Favorite float tube?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin

These look like ridiculously good value. Reviews say it's just a re-branded FishCat 4. I'll watch this thread for a few days, but I think I will get one of these.
This is likely the best deal you are going to find (assuming they are rebranded fishcats). My Fishcat 4 has served me really well and I can't imagine that anything else would be a better value for the money.

Dennisoft

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Very similar to the Fish Cat Scout, this is the Stealth Pro that I picked up from Greg Smith on the old site. It's not really packable but has a lot of good things going for it in terms of mobility on the water, easy fin kicking, mounts for all kinds of gear, and space for the pup on nice days. The SFC is also great at what it does, but mine hasn't seen much use now that I have this boat dialed in.

PXL_20230113_211959835.jpg

PXL_20221029_214237105.jpg

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The Stealth Pro looks more like a Watermaster competitor than a float tube alternative. I looked at them when they first came out but at more than 2X the weight of a SFC it was a non starter for me. Plus the length was hard to deal with and only one pocket for such a big boat was a handicap. At almost 85 I have to be very cognizant of weight and bulk since I fish alone so much. Lifting 35# onto a roof rack would have been child's play a few years ago but fast forward 25 years and 35# feels more like 50#!

I bought a Scadden Outlaw Predator back around 2015, a pontoon that weighed about 13# when new. It was seriously under engineered at the time but I got it for a song and looked at it as a blank palette for fine tuning. I have made quite a number of improvements to it over the years and have been quite happy with the results. I am well aware of Scadden's checkered reputation, in my humble opinion the Predator was only about 75% ready for production when it was released. As a quality assurance guy I would have never released the boat for production at such a low level of development. Nor would I have paid full price.

But at 'Ive's Cut and Try Tool and Die' shop it has been transformed into what it should have been to begin with-a very nice boat.

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
Gotta agree with Ive on the Scadden Outlaw Predator. The weight and design are the draws, the downside is that you better be ready to modify/glue the final functional necessities yourself. I'm good with that and have been very happy with my boat. Dave's pricepoint for these boats is pretty reasonable, so that + my desire for a lighter river-capable frameless Uboat (I've already got the heavy end covered with a Watermaster Kodiak) = placing an order. Glad I wasn't in a rush - it was 6 months from the date I ordered to the day I received that boat.

Ron McNeal

Sound, Light, and Frequency...............
Forum Supporter
I remember the first time I sat in a friend's SFC. Holy Shit!!! I ordered one that afternoon. It's just really the standard.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
"...comfortable platforms from which to cast as we target fish like tarpon and other saltwater gamefish..."

Wow - Tarpon from a float tube sounds like a wild ride!
Sounds like a Nantucket sleigh ride to me...I caught a big tarpon from a 13' whaler on the gulf side of Costa Rica back in the early '90's...it easily turned the boat around like a bobber...
I bought a Fish Cat Scout last year which is kind of a pontoon/tube hybrid. I actually bought the Sportsman’s warehouse version of this boat…which is the same exact boat, built by Outcast, with a different color skin…and half the price, especially when in sale. I love it. Lots of space. Fits inflated in the back of my short bed Tundra. Although I have not, I would be comfortable using it on “tame”rivers floats as well. Some pics. I am 6 feet and about 225.

View attachment 53342

View attachment 53341

View attachment 53340
I have the same boat...like it a lot...

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Float tubing in saltwater for tarpon? 😮

Do those float tubes sit upon and attached to an under skirt shark cage?

Engee

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Just one?
I've been using the same old Outcast tube since the late 90's. It's so old it doesn't say Fishcat, Fatcat or anything but "Outcast Sporting Goods" on the side. It has a very slow leak in one bladder but is good for all day+. I can't find the leak and Outcast doesn't make replaceable bladders for it anymore. I'm tempted to buy a Lost Creek but don't know if I'll like the raised stripping apron. I like the apron that is just above my lap.DSCF2168[1].JPG

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I've been using the same old Outcast tube since the late 90's. It's so old it doesn't say Fishcat, Fatcat or anything but "Outcast Sporting Goods" on the side. It has a very slow leak in one bladder but is good for all day+. I can't find the leak and Outcast doesn't make replaceable bladders for it anymore. I'm tempted to buy a Lost Creek but don't know if I'll like the raised stripping apron. I like the apron that is just above my lap.View attachment 55396
I could call you "Cody - Mr. Modifier" as I know you'd firgure out a cool way to improve the stripping apron. Nice shirt, nice photo. ;-)

Engee

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I could call you "Cody - Mr. Modifier" as I know you'd firgure out a cool way to improve the stripping apron. Nice shirt, nice photo. ;-)
That's actually before I added the pontoon stiffener to prevent the apron from collapsing on my lap. It works great, but makes getting in and out of the tube with fins on somewhat of an art. I had a good photographer with me that day.

LBL

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I've been using the same old Outcast tube since the late 90's. It's so old it doesn't say Fishcat, Fatcat or anything but "Outcast Sporting Goods" on the side. It has a very slow leak in one bladder but is good for all day+. I can't find the leak and Outcast doesn't make replaceable bladders for it anymore. I'm tempted to buy a Lost Creek but don't know if I'll like the raised stripping apron. I like the apron that is just above my lap.View attachment 55396
I just fixed a slow leak in my Clearwater. It took two arduous try’s with the bladders out. 1 very slow forming clear bubble. Not a stream of bubbles nor did it form quickly. If you’re interested try soapy water (again I’m sure you did already and let it sit for a while and try multiple times. If there’s a leak there’s a hole but sometimes they are very slow to show. Tear-aid type A and I’m happy.
PS just got the Lost Creek. Not sure of the business model but can confirm it’s made by Outcast and has paperwork stating 5 year warranty.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I just fixed a slow leak in my Clearwater. It took two arduous try’s with the bladders out. 1 very slow forming clear bubble. Not a stream of bubbles nor did it form quickly. If you’re interested try soapy water (again I’m sure you did already and let it sit for a while and try multiple times. If there’s a leak there’s a hole but sometimes they are very slow to show. Tear-aid type A and I’m happy.
PS just got the Lost Creek. Not sure of the business model but can confirm it’s made by Outcast and has paperwork stating 5 year warranty.
Does your new tube have the backpack strap D rings on the bottom?

Reactions: LBL

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I have fixed a Buck's Bags bladder with Aqua Seal - 13 yrs and still going.