce a product you can only sell for $100, nor does it work if at the end of the year, you have 100,000 unsold units. In either scenario, something's got to give and it won't be earnings.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
You're thinking too much of Simms as a standalone entity. This type of outfit sees Simms as an addition to their portfolio, nothing more.

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
It’s not just Simms, the Czechs are buying Vista. They own the US firearms and ammunition companies. Fiocchi is up for sale too. Thank goodness I reload all but 22lr. Anyone notice the .223 ammo skyrocketing?

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
It’s not just Simms, the Czechs are buying Vista. They own the US firearms and ammunition companies. Fiocchi is up for sale too. Thank goodness I reload all but 22lr. Anyone notice the .223 ammo skyrocketing?

Yes, .223 ammo seems to be either not available at some places or approx $0.50 a round or more.