Evan's boat projects: floor replacement

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Ugh that's gonna cost a fortune to dispose of... they charged me $80. to dispose of a polyethylene kayak. Can't imagine what he'd be charged for an actual fiberglass boat.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
I got rid of an old boat at the Evergreen Fairgrounds Speedway. They occasionally have races towing boats around the track. There cojld be something similar down in the PDX area?

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Ugh that's gonna cost a fortune to dispose of... they charged me $80. to dispose of a polyethylene kayak. Can't imagine what he'd be charged for an actual fiberglass boat.
I disposed of a big fiberglass hull at the landfill a few years ago for $200. I know there's sometimes other deals for getting rid of junk boats but haven't paid too close attention.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Back to track; if your pizza oven is any indicator, you're finished boat product is gonna be fantastic.
My pizza oven is in a similar state of "I'll get to it definitely at some point but not today" 😂

1000003808.jpg

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
last wood floor project I helped on, owner replaced them with MDO primed and painted all sides and edges, final topcoat with Totalboat TotalTread...that was decade ago, when I fished on the boat last fall, floors still looked go to go.
What is MDO?

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Not in any particular hurry so progress is slow. Finally got the floor pieces all cut. Next is priming the to seal em up.

Also cut a piece of diamond plate from a scrap piece I had to use for the bow deck area that attaches to the storage box.

Was actually more challenging than I anticipated because the pieces kind of fit in that indentation that goes around the edge. So it had to be more precise than it seemed. Even a half inch too much and it wouldn't slip past the overhang. Cut off too much and you have an unsightly gap.

View attachment 90239
Cutting and fitting a piece of wood into a specific space is the hardest thing to do!

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
MDO is created using waterproof resin-impregnated fibers bonded under heat and pressure, creating a waterproof panel once sealed with paint, used as the go to for exterior signs. Very durable as a re-deck for boats.
and that was what I had intended to shop for. Unfortunately, neither my local Lowes nor Home Depot had real MDO. I found some by calling Mr. Plywood in Portland, but decided that the extra money probably wasn't worth it if I'm just sealing it off anyways.

Yes, MDO and Marine Plywood are both superior products to exterior-rated plywood, but my research indicates that the method in which I'm using thinned marine primer to penetrate and seal off the outer layers, then layering over that with the deck tread paint, I'll be good for a long while with it.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
Medium Density Overlay, if I remember correctly.

Think plywood, with a thin face and back of MDF (the good particle board). Commonly used for big signs. Also commonly used for boat floors by many manufacturers. Good solid stuff.
Thanks.👍

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
MDO is created using waterproof resin-impregnated fibers bonded under heat and pressure, creating a waterproof panel once sealed with paint, used as the go to for exterior signs. Very durable as a re-deck for boats.

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
What's the advantage of the paint you are using to glassing it and gel-coating over it?

I assume that it is less time consuming and probably lighter. Will it be as durable as glass and gel-coat? Could you gel-coat over the primer?

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
What's the advantage of the paint you are using to glassing it and gel-coating over it?

I assume that it is less time consuming and probably lighter. Will it be as durable as glass and gel-coat? Could you gel-coat over the primer?
I do have everything to glass it, but I think this is going to just work better overall. One issue with glassing the floors is it adds bulk that can make it hard to account for when cutting the pieces. It's such a tight squeeze to fit these in to where they need to sit that I wouldn't want to bother with that. Overall, I don't see a huge advantage to going the glass route for this. Lots more work, heavier, harder to measure for, and end product isn't necessarily any better.

Also, what you see in the photo is just the primer. Once I get all the pieces primed (which seals them up), I will install them in the boat, add primer to each rivet that is holding it down to seal those up, then go over the top with Deck tread paint.

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Your reasoning makes sense. I figured that the weight would be an issue. I dis not think about the measuring/ bulk.

I used either that product or a similar one before. I liked it. You seem to be doing it right.

The only other way to do something like this is with a plastic floor. They are pretty darned heavy and uber-expensive.