Litter

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
I’ve got a secret admirer who drops one Coors heavy tallboy can in the alley behind my garage each day. I can’t quibble with their beer choice, but it’s insulting how close to the trash bin they drop them. 100% deliberate fuckery. Must be a territory marking thing. Or they’re an avid recycler, and since the recycling is out at the front of the house they leave the good work for me.

Scottybs

Head Master Flyfisher In Charge
Forum Supporter
Back bacon is the real deal. Ordinary fat-laden bacon is only good for greasing the BBQ before putting on the salmon fillet. Whatever. It’s all just pig meat. But I do like marinated pork tenderloin. Yikes, what a thread drift!
Thread drift is allowable here… just not drifting with beads… so I’m told.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I’ve got a secret admirer who drops one Coors heavy tallboy can in the alley behind my garage each day. I can’t quibble with their beer choice, but it’s insulting how close to the trash bin they drop them. 100% deliberate fuckery. Must be a territory marking thing. Or they’re an avid recycler, and since the recycling is out at the front of the house they leave the good work for me.
Something that is that regular is crying out for a booby trap of some kind.

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
Someone used to regularly dump their beer cans and cig butts in my alley trashcan as well. At least it made it into the can. Better than the crack pipe someone stashed underneath my alley compost tarp.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
As a Canadian, I gotta ask where that comment came from, Dustin. I know you're just joking, but sheesh!
It's a least partially directed at me (I think it was in response to my comment back at Finluver), @Dustin Chromers and I have had a few dust-ups, nothing serious, we also have an ongoing bacon debate - he seems to think Canadian bacon is a real thing in Canada and is the bacon we eat with eggs etc, Sheesh. He just won't listen to an expert on bacon, as all Canadians are.

Cheers

All good natured humour and a reference to the movie Canadian Bacon and Southpark. I'm descended from Canada myself and a half breed with half my blood stemming from the maple leaf. Though even at that my American half may not be a smart man but it knows what bacon is. Napkins too.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
For many years I regularly hiked a trail along the Spokane River and one day spotted a plastic bag stuffed deeply into a huge cracked Boulder. Inside was a copy of the Epoch Times accompanied by a crisp new dollar bill. This went on for several years, mainly during ths spring and fall.

I can only assume that my benefactor was tacitly encouraging me to deposit such silly dingbat trash in the nearest receptacle...and I dutifully did so immediately after extracting my reward, though I would have appreciated larger denominations for exposing myself to such an odious periodical.

Last edited:

Otter

Steelhead
All good natured humour and a reference to the movie Canadian Bacon and Southpark. I'm descended from Canada myself and a half breed with half my blood stemming from the maple leaf. Though even at that my American half may not be a smart man but it knows what bacon is. Napkins too.
Thanks, Dustin. I'm not familiar with movies these days, and had no idea there was one about bacon!
I'm sort of a halfer myself. On my mom's side, my great great great great great, whatever, was Myles Standish. He came over on the Mayflower.

krusty

Forum Supporter
There's nothing like Eurotrash screwing up a perfectly good continent. 😆

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
Graffiti came up earlier as a form of visual litter. This belongs in an urban environment IMO. What really bothers me is painted rocks and other forms of “nature art” left in the woods and along park trails. Also primitive skills structures. These items are not safe within my presence and quickly get dismantled or thrown deep into the brush. I escape my urban environment and go to nature for its pure beauty. The interference of man’s mark in nature is simply not needed and will get dismantled every chance I get.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Graffiti came up earlier as a form of visual litter. This belongs in an urban environment IMO. What really bothers me is painted rocks and other forms of “nature art” left in the woods and along park trails. Also primitive skills structures. These items are not safe within my presence and quickly get dismantled or thrown deep into the brush. I escape my urban environment and go to nature for its pure beauty. The interference of man’s mark in nature is simply not needed and will get dismantled every chance I get.
Dave - I'm unsure what a primitive skills structure is but I don't mind seeing driftwood primitive structures along a beach shoreline and stone balancing pieces are fun to look at and I think, for the most part, harmless:

IMG_0838.jpg

I really dislike seeing the results of rattlecan grafitti when I'm out on a nature walk, fishing, sightseeing..... I certainly agree with you on this.

Meanwhile, back to litter. Only seven adult beverage containers on my hike out from the lake today. Best/Pat

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
A couple years ago a few intact Coors cans - usually with about 10% "beer" still inside - would show up at the end of our driveway every Sat and Sun morning. For MONTHS. We're just up from an all-way stop, so I figured it was HS kids with some kind of chug-it-before-X-driveway game going on. I finally put this in the driveway on weekend nights. They targeted it for a few weeks then stopped altogether.
Maybe we should put some at beaches:
20210319_164246.jpg

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Don't you just love the graffiti at Eagle Falls on highway 2? Totally classy and cool for sure. I mean I always like to feel like I'm in a bad part of Chicago when I go floating by on a pristine river to run a picturesque series of falls next to the highway.

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
Dave - I'm unsure what a primitive skills structure is but I don't mind seeing driftwood primitive structures along a beach shoreline and stone balancing pieces are fun to look at and I think, for the most part, harmless:

View attachment 106332

I really dislike seeing the results of rattlecan grafitti when I'm out on a nature walk, fishing, sightseeing..... I certainly agree with you on this.

Meanwhile, back to litter. Only seven adult beverage containers on my hike out from the lake today. Best/Pat
Pat, good point on driftwood structures and piled up rocks along a river bank or shoreline. For some reason this doesn’t bother me at all and I’ve been known to seek out the shade of driftwood shelters now and again. What I mean by primitive structures is the bushcraft stuff that people leave behind in the woods like this.
IMG_2740.jpeg
I appreciate the craft but would prefer that people adopt a leave no trace mentality around this practice and break down what they create.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Pat, good point on driftwood structures and piled up rocks along a river bank or shoreline. For some reason this doesn’t bother me at all and I’ve been known to seek out the shade of driftwood shelters now and again. What I mean by primitive structures is the bushcraft stuff that people leave behind in the woods like this.
View attachment 106365
I appreciate the craft but would prefer that people adopt a leave no trace mentality around this practice and break down what they create.
Well, those are built by sasquatch, obviously

krusty

Forum Supporter
View attachment 106365
Actually looks kinda like a Hallmark Frosty Friends christmas ornament.

All it needs is a toothless meth-head cuddling a 180 lb pitbull to complete its message of wholesome holiday cheer.

Last edited: