Simms Bought for $192 Million

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
So here's the word.

There were multiple buyers interested. Vista was selected. Nothing will change. Wader production will stay in Bozeman.

Take it for what it's worth. But as long as production stays in Bozeman I will continue to support them with my spend.

This may end up being true but having been through a number of little fish eats bigger fish situations in my career, I have found two things to ring true.

Those in the know stick to well thought out talking points until it’s time for the talking points to change.

Those not in the know parrot the talking points, until the talking points change on them. Not their fault, it’s what they know.

If you know someone in the know, I’m sure you have been fed the same talking points the average employee has been fed. For a variety of reasons, mainly legal and monetary in nature. If you chatted with anyone mid management down, they’re likely just parroting what they have been told.

I’m probably being overly simplistic but a growing, highly profitable company does not sell out if outlook is positive operating as they currently do. Big companies don’t buy little companies if they don’t see opportunity to use big company resources to make the companies they purchase more profitable. Fishing is a niche market, fly fishing centric even more so. Outerwear, designed mainly for fly fishing and you really are starting to limit your ability to grow and be profitable long term…unless you are bought by a company that has ability to scale your business appropriately. Because of that, I cannot imagine new ownership would purchase a company like Simms and stick with the current operating model without making changes. Be it to production manner, production location, warranty, quality of materials, etc. etc. They’ll need to squeeze and streamline and source differently, which means things change from how they are today.

I could be wrong, maybe things were great at Simms, the current owners just wanted out and Vista’s path to profitable growth is buying up a lot well run niche companies and keeping them as is. Doubtful though. I imagine we’ll see changes impacting consumers eventually. Not tomorrow or even in the next 5 years. Eventually though.

Not a bad thing necessarily. Capitalism at work. If you want to support a company like Simms was…start doing your research and find the next up and coming thing.

G_Smolt

Legend
No upper mgmt changes...KC consulting, Casey still in the driver's seat.
No rep force changes...something that has predicated shitty decisions in the FF industry the last few years (see also: Abel, AirFlo, Hardy, Ross, etc, etc).
A break from the "whipping post" of short-term investment capital, which led to some...interesting decision-making in the last 5 years at Simms.
I, for one, am looking forward to the stability potentially offered by this acquisition, and think Simms has the opportunity to settle back into the key markets which built the brand.

IMO, and YMMV.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
They are also big fans of the forum and said it is obvious albula has a crush on me.

I have thought that for years. He does spend time replying to your threads and engaging you.
A harmless man-crush, so it seems.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Yeah, I know its from Red October. Just wonder if we might give these guys a little slack. We seem as a society to convict on assumptions, and pardon though the facts are right in front of us. I wish the best for Simms customers and employees.
Went back and looked,at it again. It does announce correctly at the beginning, but is very easily confused for the other because of Al Gores rhythm at the end.

As for the merger? meh. It's not the end of the world.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
No rep force changes...something that has predicated shitty decisions in the FF industry the last few years (see also: Abel, AirFlo, Hardy, Ross, etc, etc).
A break from the "whipping post" of short-term investment capital, which led to some...interesting decision-making in the last 5 years at Simms.
I, for one, am looking forward to the stability potentially offered by this acquisition, and think Simms has the opportunity to settle back into the key markets which built the brand.

IMO, and YMMV.

This is exactly the "talking points" Jasmillo was talking about in the post just above yours. Of course they aren't going to announce any major, or even small, changes at this point. They bought the brand name, don't want to fuck it up now! But in time....creep....

I hope I'm wrong. My last job was for a $100mill outdoor apparel company that eventually got parted out to licensees. My current job is for a $20mill niche outdoor apparel company that is in the process of being sold, but with the owner keeping "minority control". The rhetoric is the same as what is coming out of Simms...

dflett68

Steelhead
"kc consulting" is NOT "kc still in the driver's seat." it IS a fundamental and complete change to upper mgmt. anyone who was an upper manager before this announcement is now a middle manager walking on broken glass - for the time being.

Derek Young

Steelhead
What is known about the founders of Skwala? It seems that their first retail sales locations were/are Simms shops, and or influential fly shops in MT. Who owns the company? Did they previously work for Simms?

Millsfly

Steelhead
What is known about the founders of Skwala? It seems that their first retail sales locations were/are Simms shops, and or influential fly shops in MT. Who owns the company? Did they previously work for Simms?

Yo guys...

The fellers behind Skwala were at the helm of Sitka for about a decade. legit anglers who have the legit background. I dont think there's any connection to Simms. at the helm is a guy named Kevin Sloan. I work with him via partnership with BHA and have been nothing but impressed with their conservation ethos and well designed product.

My 2 cents. Worthy product, well thought out, good range of movement, give it a run, make the decision for yourself

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
Many years ago Far Bank bought out Sage, Redington and Rio lines. I've noticed no decline in products or service. So you never know.

Many years ago Far Bank bought out Sage, Redington and Rio lines. I've noticed no decline in products or service. So you never know.
Far Bank is a tad different since it's owned by the Joshua Green Corporation, which is basically a private equity firm based in Seattle but they seem to be less interested in dumping their businesses after a few years than most PE firms. I think Joshua Green Corp has owned Sage since the early 90s.

Simms is now owned by a publicly traded company as a component of Vista Outdoors so it's apples-to-oranges now. Simms took an investment from Castanea Partners a few years ago, which is a private equity firm that functions more like most PE firms that exist to rapidly grow/expand a business and then try to dump it within 5 years. Their investment correlated closely with the Simms push into conventional fishing/lifestyle apparel.

At the moment, it seems like Orvis and Patagonia are the only two major players that haven't been snapped up by PE, and probably never will.

I'd actually venture to say that Rio has declined in quality significantly in the 10+ years that Far Bank has owned them. Redington, I think has gotten generally better. Sage is pretty much the same but with a much heavier focus on marketing these days.