Favorite float tube?

LBL

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
OK, which is it and why? I’m in the market. Have a Clearwater for shorter carrys but I need one for longer jaunts.
Pros, cons, durability, weight, imho’s.
Have one you want to sell? Also let me know!

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
This thread is timely. I'm planning to buy my first tube.

Hopefully this doesn't hijack the thread, but my main dilemma is deciding between one that is sturdy and one that is packable. The whole alpine lake thing is appealing, but I don't know if I'll ever do it.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Start at the top. Buy once. Super Fat Cat.

Here's a damning review of the new design.

live in Antigua in the Caribbean and guide in excess of 150 days per year from a fleet of Outcast Super Fat Cats. Myself and my clients (most of whom are entirely new to float tubing) without exception find them extremely stable and comfortable platforms from which to cast as we target fish like tarpon and other saltwater gamefish like snook, snapper, jacks and barracuda from them. My only real source of grief is the fact that in the more recent incarnations of the Super Fat Cat – Outcast has for some reason chosen a 2-tone colour scheme…. Not only does this make for extra unnecessary seams to stitch (and to possibly fail) but the fact that 2 colours are present means that each colour reacts at different rates to the UV light. I have purchased 8 Super Fat Cats now and despite a thorough washdown each and very time they are used – 4 of these 2 tone boats have failed in less than 1 year – all in the same place – along the waterline in the lighter coloured tan strip which bleaches out in a month or two to white and subsequently becomes weak and thereby prone to failure. When i initially raised this issue Outcast was quick to point out that they are not warrantied against UV degradation – however Outcast’s original ‘single tone’ green models of the Super Fat Cat both lasted almost 3 years with the exact same usage before the outer skin gave in to the sun’s rays The 2 tone scheme is not a step forward in style in my opinion (I have not managed to impress more fish with it to my knowledge) but rather it is a large step backwards for me financially as I have to replace them 3 times as often. It seems pointless to me at least to warranty a boat for 5 years yet deliberately build in a hidden weakness ensuring it will fail before it has to in a way which is not covered by the guarantee. If I were cynical i would say this is good for Outcast as it helps them to sell more boats…. But it’s bad for me as the consumer as I apparently have no comeback whatsoever in this regard….. And whilst I realise that mine are quite possibly “the world’s hardest working float tubes” – operating in strong sun and saltwater day after day – hopefully this info will heeded by the powers that be and that some future models will be amended taking this information into account – since the basic design and capabilities of the Super Fat Cat float tube are almost flawless in every other respect – and their largest and most serious defect is utterly avoidable.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
"...comfortable platforms from which to cast as we target fish like tarpon and other saltwater gamefish..."

Wow - Tarpon from a float tube sounds like a wild ride!

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
Good discussion from last year

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Here's a damning review of the new design.

When you find barracudas and saltwater in our local lakes, please let us know. 😉
My original foam seat SFC has to be going close to 15 years old now with lots of use.
I had a new, backup inflatable seat version that I sold because the original wouldn’t wear out.
SF

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I bought a Fish Cat Scout last year which is kind of a pontoon/tube hybrid. I actually bought the Sportsman’s warehouse version of this boat…which is the same exact boat, built by Outcast, with a different color skin…and half the price, especially when in sale. I love it. Lots of space. Fits inflated in the back of my short bed Tundra. Although I have not, I would be comfortable using it on “tame”rivers floats as well. Some pics. I am 6 feet and about 225.

2073D6C0-88E4-411E-94B4-763F51A4A0B3.jpeg

0C61056A-2BE2-475A-AAA7-FA8958207BEF.jpeg

F19C18F7-A70E-487F-88D8-F19E8DDCAC6E.jpeg

LBL

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thoughts??

Lost Creek 4 Float Tube - Gray/Orange​

Lost Creek 4 Float Tube - Gray/Orange - Gray/Orange

https://www.sportsmans.com/fishing-.../lost-creek-4-float-tube-grayorange/p/1523865

mickey rat

Vermin
For what it's worth a saw a Lost Creek LC9 which IS the Outcast 9-IR pontoon in my local Sportsmans Warehouse if anybody is looking for a hell of deal. $1210 vs $510. I had to pull myself away from that rebranded FC4 on the shelf below it. Love my Lost Creek Xstreamer/ Outcast Scout BTW.
Lake.jpg

mark wlker

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Used a Wood River "Gliderider" and a Trout Unlimited "Gallatin" for many years now. Quite happy with both.