Favorite float tube?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Start at the top. Buy once. Super Fat Cat.
That's likely where I'm headed next. I still have my old Gen 1 Fish Cat which works fine, but something slightly larger with sturdier bladder material (on my second set of bladders on my FC, about the end of their life)

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Thoughts??

Lost Creek 4 Float Tube - Gray/Orange​

Lost Creek 4 Float Tube - Gray/Orange - Gray/Orange

https://www.sportsmans.com/fishing-.../lost-creek-4-float-tube-grayorange/p/1523865

These look like ridiculously good value. Reviews say it's just a re-branded FishCat 4. I'll watch this thread for a few days, but I think I will get one of these.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I'm more concerned about the reported UV damage.
Jared - I think I need to call you "Dude", you may well be overthinking this ;-) - I have a seven year old Super Fat Cat, orange and grey (two colors). I never leave this boat fully inflated sitting in the sun unless I'm taking a short shore break (pee, lunch). After fishing (afternoons) I backpack it to my truck fully inflated and then let some air out for the drive home. During fishing season, I store the boat inside a shed, partially inflated, protected from the sun and UV. Using some common sense, the boat is bulletproof. It's comfortable and very functional.

I'm 73, no way I would consider hiking this boat on an alpine lakes hike, it weights 13 pounds which ain't bad, it's all the gear needed for fishing from it. I sort of have about 1.5 miles as my maximum limit hiking in distance because, as everyone knows, the return hike is at least double the hike in.

PA140098.JPG

I've been crazy enough to hike in with four fly rods.....

Last edited:

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Jared - I think I need to call you "Dude", you may well be overthinking this ;-) - I have a seven year old Super Fat Cat, orange and grey (two colors). I never leave this boat fully inflated sitting in the sun unless I'm taking a short shore break (pee, lunch). After fishing (afternoons) I backpack it to my truck fully inflated and then let some air out for the drive home. During fishing season, I store the boat inside a shed, partially inflated, protected from the sun and UV. Using some common sense, the boat is bulletproof. It's comfortable and very functional.

I'm 73, no way I would consider hiking this boat on an alpine lakes hike, it weights 13 pounds which ain't bad, it's all the gear needed for fishing from it. I sort of have about 1.5 miles as my maximum limit hiking in distance because, as everyone knows, the return hike is at least double the hike in.

View attachment 53373

Buzzy makes a good point, Jared. Never leave your new tube fully inflated in the sun, in a hot car, or when going up in elevation, because the air inside the bladders will expand.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
Surprised nobody has mentioned the wilderness lite yet...
Despite one of the OP's requirements for a more "portable" PWC,
Have a Clearwater for shorter carrys but I need one for longer jaunts.
It didn't sound like he intended to carry the tube for miles.
Hiking-backpacking 2 to 8 miles into lakes where my WL BPro has been ideal because of its small packed size and low 3.4lb weight are not the preferred durability, comfortable & relatively dry sitting position, and roomy characteristics my SFC has for walk-ins of up to just a few hundred yards.

Last edited:

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I feel like such trash. I just have a Fat Cat, no super. I love it.

If you are thinking about carrying a float tube to walk-in waters, be sure to check the underside for D rings for attaching backpacking straps before you buy. Not all makes and models are packable. Buy straps when you buy the tube so you aren't trying to find a set the day before a trip.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
Despite one of the OP's requirements for a more "portable" PWC,

It didn't sound like he intended to carry the tube for miles.
Hiking-backpacking 2 to 8 miles into lakes where my WL BPro has been ideal because of its small packed size and low 3.4lb weight are not the preferred durability, comfortable & relatively dry sitting position, and roomy characteristics my SFC has for walk-ins of up to just a few hundred yards.
BTW, the SFC I purchased in 2022 has a stripping apron with magnetic rear fasteners that is much nicer than the older "4 vertical stays in sleeves" style that my (pre-WL BPro) Trinity had several years ago. I see they also now have a velcro version in their accessories catalog... maybe for the lower cost models???

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Since I'm about 80# lighter than Billy I have even more room and have always enjoyed the comfort of the bigger boat. As for lasting, as near as I can remember I bought mine in about 2003 and now-like me-it is a grizzled veteran. And we both look it!

I have carried it on my back dozens of times over the years and have 2 suggestions. Buy padded straps if you can, mine live in the pocket on the back of the seat when not in use. And the 2nd is to use a waist belt along with the back straps. Without the waist belt the boat will sway with each step and it becomes tiring to compensate for that.

Durability has never been an issue.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Shit wears out. The more you use it, the quicker it wears out.
Yup....and the wear is a reminder of the good times you've had using a piece of equipment.

T

Tombraider

Lenice is a half mile walk. Longest walk I've done. Did fine but I don't like the stress put on those D-rings. Outcast makes padded straps, get em. Don't leave it inflated, keep outa sun when not used. Last a long time.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter

View attachment 53373

20230210_110053.jpg
The Master in action. Notice the intense concentration. 😍

Last edited:

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
I just got a brand new super fat cat this year. Since I'm 6-6 and 245 ish I think the added room will be really nice. It seems super well made and my guess is that it will last many years. Will report back on March 1st😁
Did you consider the Prowler?
Somewhat heavier but a better fit for a big guy. I pack mine up to a mile and a half and I'm 68 years old.20220426_224745.jpg